Fold up bed

Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought a Wayfair Terrone, by Brayden Studio, fold away bed for the spare room. The idea is it folds into it own box and comes requiring, to quote Wayfair, self assembly. Hmmm, 5 boxes were delivered by very fit Polish guys, 2 off. So after opening some of them, those I couldn't actually man handle upstairs in one go I started to get a bit concerned with the number of parts and the complete lack of instructions. Eventually box 3 contained the pictorial instructions, all 18 pages of them with 3 drawings per page.
Now, I am pretty good with this flat pack stuff, but it was heavy going in the extreme.
I have blisters on my palms from the multitude of bolts, screws and connectors that I have screwed in, twisted round or tightened all weekend.
I started Saturday at 11 had a quick lunch and fell into the shower at 6 exhausted and stinking like a horse, the good news was that by then I had inserted all the screws and connectors bad news was I hadn't actually put any panels together.
I continued on Sunday, starting at 10 as I knew I was going to be whacking bits together and didn't want to cheese off my neighbour.
And so it continued, it's just about all together now, just need to add the back panels, fix the wall brackets, remove the skirting, move an electric socket, decorate the room to repair the damage I have caused moving a mains socket, all that is for next weekend.
I finished today at 6, exhausted and smelling like a horse again, collapsing into the shower again.

Funny I thought I was going to take some photos this weekend.

Best bit is we will probably never actually use it as a bed, just wanted to create some space so the Mrs can use it as her craft room and put someone up if needs be.

Ho hum, must be worth a few browny points.

Matt

Last edited:
Sounds more like manufacture than assembly :(

Saturday morning and most of the afternoon saw the project finished apart from redecorating.

IMG_0685_1.jpg IMG_0686_1.jpg
lets bloody see it then!!!

1 = closed
2 = open

As requested :)

Doesnt look much for all the effort does it?
Straps are just to hold the bedding together when its being closed, undo to sleep.

Matt

Last edited:
Dual height blow up air bed would have been cheaper and quicker

A bed-settee might have been a better choice.;)
Too big even when folded up, it would have had to lie under the window so it could be folded down the room, in its "stored" position it would have clashed with the desk we have which runs parallel to the bed on the other wall.
We did give it quite some thought and this was the only practical solution or a fold up bed but that wouldnt have offered enough comfort.

Dual height blow up air bed would have been cheaper and quicker
Having "slept" on one of those a few times, we do actually have one, both single and double size and had it slowly deflate a little during the night comfortable wasnt something I would have described it as, and I cant see getting my dad to sleep on that would be an option, again, a double would have been too big.

You've done a grand job, but damn, that's a lot of money for a single bed! :eek:

You've done a grand job, but damn, that's a lot of money for a single bed! :eek:
Especially one that wont get used .....................

After reading that I think a couple of camp beds are a better idea, about 30 seconds to put up and ok for a the odd few nights. To be honest all those "airbed" things I've tried alway go flat overnight.

After reading that I think a couple of camp beds are a better idea, about 30 seconds to put up and ok for a the odd few nights. To be honest all those "airbed" things I've tried alway go flat overnight.
We did evaluate all the options and tbh if we'd known how much work was involved with putting together the thing we bought I'd suggest we may not have gone with what we did. However if "we" ignore the blood, sweat and near tears that went with constructing the "bed", I think on balance we took the best option.
We now have a room that for most of it's life will be my wife's craft room, possibly I may be allowed a small area to put my laptop and spare screen occasionally so I can do some photo editing away from the noise and discomfort of the kitchen diner, much though I love our house layout the kitchen diner isnt the best location for using a laptop.
On balance, moving might have been cheaper and less stressful :)

Matt

We did evaluate all the options and tbh if we'd known how much work was involved with putting together the thing we bought I'd suggest we may not have gone with what we did. However if "we" ignore the blood, sweat and near tears that went with constructing the "bed", I think on balance we took the best option.
We now have a room that for most of it's life will be my wife's craft room, possibly I may be allowed a small area to put my laptop and spare screen occasionally so I can do some photo editing away from the noise and discomfort of the kitchen diner, much though I love our house layout the kitchen diner isnt the best location for using a laptop.
On balance, moving might have been cheaper and less stressful :)

Matt

That's what your lap is for.
Seriously, effort and cost aside, it does look nice all folded up....better than a sofa bed.
And there's no reason you can't store a (couple) traditional foldup beds in the garage/loft for more visitors.

I've got a seemingly simple single bed in the spare room that hides another single underneath that can be set up to make a double, or put up in another room.

You have to set up your house for your life, not for possible visitors lives. :)

Back