Folkestone In A New Light

Ian D J

Michael Fish
Name
Ian D J
Edit My Images
Yes
Have to say thanks to Mikehamilton for making me aware that there are those lights only around the corner from my house, and also to inspire me to get myself back out with my trusty D3100.

Indeed, some nice decorative LED lights has been installed in the old inner harbour wall. Not sure if it's only for the festive period or it'll be a permenant fixture but it made for what it has been a successful and enjoyable photography opportunity (even though it was freezing cold and my trainers are now covered with silt!).

1) At dusk.

Harbour%2BLights%2B11%2B3.jpg

Then a little later when it was properly dark . . .

2)

Harbour%2BLights%2B11%2B1.jpg

3)

Harbour%2BLights%2B11%2B2.jpg

4)

Harbour%2BLights%2B11%2B4.jpg

5) And of course, I had to nick Michael's idea. Except in this case, the tide was right out so I had to get to the end of the jetty to get this effect:

Harbour%2BLights%2B11%2B5.jpg

I like shot #4 (y) but to me they are all crying out "HDR me" :shrug:

I'm not a massive fan of light and long exposures outdoors so some of the shots are wasted on me :LOL:

I love he first shot, there's so much potential in that to add in a burst of flash (or do some lightpainting) onto the hull of the boat in the foreground. The background exposure is absolutely spot-on and there's a real atmosphere about the shot - I just feel the front boat need lifting out of the darkness a little :)

I like shot #4 (y) but to me they are all crying out "HDR me" :shrug:

Actually, it's only recently that I've got into HDR so I could create HDR versions in a next attempt, but I am finding myself wondering if HDR actually does work at night time?

I'm not a massive fan of light and long exposures outdoors so some of the shots are wasted on me :LOL:

I love he first shot, there's so much potential in that to add in a burst of flash (or do some lightpainting) onto the hull of the boat in the foreground. The background exposure is absolutely spot-on and there's a real atmosphere about the shot - I just feel the front boat need lifting out of the darkness a little :)

Oooo, now I do like the light painting aspect of it. Will try that next time I go there.
But this time I will wear wellies instead of my best trainers as it's quite silty in places - and a friend with me to keep an eye on the camera while I run around with a torch.

Ian.

These are fantastic; you have made me want to go back down there at low tide now :)
Mike

(y)

And thank you for providing me that much needed kick start.

Wear wellies if you want to get inside the harbour area, though. It is perfectly safe (and quiet too) to wander about in there, but it does get a little "silty" in places.

Really good use of colour in all of them. A good set there. (y)

Look nice enough to me(y) I stayed in that hotel in No 2 a few weeks ago;)

Another fan of no.3 here. I think that's absolutely stunning :clap:
Lovely sweeping curve in the sand, just the right amount of reflection and I like the little detail of the stone / shell on the beach.
No.5 comes a close second, but it's perhaps just a little too simple for me compared to 3 and let down slightly by the orange crane(?) in the b/g.

I do like the others too. However, they're a little too busy for my personal taste. Perhaps as suggested some more light on the boat in no.1 would make more of a feature of it and bring that one to life though.

Cheers for all the positive comments and handy tips. (y)

Looks like a spot of light painting on boats may be on the cards, then. :D I have done a bit of light painting before (some of you may remember my "Ghost Bike" photo but that was over a year ago).
Might make this one an early morning thing when there's nobody about - and when the tide is low, of course!

Awesome shots, the lights are sooo pwetty... number 3 is fantastic, but for me I just love the simplicity of number 5. The lights themselves are busy vibrant full of energy, and then the reflections on the water is simply muted, calm and soothing

The abstraction of the last image is very appealing.

Shame about the van, though.

Back