Focussing screen for macro

Canon Bob

Loves the Enemy
Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I intend to replace the focussing screen on a 30D to assist with manual focus when shooting macro. Has anybody gone down this route on a crop bodied Canon and have opinions to offer.
The camera will remain dedicated to this type of useage so any drawbacks it may bring with normal type shooting aren't an issue....ie, darker viewfinder etc. There are several manufacturers offering these items and I'd like to weed out the cheap and nasties.

Cheers Bob

I actually managed to pick up a canon magnifier S, it clips over the eye piece and is pretty good, its a shame canon dont make it any more, but I found this in stock through B&H photo, however they are no longer in stock, another good source would be ebay etc.

Can post a picture if you like

Brad,

Thanks for replying...

I've got a viewfinder magnifier and an angle finder C which magnifies to 2.5x but I'm looking to improve the hit rate a little more when using an MP-E65 at 5:1. My hope is that a split screen focussing aid will help..

Bob

Bob are you sure it's your focussing and not you moving in and out of focus due to the nature of a shallow focal plane? Even breathing can knock you off focus sometimes. If the latter all the screens on earth won't help.

Bob are you sure it's your focussing and not you moving in and out of focus due to the nature of a shallow focal plane? Even breathing can knock you off focus sometimes. If the latter all the screens on earth won't help.

Alby,

Breathing is something that I'm a little addicted to and don't plan to give up just yet....maybe next years "new year resolution"

I set the mag and then focus by moving in and out...focus rail if I'm on a tripod...but I was just looking for something like my old Zenith and Pentax had, split prism type thing. Katzeyes make them but I can't find much in the way of opinions as to whether they're a small aid or the real "bingo"
Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and order one.

Let me know how the new Pentax glass works...I have suspicions that I'll be in the market for something similar very soon :crying:

Bob

I know what you mean, I still have all my old cameras, zeniths and A Series canon :LOL: just can't seem to part with them. I still use them from time 2 time. The glasses thing comes to us all sooner or later so do worry about it ;) I have seen these screens on the net too and the split focus lens I think would be great. Keep me informed how you get on installing it please Bob ;) The Pentax lenses are clear bright and in focus ;)

Yes, as soon as I made the post I realised that I had got it wrong. Not quite up to speed yet, heavy night.
If you do manage to get what you want, I would be very interested to see how you get on with it. The old split screen is what I miss most.
Cheers. G

Yes, as soon as I made the post I realised that I had got it wrong. Not quite up to speed yet, heavy night.
If you do manage to get what you want, I would be very interested to see how you get on with it. The old split screen is what I miss most.
Cheers. G

Just bit the bullet and ordered one. It'll take 3-5 days for manufacture and then delivery from the US.

I'll report back in a few weeks time.

Bob

Bob, have you thought about using a single AF point and servo AF for your macro shots?

shock horror :LOL:

Bob, have you thought about using a single AF point and servo AF for your macro shots?

shock horror :LOL:

Only when the caterpillars start chasing me....:puke:

Bob

You need to stand your ground when those caterpillars burst from cover.... nasty little buggers. :LOL:

I'm sure you have the 180L? Try it on servo - I find it quick and very positive. That's off a tripod and using a gimbal head mind you.

You need to stand your ground when those caterpillars burst from cover.... nasty little buggers. :LOL:

I'm sure you have the 180L? Try it on servo - I find it quick and very positive. That's off a tripod and using a gimbal head mind you.

You've exceeded the bounds of common decency now CT. The 180L is far too good to make jokes about.

Mods...where are you when you're needed ?

Bob

Back