Focusing Technique

Name
Alistair Vannet
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm finding with my 20d that alot of my shots are OOF(more that the norm I would think). I know that the Af on the 20d is not top notch but I tend to be an idiot most of the time so i always look at what i have done first. When ever I'm focusing on a moving subject I hold the button halfway down follow and click or alow to focus and click straight away. Is this the right way, I know of ways with the * button but I've never really got into it. Shots that are distant are 90% of the time OOF. just got me a bit worried :( . Thanks ally

I think it depends on what mode your camera is in, in some modes it will follow focus, in others it won't. (at least that's the way with the 300d)

I was dissappointed with focus problems when I first got my 20D.... then I learned to set it to only use the center focus point and use the others manually :)

Have you tried AI servo mode on moving targets? Speed is always an issue and sometimes manual focus on a position and wait for the target to cross is the only way to nail it.

The ai servo mode is probably the best for moving subjects

The only way you're going to know if its a camera fault or operator error is get it set up on a tripod and take a photo of a static object using a cable release.

If it can't take an acceptable photo like this then its broke otherwise it's you that's broke :p
:)

I find that I use single-servo most of the time for the reason that anything else always seems to default to nearest-subject regardless of what custom settings I set.
If all else fails, go to manual and trust your eyes.

Back