Football extreme lighting conditions

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Went to a college game... evening match on 3g pitch and I knew lighting was going to be poor.. but some of the lights where out making it far worse.. .1DX + 400mm

Shot at ISO 25600 .

eg1.jpg

Shot at a stupidly high ISO 51200

eg2.jpg

Very nice low light shots. Tony, composition on #1 is ace - have you tried DXO Optics Pro Elite as a pre-process import bit of software for raw images? Really impressive, especially for dealing with noise like nothing else there is out there. Try the free 30 day trial on a few images just out of interest if you have the time and have the need to process raw images.

Only ever put my camera into RAW once.. Can't see me doing it again... cheers anyway Ady :)

Love the first one, timing spot on with both players totally committed.

Was there any noise reduction applied in PP?

Would love to be able to afford/justify having a 1DX for floodlight games.

Lovely first shot! I experienced bad floodlights last night at our local football and would love to be able to afford a body that could handle the noise.

I'd be delighted with shots like that under floodlights. Very impressive.

What shutter speed were they taken at Kipax? Very impressive. I'm having huge problems with the non-league lights where I shoot. Shooting at 12,800 on a 1d mkIV and its much nosier than these. Time to sell a kidney and get a 1d x ;0)

What shutter speed were they taken at Kipax? Very impressive. I'm having huge problems with the non-league lights where I shoot. Shooting at 12,800 on a 1d mkIV and its much nosier than these. Time to sell a kidney and get a 1d x ;0)

640 shutter.. the exif is in the pic for anyone to check :) If this wasnt the way I make a lving I would probably still be using the canon 10d and sigma 70-200

Thanks, I've been trying to keep my shutter speeds around 1/1000 but im going to give it go trying 640 or 800 to keep the ISO lower. its a shame the lighs are the equivalent of putting your head in a bucket....with a fading torch lol. Still its non-league so its my own fault.;)

Thanks, I've been trying to keep my shutter speeds around 1/1000 but im going to give it go trying 640 or 800 to keep the ISO lower. its a shame the lighs are the equivalent of putting your head in a bucket....with a fading torch lol. Still its non-league so its my own fault.;)

I've been getting down to 640, but ISO still showing at 12800 to 16000 at Non-League level on my 7d MkII...

The biggest problem with non league floodlights is the coverage is not even. Sometimes in the corners it can be 1 stop lower than the middle.
Lowest shutter speed I normally shoot at is 1/500th with the ISO going up to 6400. I find LR4 makes a decent job of noise reduction as long as I get it right in camera.

Lowest shutter speed I normally shoot at is 1/500th with the ISO going up to 6400. I find LR4 makes a decent job of noise reduction as long as I get it right in camera.

without listing your equipment it doesnt help anyone.. some cameras cant get to iso 6400.. some cameras hardly show noise at iso 6400

There is no correct shutter speed for these situations.. You get the most out of your lens.. open it up as much as you can.. f2.8 or better... then max your iso as much as you can manage without ruining the picture.... whats left is your shutter speed.. you shouldnt approach these situations with a set shutter speed in mind and try to work around that. not at very very poorly lit locations... Obviously just in my opinion :)

Fill the frame and remember.. a noisy picture can be fixed.. a blurred picture not so much.. so dont be afraid to get that shutter speed up,... people expect some noise :)

What you say is correct Tony, aperture fully open at 2.8 and ISO at 6400 (can go to 12800 but is very poor quality). Was left with 1/500th, I was just trying to point out how bad my local clubs floodlights are.
I use a Canon 1D mkiv (x2) with a 300mm 2.8 and a 70-200mm 2.8.

Last edited:
Was this on auto ISO?

Was this on auto ISO?

Mine?

I nearly always go manual iso for floodlight games..just lately i have gone auto iso at some 3g venues because most of the pitch is same but then there will be pockets of bright or dark areas i dont want to miss.. so in honesty i cant remember... the iso 51200 is definitely manual because i set a 25600 limit on auto iso.. so yeagh i must have been messing about different setting and must therefore have been on manual iso :)

I only ask as I se you have exposure comp at +1/3 so I presume you have auto ISO as I don't know how to use EC without auto ISO...............if that makes sense?

I only ask as I se you have exposure comp at +1/3 so I presume you have auto ISO as I don't know how to use EC without auto ISO...............if that makes sense?

you cant use EC on full manual.. no point really.. so yeagh if its got EC then it must be auto iso.. so i will ahve changed the settings.. as i stated it was one of thos experiment games so was trying allsorts of different things to see what worked,.. suprised myself with some of them :)

Auto ISO for floodlit night-time games... can't imagine anything worse.

Shooting at school 3g pitches where the light can change by a stop from middle of pitch to corners.... maybe you would like to suggest an alternative method for situations like that given that changing shutter or aperture is out.. Oh and without blowing my own trumpet I would say the proof is there to see it works.

So.. go on how would you handle such extreme changes under such low lighting.. rather than quip and run.. be constructive ?

Plus if you care to re read post 16.

Last edited:
It wouldn't have been possible to get these photos a few years ago. Just shows how far technology has come in the relatively short time since digital appeared commercially. Those guys really are giving it their all.

Can you please stop trolling, you are already under the keen eye of the Mod team, grow some balls and approach people face to face.

I cant remember what name he used last time he was banned.. can you gary?

400 2.8?
I usually leave my camera at home when my lads U15 side play on 3G pitches, hate having the fenches in the background! although in your pics they're indistinguisable!
I'll have to put up a few of mine on here, haven't had the balls to up till now!

Back