Football Photography

Edit My Images
No
Hi folks,

I've been given a ticket for the Arsenal match tomorrow at the emirates, its in a box. i've never been to a match before, but i would love to get some photos, especially some action shots if possible.

A 70-200 2.8 IS L + 40d isnt gonna give me enough reach is it? I dont know how high up it is, the ticket says box 62. :shrug:

Should I try and get hold of teleconverter? I can take the 5D MKII but that wont give me extra reach though.

any help, much appreciated!

any help guys, dont have much time to sort something out

i'd be very surprised if they let you use a camera at all.

All photography (including camerphones) inside league football grounds is subject to control by Football Data Co and without prior consent i.e League accreditation you are not allowed to take photos. Generally they turn a blind eye to people with compacts but get your 70-200 out and you will be asked to desist very quickly, box or no box. They may actually not even allow you in with it as they do search bags and then you will be stuck with either having to take your camera home and coming back, leaving it with the stewards (hmmmm) or just going home. Sorry mate.

All photography (including camerphones) inside league football grounds is subject to control by Football Data Co and without prior consent i.e League accreditation you are not allowed to take photos. Generally they turn a blind eye to people with compacts but get your 70-200 out and you will be asked to desist very quickly, box or no box. They may actually not even allow you in with it as they do search bags and then you will be stuck with either having to take your camera home and coming back, leaving it with the stewards (hmmmm) or just going home. Sorry mate.

lol, that answers that then!

thanks for the help, i wont get a teleconverter and ill leave the SLR at home and just enjoy the hospitality instead.

thanks for the help :)

Good plan mate, lap up the luxury :)

And give me a wave as I'll be pitchside trying to get shots of Van Persie having his head stamped on again :D

Plus enjoying the best food served to the press at any stadium except maybe Newcastle United?

Not been there for a while, but do you still get the buffet pre-match, and fish and chips after in the press room?

Usually it is in terms and conditions somewhere. I know for sure with concert's etc.. It does say that any kind of camera with detachable/interchangable lenses are not allowed.

I checked when I last took my daughter to High School Musical thing. Oh joy that was!

Usually it is in terms and conditions somewhere.!

Its in the ground rules.. the same ground rules for every football ground in the UK at every level.. However its a matter for each club how much notice they want to take of that.. go to your local non league and they will welcome you with open arms.. go to a premiership club and you could be thrown out.

Oh and even licenced photographers are not allowed to take pictures of the game from the stands/terrace ect.. only pitchside.

I would say its down to luck.. you might not take your camera in and see half a dozen others with cameras.... you might take it and be refused entry.. do the club care or does the steward know the rules? who knows:)

I doubt the guy next to you will be too happy either mate when you point a huge white lens in front of him and he can't see. I don't think you'll get in with that.

Last Stoke match - i guy happily walked though the turnstiles with a metal Camera case (fairly big so guessed it was a DSLR with lenses)
And they didn't even ask to look inside it.

A few weeks before, a guy about 8 rows in-front of me was told to stop taking pictures with his compact.

All down to luck :)

Not sure about the emirates but I was Old Trafford a couple of weeks ago and they were not allowing anybody to take telephoto lenses into the stadium.

I only had a compact with me but I saw many people with bog standard 75-300 type lenses being asked to hand them in for collection after the game.

I will be taking lots of photographs at the AFC Wulfrunians FA Vase match because non of our lads have image rights (To ugly by half) and it will be proper football with no diving,raking of studs or stupid celebrations

I'm a steward at Blackburn Rovers. I don't know what the policy is at the emirates ,but at Ewood park we turn a blind eye to anyone taking photos with a P&S but if you are seen with any "professional" type camera basically any type of SLR you will be asked to stop. If you still carry on taking photos after that you would be asked to leave the stadium.

Not every steward seems to know the rules.. I have worked ewood park and was amazed how many dslr there was in the darwen end..

hi i was at the emirates cup in august and took loads of shots i've only got a canon 1000d and was using the standerd 18-55mm lens and the and 75-300mm lens and was lucky to be at the front and like i say took loads and no one stopped me.

heres some i took while they warmed up as it was the first time id used my camera all the shots of the game wernt that good so havent uploaded them lol hope this helps

http://oceanrider.deviantart.com/art/arsenal-black-and-white-131981914
http://oceanrider.deviantart.com/art/arsenal-no4-131934728
http://oceanrider.deviantart.com/art/arsenal-no2-131934343

Not every steward seems to know the rules.. I have worked ewood park and was amazed how many dslr there was in the darwen end..

I don't work in the Darwen end ,but those are the rules that are supposed to be enforced.

I don't work in the Darwen end ,but those are the rules that are supposed to be enforced.

I know.. same rules at all grounds... that why i said earlier.. its luck as to if the steward knows or cares.. I ahve noticed not all of them are brilliant at there jobs :) :)

hi i was at the emirates cup in august and took loads of shots i've only got a canon 1000d and was using the standerd 18-55mm lens and the and 75-300mm lens and was lucky to be at the front and like i say took loads and no one stopped me.

heres some i took while they warmed up as it was the first time id used my camera all the shots of the game wernt that good so havent uploaded them lol hope this helps

http://oceanrider.deviantart.com/art/arsenal-black-and-white-131981914
http://oceanrider.deviantart.com/art/arsenal-no4-131934728
http://oceanrider.deviantart.com/art/arsenal-no2-131934343

Your selling them? they presume p&s shooters for there own use and dslr may be more than home use.. they where right in your case haha :)

I know.. same rules at all grounds... that why i said earlier.. its luck as to if the steward knows or cares.. I ahve noticed not all of them are brilliant at there jobs :) :)

Thats very true I have to supervise some of them who are how can I put it are not the most motivated of people as I found out when Rovers played Celtic in the UEFA cup a few years back, but thats another story:):)

All about luck I would say, last summer I smuggled my 30D, 12-24 and 24-105 into Wembley for the Charity Shield match and got some decent shots as a result, no shots of the game as we were sat right at thye back but I was happy enough just getting stadium shots.

All about luck I would say, last summer I smuggled my 30D, 12-24 and 24-105 into Wembley for the Charity Shield match and got some decent shots as a result, no shots of the game as we were sat right at thye back but I was happy enough just getting stadium shots.

:plus1: I was at wembley for the Wembley cup, tickets specified that it was not allowed. After 2 years of not taking my camera to the O2 for the NBA games (and seeing people with exactly what I would have taken) I thought sod it i'll give it a try.

Snapped away quite happily with the D70 and 70-300 all game no bother at all. Depends on how occupied/bothered the stewards are I suppose.

Back