Food colouring in water

No.3 stands out from the others, like the mushroom shape:)
The lighting is a bit harsh though. I'd have another go with a flat faced container, something like a square vase or fish tank;)

How did you do this? I'd love something to try while the weather is bad!

This is how I did it...

1/250, f/8, ISO160, with diffused remote flash.

The plain white t-shirt acted as a white background and stopped a lot of the detail from behind it showing through the glass. Ignore the reflector, I'm not really sure it served any purpose but I forgot to move it.

I had to cover up the onboard flash, as even though firing mode was only the external, the trigger flash still showed up on the glass. However, at the right angle it gave enough of a flash to trigger the flashgun.

Then I just used a remote shutter to shoot while I was dropping in the blue food colouring with a pipette. Lucky the carpet is blue... There were a few splashes!

Setup for the colours in water shots by Adam Browning, on Flickr

The light reflections are a slight distraction, but otherwise, you have some awesome shapes and colour combinations!

I second RJL's comments, use a flat fronted container, light from the side, and blow out the background.

I have to say great idea and the set looks great for this type of photo (y) but have to agree with Rhod, a flat container would really help and the curve of the glass is distorting the image :shrug:

Matt
MWHCVT

The light reflections are a slight distraction, but otherwise, you have some awesome shapes and colour combinations!

I second RJL's comments, use a flat fronted container, light from the side, and blow out the background.

I do agree about the reflections. Most of them were side lit.

I have to say great idea and the set looks great for this type of photo (y) but have to agree with Rhod, a flat container would really help and the curve of the glass is distorting the image :shrug:

Matt
MWHCVT

A flat container is next on the list! Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Not bad at all. I know these can be tricky. I have tried several times, based on what others did (and similar to what you have done). I couldn't get it to work well. But I had much better luck with a different method. I got a sheet of safety glass and just mixed a small amount of oil and water, threw in some colouring and twirled it around after pouring it onto the glass surface.

I used a light underneath the glass so it shone through up to the camera. It produces much better colours and the colouring doesn't disperse as it does in water. You can also shine a light or use a flash on top as well as the one underneath. You don't get the curved edge of the glass this way. The glass is flat and everything is in very sharp focus.

If you want to see them they are on the second row of this gallery colouring shots

3 is my favourite too; I really like these kind of shots - I want to try this now! :D
I love these sort of threads where folk post and explain their set-ups. It's really useful, thanks for sharing!

Back