Fogged up Lens

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Had my lens fog up today on a shoot for the first time. It was used last week in pretty horrific weather. Did it fog up as it didn't dry correctly/enough as this hasn't happened to me before or is there an underlying issue??

Is it the front element that fogs-up or inside the lens, zoom or prime?
I sometimes experience my lens fogging up if it travels in a warm car interior and is then exposed to a colder and damp exterior temperature. I carry lens wipes/cleaner tissues to clear the front element, although it can take several minutes to completely clear.

Probably nothing else for it but to leave it at room temperature for a while and see if it dries out. Otherwise you could investigate the properties of a bag of Basmati rice. That is supposed to work.

as above.

Probably nothing else for it but to leave it at room temperature for a while and see if it dries out. Otherwise you could investigate the properties of a bag of Basmati rice. That is supposed to work.

But don't do a iPhone owners do, put it straight in the rice, do as Android owners do an wrap it in cloth first to stop the rice dust from getting into the lens. :)

I'd suggest getting some silica gel and a suitable airtight container. Seal the lens in the container with the silica gel and put it somewhere dry and warm for a day or two.

I'd suggest getting some silica gel and a suitable airtight container. Seal the lens in the container with the silica gel and put it somewhere dry and warm for a day or two.
Silica gel is very hard to get it seams now. I used to have several 200g bags (used for waveguides) but haven't been able to find any lately.

Would be interested in an economical source.

(out of interest, why would you need to put the airtight container somewhere warm and dry :) )

Silica gel is very hard to get it seams now. I used to have several 200g bags (used for waveguides) but haven't been able to find any lately.

Would be interested in an economical source.

(out of interest, why would you need to put the airtight container somewhere warm and dry :) )
Amazon 1kg for £13.80

The airing cupboad in most houses is dry and warm, both salt and rice as said above will help remove mositure. I'd be tempted to leave the caps off but cover the camera end with kitchen paper to keep out dust.
Personally I'd go for the airing cupboard first or take it out in the sun... if you can find it.

Just spread your Silica Gel bags out on a tray and place into your oven set at 110-120c for an hour to an hour and a half.

Pack freely around all pieces of equipment to ensure the prevention of the dreaded fungus.

Back