Folding 35mm camera

The point about the 35mm format is that it is small enough not to need folding... there are "trapdoor" types like the Minox's of the world though...

But then you still have a lens sticking out the front, I really want a nice pocketable 35mm camera.

Olympus AX? Most 35mm cameras (the compacts that is) will "slip in your pocket" - that's why they are compact!

Any of Olympus' XA series are nice and small. I have an XA3 myself for those occasions when I can't take my SLR gear with me. They're zone-focussing with auto exposure, except the XA which offers rangefinder focussing and allows you to set your aperture.

Last edited:
Let me add another requirement, metal body and full manual.

sorry to be picky

Let me add another requirement, metal body and full manual.

Perhaps an Olympus 35 RC may be what you're looking for. I'm not an expert on them, but I think you can set shutter speeds manually on them too.

Seems fairly tempting, may have a punt on one on ebay and then sell it if that lens is a bit stickier out than it would seem.

Seems fairly tempting, may have a punt on one on ebay and then sell it if that lens is a bit stickier out than it would seem.

I'm not saying they don't exist, but to be honest I can't think off the top of my head any metal bodied compacts which are fully manual with the lens recessed into the body. Most of the old compacts I know which offered manual control & focussing had the lens protruding.

Well the last 3 on fleabay went for £35+post - the one I posted BIN was a bit dear - watch this one instead - I've got it's big brother - the Perkeo I - much the same, but uses 120 film :)

Well the last 3 on fleabay went for £35+post - the one I posted BIN was a bit dear - watch this one instead - I've got it's big brother - the Perkeo I - much the same, but uses 120 film :)

Now were talking thanks, I wouldn't have found that before as it dosen't have 35mm in its name. I've added it to my watch list. (y)

Now were talking thanks, I wouldn't have found that before as it dosen't have 35mm in its name. I've added it to my watch list. (y)

Ah, I see what you were after. I was trying to think of a camera which was fully operational manually with the lens still recessed into the body rather than the lens popping out first. ;)

Same mistake I made! there are the type with pull-out lens too - the Zorki and FED (not to mention Baldina, Leica etc.)... folders - Retina and Vito as has been said, quite a few Certo models (Dollina, Durata) and Weltini to name a few more.

Last edited:
Therev were a number of 35mm folding bellows cameras in the 1950's and I have one that was my father In Law's a Kodak Retinette,however like all bellows cameras the bellows do rot over the decades so you may have difficulty in finding a working one.

Same mistake I made! there are the type with pull-out lens too - the Zorki and FED (not to mention Baldina, Leica etc.)... folders - Retina and Vito as has been said, quite a few Certo models (Dollina, Durata) and Weltini to name a few more.

I knew you'd be able to reel a few names off, Arthur... :LOL:

Back