for those who missed my post on sensor cleaning

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
First of all get yourself a "Loupe" so you can see the sensor. Best bit of kit you can get in my opinion
Looking at sensor through a loupe. one Ii own by Visible Dust

You may also need a swab

This is one for corners, do not repeat not try using a cotton bud

Or a blade one the size of you sensor and cleaning fluid for really stuck on dirt.

I also use an Artic Butterfly brush against a rocket blower which may only blow more dust around the inside of the camera body

spinning for a couple of seconds make static electricity which attracts dust. latest one has twin lights where as mine only has one

My presentation kit cost £115 at a camera show at the NEC in 2009 from Speed Graphics. obviously the cost has risen now and not on special offer.

Expensive ? No , not when you think it will last a lifetime, apart from the time without a camera. Send a camera away for a few cleanings and you have recovered your cost.

Just found an article I wrote some time ago on how I go about sensor cleaning for what it is worth

These are the tools I use to clean a sensor and mirror

So what do I do??? it may give some guidance for those wanting to clean their own.

First of all I make sure I am working somewhere there is no dust,ie kitchen, and then allow plenty of time, its a job that needs a bit of care but nothing the average photographer can't tackle themselves. So often I read that a camera is sent away for cleaning as if there is some magic in doing it. Well there isn't and I just can't see any reason for being without a camera for at least a couple of weeks and paying not only for postage but what a company charges for doing it. With the kit in the photo is all you need and the cost occassionally of ordering more fluid and a couple of wiping pads packs

Sometimes its just dust on the lens that needs attention and cleaning them is dead simple so won't do a breakdown of that.

Ok as I have said earlier having a "loupe" (the black round object) makes the job so much easier and I would dare to suggest it is on bit of kit ever photographer should have, I used to do the trick of photographing a white sheet of A4 paper then checking the digital photo of it. Yes it works but does mean having to keep going from taking a photo to checking it as I just mentioned. This method is slow to say the least and I soon gave up on that idea.

So we now have the mirror locked up to check for dust, I do have a rocket blower (not shown) but reluctant to use it as it can stir up more dust in the camera body and make matters worse. If intended to use this bit of kit make sure the camera is facing downwards first

So onto using the" loupe" which in reality is just a magnifying glass that has built in lights which is placed over the opening which the lens fits into. With the mirror locked up it is easy to see minute dust particles on the sensor. Dust particles can be from a small hair to light dust to really stuck on bits of dirt and each is generally easily recognisable through a Loupe. Dealing with a small hair or light dust one has a choice of ways to remove it. First is the blower method which I am not keen on and the second method is by using the Artic Butterfly; thats the pen like thing in the picture with a brush on the end. Its different from an ordinary brush as it builds up static electricity because inside there is a small motor which makes it spin. Spinning it for about 5 second builds up enough static to allow the brush to attract any loose dust when gently wiped across the sensor face. After each pass the brush should be removed and again spun to shake off any dust it may have attracted. This method I prefer as it only cleans the sensor and any other loose dust in the camera body remains.

Of course you can buy a pen with a brush one one end and a rubber pad on the other (only costs a few pence) but having tried using it I soon gave up, the brush only moves dust from one side of a sensor to the other and doesn't do anything else. The rubber type other end just leave a mark on the sensor which causes more work to remove it

Ok now for stubborn dirt against just dust and we are starting to talk about wet wipes . There are special fluids for the job which can easily be obtain on the web. I use two types of wiping instruments, for use of a better word, first is the one that looks like a cotton bud but its not. This I use just to clean a spot not the whole sensor. Just as with using he spade type it only needs a minute drop of fluid on the tip , drenching it will make the sensor harder to dry/clean. The spade type again just a small drop of fluid and with it one wipe in one direction and check the sensor. Here I have read then the wiping blade should be discarded, I tend to ignore that and after checking it for cleanliness use it again with the other side. I just can't see any reason why it can't be used many times providing it is clean and won't scratch the sensor, but that choice is up to the individual of course. Word of caution, don't try and press too hard with whichever dirt cleaning tool used, far better to go over several times than trying to do it in one wipe. Never ever use a cotton bud as an alternative its not designed for the job and WILL leave small hairs.
Afer each operation just check to see the dust/dirt has gone ,you don't want to clean a sensor that's already clean. Make sure you have a fully charged camera battery to keep the mirror locked up.

Just a brief note on where other dirt/dust may show up. One is the mirror, easily checked if the dirt shows in the view finder but not on the photo, Cleaning is again easy by using one of the aforementoined wipes and if necessary abit of fluid. I just gently manually lift the mirror to do the underside,Just treat it like cleaning a sensor. The other place I have come across is the camera body side of the viewfinder lens, easily found obviously and this may need a bit of a wipe as well but usually needs no attention

Hope this is of some help

Good post, thank you.
I was incredibly nervous about wet cleaning my sensors.
Then I tried it and found how easy it it to do.
Although I really should get a sensor loupe, instead of taking pics to find dust!

Good advice Bazza, I've got a loupe, use a blade type wet swab and a pentax sticky gel pen. I have cleaned the sensor a few times but still have some very stubborn spots - only visible at f16 -22 in the skies - how would you go about getting rid of something that looks like it needs a good rub? I cant even see them using the loupe!

I would not use a pen anyway.There is the possibility the sensor had been affected by whatever was there originally and no matter how much cleaning won't get rid of them. All I can suggest have a look at the fluid you are using and if it is the correct one you need as there are several different types formulated for different contiminates.

the smear away in link might be the answer I don't know

Link
http://www.visibledust.com/help_wetchart.php

Last edited:
Alternatively, you could buy a basic pack of Pec Pads/Eclipse fluid and a pack of soft plastic glue spreaders;

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1452970983.621538.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1452970990.752365.jpg

Wrap a pad around a spreader and put a few drops of eclipse fluid on the end. Drag the pad across the sensor gently and wait a few seconds for the fluid to evaporate. If it leaves any dry residue you can move the pad on the spreader to another unused part and gently drag the dry pad across the sensor. Do this under a light and you'll see any dust/marks left on the sensor with your eyes.

I cleaned my A6000 sensor the other day using this method and it's now nice and clean.

Back