Focusing Video

Edit My Images
Yes
I am videoing a building project with my 650D and I dont use the auto focus. I am finding it very difficult to be sure I am in focus.
Any tips please?

Last edited:
The best tip I can give is to use as small an aperture as possible, that way you have a great depth of field.

Thank you, I have been using f11 with that in mind but its not easy is it?

No, it's not :)

What you can do, before you press record, is use the zoom function and then check your focus then start recording. Obviously if anything moves then afterwards then it goes back to being incredibly difficult!!

No, it's not :)

What you can do, before you press record, is use the zoom function and then check your focus then start recording. Obviously if anything moves then afterwards then it goes back to being incredibly difficult!!

On a video lens, you zoom in and focus, then zoom out, but a stills lens isn't parfocal and this doesn't work. Focal distance can change by metres.

I think he was suggesting zooming in Live view not the actual focal length of the lens, about which you are quite correct. Focussing on the go for video is not an easy task with a DSLR, better to set up the shot correctly then if refocussing required take the next clip, videos are always a collection of clips in any case rather than a continuous shot. If you have to do a moving shot, use a small aperture and wide angle lens to maximise DOF.

Do we know when Magic Lantern will be available or the 650d? That has focus peaking which helps a lot ( and zebras).

Get yourself a viewfinder like the LCDVF.

Ah, now that looks good. I had looked at the possibility of a viewfinder but only found the Zacuto, and that was too expensive. This looks a great option. Many thanks for that.

If you know what you are shooting:

Set some marks on the floor, or things like a landmark/tree for example, and mark on your lens where the focus is for that object, do the same for other focal points in your shot.

Then you can zip to the focus point and be bang on every time.

Back