For those looking to get into Off Camera flash techniques....

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I have been researching, on strobist and other sites, how to get into off camera flash techniques and what kit I need.

The one thing I have found quite difficult, is determining which flashes will be suitable. This may be becuase I am new to the flash market but hey. I have managed to find a list of flashes with full manual control, and its helped me start to look for some second hand flashes. Here is the link.

you may have already seen it, if not, hope it helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

The most suitable flashes have the following

A hot shoe
A PC Sync socket
Manual Zoom
Manual Aperture
Manual Power Adjustment

You don't have to worry about buying the identical brand of flash to your camera, Nikon SB-24's and 28's and the like are now quite different in price compared to when Dave Hobby posted his strobist lighting 101 guide, the sell from anything to £70-£110 and more! Vivitar units are a little cheaper but some don't have a manual power adjustment and you'll have to move the flash further away from your subject to diminish the volume or diffuse it heavily if space is limited.

Just in case you missed this video, have a watch, it explains all the pieces of kit hat are widely used and also the names of the gear so you can shop around and compare prices:
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKAD7leNOVY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKAD7leNOVY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

T.

Hi Thomas,

I was aware of not needing an identical unit to my camera. I have also seen the vid, strobist 101 is a gold mine of info! (y)

I just thought I'd post the info as it gives a decent list, of a good number of flashes with full manual control. There are a number out there that don't have full manual, and I found myself googling every model I came across to try and work it out!

Rob

Tomas,

That's an excellent video clip, thank you for posting it (y)

Tomas,

That's an excellent video clip, thank you for posting it (y)

No worries! I think I must have posted it a thousand gazillion times but I'll never get bored of doing so, it's such an eye opener and possibly the most explanitory introduction there is! I've yet to find a better example (y)

My problem is finding the stuff in the UK, sure I could buy everything seperately from Chinese ebay sellers, but it would be nice to go to one shop and pay one lot of p&P...

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for posting the video, was most helpful.

Not wanting to force any endorsement, but are there any online retailers anyone's found to be very good for lighting equipment in particular?

My problem is finding the stuff in the UK, sure I could buy everything seperately from Chinese ebay sellers, but it would be nice to go to one shop and pay one lot of p&P...

Any ideas?

Hmmm, that can be a little difficult, possibly midwest photo exchange but as you say, it's a US retailer, I have bought from them a few times and they are quick at despatch but there's the VAT and import duties, most of the time though as long as there is nothing too heavy, it's still cheaper.
UK side there is speed graphic but they aren't always the best on price, or you could try the ebay seller photoskill.

Some places do certain items cheaper for example, umbrella swivel adaptors, the easiest option is to buy Manfrotto ones but they are three times the prices of MPEX alternatives and in my opinion, the MPEX ones are better as they aren't as heavy. It's swings and roundabouts though mate, I ended up getting all my gear from three seperate places :crying:

There are more sellers I just can't think of the details at the mo, :thinking: Soz.

T.

Thanks Thomas, I'll take a look at those.

No worries (y)
If you do decide to use a US retailer, my advice is to choose a courier like Fed ex or UPS for your shipping. It's a little more expensive but you'll potentially save yourself tons of stress.

I've personally had a lot of overly complicated, silly and highly frustrating delays to my orders when using postal companies like USPS (United States Parcel Service), it's not the company itself that is a problem, it's the procedures when it hits the shores of the UK when passed over to UK Customs and Excise. This same occurance has happened again after I moved to Helsinki.
I've been scolded for making this statement a number of times before, I'm not interested in any arguments folks, I'm merely trying to be as informative as poss with my experience to date in a take it or leave it kinda like way :)

I picked a couple of these up at the weekend and so far they seem pretty good for holidng a flash.

For things like brollies though,you're as well getting them from China as that's where they'll be coming from anyway , regardless of where you buy them,although some of those Westcotts at MPEX look worth a punt.....:bonk:

Back