Focus tips for 600mm lens (Sony setup)

Edit My Images
Yes
I finally got my mitts on a Sony 200-600mm to go with my A7R ii. I took it for a test drive yesterday and missed some nice shots due to the AF focusing on foreground objects such as low hanging branches. Any tips without using manual focus to get my setup to focus where I want?

First, a disclaimer - I'm not a Sony (big camera!) user.

On my Fujis, I have had similar problems and have sometimes sidestepped them by making the AF point as small as possible and being as accurate as possible with my aim. I do sometimes have to resort to manually tweaking the focus to my subject and then the AF seems to stay locked on to that distance.

I finally got my mitts on a Sony 200-600mm to go with my A7R ii. I took it for a test drive yesterday and missed some nice shots due to the AF focusing on foreground objects such as low hanging branches. Any tips without using manual focus to get my setup to focus where I want?
On my Nikon, I use back button focus and have the main button set to work on a group AF pattern, and the joystick used to set the position of the focussing area, set to back button focus on single point AF.

I then just push one or the other buttons depending on the subject.

Having said that, I still find manual focussing more useful on occasions e.g an egret behind reeds moving in the wind, but don't find switching to manual focus much of an issue I assume the Sony lenses work the same was as the Nikon lenses do, in that they automatically switch between manual focus or auto focus depending on what you are doing.

I find it pretty seamless to move between area AF, single point AF and manual AF with this set up.

That’s a problem with most big zoom lens, it not the lens itself, but the fact that at the exteme end of the zoom, a minor movement on the object will Cause the focus to be lost.
one way to reduce this is use a tripod or support, but it won’t always do the trick. And another is to take the image at a lesser focal length and do a crop in camera or photoshop

Last edited:
Check the set of slide switches by the lens mount - one is the focus range limiter, you can set it to full range, 2.4m-10m, or 10m-infinity.
If you know your subject is always going to be in one of the restricted range brackets, that can help avoid the sort of problem you're getting.

There is an issue with the 200-600mm and one of the a7r bodies, but I can’t recall which. The lens just doesn’t seem to like it and many people report focus issues with that combo.
However if that’s not it, then use single point, on the smallest setting, not any of the wide or expanded spot modes.

I use an a9 with that lens in dense woodland and don’t have many issues with it focusing anywhere else but where I want. Very occasionally if there is a branch in front of an animal it might, but not that often.

In the image below, the boar was actually behind a bush, and the cameras still focused on the boar fine, without any intervention from me. All the green bokeh was between me and the boar. I put the single focus point over the eye and used the back button as usual.

The easiest way is to select a single AF point and move it around the frame with the rear controls as and when required. No need to get too fancy, just make sure that the AF point doesn't come anywhere near the overhanging branch or whatever the foreground distraction is, or there is a good chance the AF will pick up on it

Mike

Thanks for the tips! @TCR4x4 do you mean you use flexible spot small? I've just played with this option and it seems like it may be useful in the said situations.

I also see Lock-On Expand Flexible Spot could be useful too.

It depends on your subject I prefer the zone most of the time and have it on back button focus with animal/bird to help it track.
It's not an easy lens to use hand held but can be done and usually it's best to have it in burst mode and fire at least 4 or 5 shots.
I have the focus area options set to cycle on down arrow custom button as sometimes you want to shrink it down.

Thanks for the tips! @TCR4x4 do you mean you use flexible spot small? I've just played with this option and it seems like it may be useful in the said situations.

I also see Lock-On Expand Flexible Spot could be useful too.
Yes, flexible spot small or medium works best for me. I don’t like expand flexible spot for in woodland settings, too easy to trigger one of the outlying points, just use one single point And move it around with the joystick.

There is an issue with the 200-600mm and one of the a7r bodies, but I can’t recall which. The lens just doesn’t seem to like it and many people report focus issues with that combo.
However if that’s not it, then use single point, on the smallest setting, not any of the wide or expanded spot modes.

I use an a9 with that lens in dense woodland and don’t have many issues with it focusing anywhere else but where I want. Very occasionally if there is a branch in front of an animal it might, but not that often.

In the image below, the boar was actually behind a bush, and the cameras still focused on the boar fine, without any intervention from me. All the green bokeh was between me and the boar. I put the single focus point over the eye and used the back button as usual.

It was the a7R4 that allegedly doesn't get on with the 200-600.
TBH, I had no problems at all with mines

Back