Critique Folkestone Little Mermaid

I was thinking "how come I didn't see these scene's the other week" then I realised I was in Felixstowe :facepalm:

The pier/harbour wall is a bit of a plain image to me, nothing catches my eye. Maybe a different angle and better weather would work (the available light looks a bit 'flat')

I kinda like the little mermaid but would have waited till there were less clouds behind her, I would have liked to see more of what she is sitting on.

The little mermaid looking out over the beach is ok too but I may be tempted to frame the shot differently. The horizon is close to the middle of your shot but I love the sky. Maybe a crop would work.

The harbour I love, best of them IMO. I don't like the hotel in the background though, again a different angle looking more out to sea might work.

I was thinking "how come I didn't see these scene's the other week" then I realised I was in Felixstowe :facepalm:

An easy mistake to make !! Thanks for your response...........

The pier/harbour wall is a bit of a plain image to me, nothing catches my eye. Maybe a different angle and better weather would work (the available light looks a bit 'flat')

I kinda like the little mermaid but would have waited till there were less clouds behind her, I would have liked to see more of what she is sitting on.

The little mermaid looking out over the beach is ok too but I may be tempted to frame the shot differently. The horizon is close to the middle of your shot but I love the sky. Maybe a crop would work.

The harbour I love, best of them IMO. I don't like the hotel in the background though, again a different angle looking more out to sea might work.

Andy, thanks for your comments.

This was a quickie visit while my wife was visiting her father in a local care home so not much time to consider the shots however I take on board your observations. I have edited the post as the image where she is shown sitting on a rock seemed to be broken so I have corrected that and maybe this gives you a better idea.

The harbour shot I now see why you made that comment. Looking out to sea is not made easy at this site especially when the tide is this low as the harbour is encased by a wall all round it but I do agree it may have been better to move around a little to lose the hotel. The hotel is not one of Folkestones most celebrated highlights now as it is very old and dated as well. As I live close by maybe I will try again especially now I also received my new 24-105L lens I want to try out.......

Following on from the comments made by @J40ADF I went back this weekend to see if I could improve on my efforts. This time the tide was in and gave more interest in my opinion but did not allow me access from the beach - hopefully these are better but I would be interested to know if I have made a difference so I can learn more about composure of these subjects.

1. Sideways on
Folkestone Mermaid (1 of 1).jpg

2. Looking across to France
Folkestone Mermaid (3 of 1).jpg

3. A little behind !
Folkestone Mermaid (2 of 1).jpg

It's a nice set of photos, but I feel more could be done with the perspective of the shots. Your penultimate shot is my favourite; take a few steps back from where you're stood and that would be a cracker

That's a much better set, I like the middle one. It tells a story to me, like she is protecting/watching over the harbour.

I'd like to see the first one with a shallow depth of field or slow shutter speed to blur the water

Back