Food - 6 Course Dinner

Edit My Images
Yes
A few shots i took from work. We had a food tasting evening on, comprising of 6 courses. The shots came out okay but they did need a little care and attention in photoshop.

1st Course - Courgette Rolls, stuffed with feta, red onion and pine nut.
CanopaesClose02.jpg

2nd Course - Scallops
ScollopFar01.jpg

3rd Course - Sea Bass with Green Beans and Saffron Foam
SeaBassClose03.jpg

4th Course - Pork Belly with Roasted Veg
PorkClose02.jpg

5th Course - Lamb
LambFar01.jpg

Dessert Course - Strawberry Eton Mess
DesertClose02.jpg

Here is a link to some of the pictures i took of the chef's that evening:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=139753

C&C welcome.

Last edited:
Nice photos, makes me hungry...

I'll have the scallops followed by the sea Bass please:D

I would like to see the last one a bit brighter and I'm not sure about #1 but otherwise a pretty good set(y)

good shots. all looks fantastic

have prolems when I shoot under the kitchen/ hot lamps at work. always need to photoshop mine and have got used to it

A very interesting little selection. I assume that all the cooking and plating was done by the chefs and you were working around them?

#1 - While I do like feta, red onion and pine nuts I don't particularly care for raw tomato or courgette, so I shouldn't really like this shot based solely on the ingredients. But that's never really an issue with food photography and one of the reasons I love it so much - you don't necessarily have to like the food to think that it looks delicious.

And there lies the problem with this one. To me it really doesn't look very appetising. I think that's partly to do with the way it's been constructed and plated up and partly to do with the viewpoint you've chosen. We're faced with a top-down view of what looks like a load of tomatoes with some roughly-chopped chives on them and a drizzle of oil and balsamic vinegar. Say that to yourself with your eyes closed and you think 'that sounds nice' but look at the result and you'd probably be forgiven for passing on this course.

I appreciate you are probably at the mercy of the chefs here, but given the opportunity I would have spaced the rolls out a little more evenly and gone for a slightly different viewpoint to try and show more of the elements that go into this dish - your title doesn't even mention what our eyes are telling us is the main ingredient and we're faced with a relatively unnatural angle of view to the food, which doesn't really work in this situation.

A slightly more natural angle and a bit more finesse with the plating up and this would have worked a lot more successfully. As it is I can't say I care much for the photograph or the subject matter, which is a shame as I so want to like them both.

#2 - This is much more like it in terms of the angle of view and showing all the ingredients off in one shot as you can clearly see everything you'd be eating and it's almost like you're looking at it as if it has just been sat down in front of you.

I don't want to sound too critical here as I appreciate it's not your doing, but that scallop doesn't look as perfect as it really ought to. It's caught on the top side and honestly doesn't look evenly cooked and while that might be how the chef intended it to be served, it doesn't make for a good photo. I'd have also picked up that frond of micro cress and removed it from the sauce as it's unbalancing the shot, but you might very well have been shouted at by chef for touching his food!

The other points I'd raise about this one are the two distracting elements in the corners of the frame; the second plate at the bottom left doesn't add anything to the shot and can be cloned out without any great loss and the hand holding the bottle of balsamic glaze that's just been drizzled around the plate either needs to be more in the frame or not there at all. You might also want to tweak the white-balance a little as there's a distinct yellow cast to this one which doesn't sit well with the subject matter.

Certainly up there with the best shots of the bunch though. A little tweak here, a clone there and you've got a keeper.

#3 - Now, this is much better. The only immediate downside is the rather horrid crop which is squashing everything up and making it feel distinctly cramped. Can we see one with a little more space?

The photography in this one is okay but a little uninspiring, although you've captured the plating-up well and everything that should be sharp is so. But I feel this lacks some creative use of DOF to really pick out the focal-point of the dish and concentrate the eye on the main elements. As it stands my eye wanders around the plate looking at the small piles of salsa before it settles on the sea bass and the saffron foam and I really feel like I should be directed towards a certain element rather than be left to look at everything. The lighting is also a touch harsh but that's easily forgiven as I bet the conditions weren't conducive to perfect light!

With regards to the plating-up and the cooking, my eye is instantly drawn to what looks like a dirty smear on the left edge of the plate. I'd guess this would be wiped down before it was sent so you ought to do the same and clone it out. And I'm really not sure about these 'green beans' as they certainly don't look like any green beans I've ever seen. Whatever they are they don't look very appetising, especially with the brown tips facing us. It might have been worth waiting for the foam to be draped over them as this would have given you an excellent little 'action' shot and covered up that massive area of shadow under the spoon.

#4 - Ah, pork belly; one of my favourite things. And that looks like a rather fine slice of belly there, although it does seem a touch dry. Not a problem when it's probably about to be sent but a lick of the juices from the frying pan would make it look much more luscious and appetising. I'd still scoff the lot though.

The photography on this one is good and bad, in equal measure. We've got that creative DOF that was lacking from the sea bass and I'm instantly drawn to the belly pork, but we're now far too close to the 'action' and I can't really see enough of the dish to form an opinion over whether I'd actually want to eat it. I can just about make out an asparagus spear, a carrot and what looks like a root vegetable of some sort in the background, but all of that is a total guess. This feels like a really close crop of a fantastic food photo - I really need to see more of what I'm supposed to be wanting to eat.

We've also got what looks like a rather funky little plate that the chef has used for this creation. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, and they frequently do, the vegetables seem to be in a little shallow in the pate along with some jus - is that the case or just a trick of the light? Either way I'd really prefer to see more of the plate but with the same excellent use of creative DOF that you have employed on this one.

#5 - Mmm. I'm sorry to have to say this but I don't think I'd want to eat this one. The potatoes look dry, the watercress looks limp and the balsamic vinegar on it makes it look like the cress is going mouldy and the lamb looks a bit pale and insipid. The jus also feels like it's just been sloshed on rather than placed with any great care. No doubt were this placed in front of me in a restaurant I'd scoff the lot, it's just that here, in this photo, it doesn't appeal.

You've got an incredibly difficulty subject to work with here as I really feel there's not a massive amount you could do to make the plate sparkle, but a little more work with your shallow DOF approach of before would have worked wonders. Perhaps you might focus on a single element of the dish and allow the others to sit in the background where they can be seen but not immediately drawn to the eye? Although there's also the reflections in the jus to deal with here so perhaps this was just shot in a trickier location that the other courses and I'm being a little unfair on you when you've tried your best.

#7 - I'm afraid to say it feels like you're going backwards now. We started off promisingly with the first two, made great strides with the second two and the last three have somewhat let the side down. This one is simply far too close for comfort and whilst it has immediate visual appeal it lacks any sense of making me want to eat it. We're so close that the actual construction of the dish is its own downfall - the textures of the meringues and the cream don't work when we're this near to them. And whatever the yellow-ish smear in the background is, it's incredibly distracting and wholly unappetising in colour and overall appearance.

Eton mess is a lovely dessert and usually works so well but this just doesn't tick any of the boxes for me I'm afraid. I should be able to tell what the dish is without your title but on this one I'd be hard-pressed to figure that out and I'm not sure if I'd even care. I'm sorry to sound really critical of this shot but desserts are the one course where the chef should really go all-out for an attractive dish but this just feels like a mess. To be honest you've done quite well with what you've got to work with.

food and photography 2 things that evoke emotions, so when combined can provoke a response and a half ?

love the shots still and understand the difficulties of doing this kind of shot as am a catering manager myself and there is never enough time to stand still and look at the plate to get the perfect picture.

still love the pics and know tht these are the first of many in your career that will get you and your cameras attention

Well thank you everyone for the C&C. Honourable mention to Glitch. Again kind words from you all, alas much of my discussion from this point on will be intended for Glitch.

Hi Glitch..... firstly, WOW! Such concise and frankly darn useful advice. I work in the restaurant on the bar, so i know the chef's well and worked around them during service.

#1 - Okay agreed, the subject focus is off and the angle is unconventional. As far as i remember i was planning on sapping the colour from everything but the tomatoes, as a more creative shot for my own purposes. I was also thinking that some of these photos are to be used on the new website, as part of the headers, footers and borders as oppose to photographic content. Thats why i choose the fairly regular alignment (vertical and horizontal) Like i say though, agreed with your comments.

2# - Yeah this is one of the better of the set. Yellow cast is indeed a result of the lamps. Actually, you spoke of the lamb looking insipid, i actually took the yellows, oranges and reds out of the shot to balance the plate, alas the lamb looks white. This will be corrected.

3# - cropping issues. Fair enough i see your point. I seem to have lost my eye for cropping and i get pulled up on this more frequently then id like. I did feel that the original looked empty, i guess its subjective but i dare say you know what your on about.

#4- pork belly, again bad cropping on my part but ill look into adjusting as you suggest and may re-up them on this post. Same goes for #5 and #6, ill look into choosing 'glory' shots that caters for the food.

All in all i think my approach was more mechanical and un supportive of the subject at hand. Guidance is taken on board and i look forward to trying again.

Cheers guys,

Dan

Don't get me wrong here, I am actually impressed with the photography on show, even if I sound like I'm being over-critical of certain things. Food photography is a very subjective thing and without knowing the context in which the work needs to be taken it's hard to get the balance of encouragement and critique right. I just hope I haven't put you off.

In actual fact, knowing a little more about the context I can relax my criticisms of a couple of the shots. For example, #1 doesn't really work as a shot in its own right, but as part of a website or an editorial piece it would sit rather nicely. There's enough interest in the shot to add weight to something without drawing the eye away and the angle you've chosen works perfectly well for that sort of application.

Likewise with the sea bass and the pork belly. I find them far too close for what I'd term as a 'main' food shot (i.e. a magazine front cover, or header image for an article, etc) but as a companion to something else they'd work perfectly well. it's giving the audience a little taster of what you're describing and allowing them to fill in the gaps. It's just all a question of context really.

Can you ask the chef what the green vegetable on the sea bass actually is? It's driving me bonkers and I'm pretty sure it can't be green beans.

looks like asparagus tips to me although could be wrong

SChrisMonkey is right, Its Asparagus sliced in half. I also have a feeling that the brown tips are due to a little Balsamic catching them. Looks a little untidy, but i guess this can be corrected in Photoshop. Cheers again chaps. And No Glitch, you haven't put me off. Your critique was very encouraging.

Back