Football Workflow / Press Standards Queries

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

I spent the second half of last season shooting for a National League team and the associated local paper. My photos went to the paper through the club due to the sponsorship link they have (this was paid work). Due to this, and the paper being weekly, I didn't have to provide pitch-side delivery or use any metadata / captions.

This season I am continuing this but would also like to start approaching local papers from the away teams. I'd like to be able to do this in a way that meets their expected standards, both for my own development and to increase the likelihood they use my photos.

My queries are two-fold:

1 - a - Does anyone have any links to good resources to learn correct IPTC / metadata / captioning info? I have bought a copy of photo mechanic and watched some YouTube tutorials but would like to learn more so that I can become comfortable with it. Last season I was using XNview to cull which isn't nearly as helpful for captioning.
1- b - Pitch side workflow, what is everyone's pitch side workflow? How do you protect your laptop when the weather isn't on your side?

2 - Submitting photos, how is the best way to approach this? Should I contact the paper well in advance of the games to offer my services at a day rate, speculatively submit photos of the games to the papers photo desk or contact their reporters/editors/photo desk to ask them if they would like me to submit photos?

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Some of my match galleries can be found at: https://darrenwoolley.photos/maidenhead-united if anyone would like to see.

Thanks

Back