Football League photograph competition

Edit My Images
No
The premier league have a competition sponsored by Barclays. The photographers work in the best light and get some great shots (and prizes). The league photographers also get great shots in very difficult light at times and are just as skilful as those working in the premier league. Is there a competition for the league photographers that anyone is aware of?

There is for the National League, held monthly. I don't think that there's one which covers the Sky Bet Leagues and Championship.

The reason I asked was because I had been in touch with SkyBet and they thought it would be a good idea and they asked how I saw it running. They asked if I could recommend judges to give it real clout. Both of these I did. I then asked Dataco if they had any objection to photos being used in this way and they didn't but suggested that I talk to the Football League. I forwarded all my correspondance with SkyBet and Dataco to the Football League and the reply said ..."we actually run a very similar competition of our own through the Football League, so feel running two of these competitions at any one time would only cause confusion and limit the significance of the already established competition".
I asked for detail of this 'established competition' that they run and was passed on to someone else to give me details and to date, I have had no reply despite a second email requesting details.
If i do get a reply, I'll let you know but in the meanwhile if anyone knows of the established Football League photography competition, please pass on the details to the rest of us.

I sent the FL contact an e-mail 5 days ago requesting info again and no reply this week. I wonder if they actually have one? Or were they annoyed that someone had made a suggestion that they should have thought of and they are too embarrassed now to admit to. SkyBet were very keen to support such a competition. I just think that we (freelancers) deserve a competition cos it isnt just the premier league photographers who get good shots. Ours tend to make the paper once (if we are lucky) and then that is it. Rules prevnt them being used in any other way. SkyBet were keen to use them albeit to promote mainly themselves. Part of my suggestion was to have a roadshow/display of the winning entries at top clubs/FA events and even at 'the Home of Football' as well as used by SkyBet. Such exposure would help promote the best FL photographers and may lead to more commissions and help drive standards. Hey ho...keep giving it your best shot guys...you know when you've got a great image...just make sure you save it in case they ever reply.

This arrived today...
"Thank you for your email.
There are currently plans to launch a Football League photography competition in the coming months."
So the 'established one' clearly doesn't exist. It will be interesting to find out the format of the one in the 'coming months'.
But its good for the league photographers to get the chance of further exposure.

Back