Footie help

I fear you will get little or nothing with that lens under floodlights.. whats the ground? if its st albans then its going to be dim.

highest iso you can use
most wide open you can go
then shutter speed to suit.

have you not got a lens that will go f2.8?

Did some shots at Molyneux last April and got 1/400th at f4 with 800ISO but my guess is that the Molyneux floodlights are better than those at St Albans.
If you have a faster short telephoto take that and get the shots as the players are closer to you,I have some pretty good results with a manual focus 135mm f2.8

the 100-400 is f4.5 -f5.6 I am thinking yes? You will really struggle to get anything as the lens is far too slow for floodlights.. I daresay someone will be along to say they got a shot. But in realisty you wont get anything much usable I am afraid

Whats the 300? if f2.8 then your in

300mm f2.8
iso 1600 minimum
f2.8
your shutter speed will be 320 if your lucky

Did some shots at Molyneux last April and got 1/400th at f4 with 800ISO but my guess is that the Molyneux floodlights are better than those at St Albans.

I did wolves and they where some of the best floodlights i ahve shot under.... like being in the sun next to st al;bans or any other none league ground... wont get anywhere near those settings even with a 2.8 ..let alone f4.5 at 100mm ...sorry to say.

If you have any choice with the lens get a f2.8. For night time football I would take a 200mm f2.8 over a 300mm f4. The 100-400 will not stand a chance if the lights at St Albans are anything like most grounds.

John

st albans beeing a non league ground means the lighting is very poor.. its sometimes hard to get to or above a 320 shutter speed using f2.8 and iso 1600 in non league... I ahve only done st albans in the daytime but i know enough to know the lights will be poor...

your camera and an f4 is going to be painfull... I wish i could give you hope..

I did some footie shots tonight.
70-200mm F2.8
EXIF for most of my shots;
ISO: 1600
App: F2.8
Shutter: 1/80 to 1/100 (couldn't go any higher :()

Got some good photos though, but nothing to amaze anyone :LOL:

all hope is gone ............. cheers i will look out if anyone in st albans is willing to lend me one.:)

You ahve to go and see for yourself.. tell us what happened ..

I've read this with interest as I attended my local team's reserve match (Tranmere Rovers) last night with a Canon 400d and 100-400L lens.

I did expect to struggle under the floodlights and reality is that even with ISO at 1600 I was struggling to get a decent exposure at anything faster than 1/60.

I did get a few half decent shots which I'll try and post over weekend but the better ones where more of players in more static situations (ie walking!!). The rest were very blurred!

Dave

I ahve also shot at tranmere and I can assure you its miles brighter than st albans will be :)

well the first one was last night (fri) so how did you get on?

Back