For you street photographers / Vivian Maier fans...

Looks good will keep an eye out for it,I wonder if their anymore out their :)
I bet there are people scouring her old haunts as we speak!

I can't understand why she took so many, but never had them developed?

For some people the act of taking a photograph is more important than the photograph itself.

Or, she just didn't have the money/couldn't be arsed to develop the rolls *looks at the twenty rolls sat in my fridge*... :whistle:

I wonder that myself, until I look at myself I taken so many photos over the years but I don't have an flicker acc,and very rarely show them to anybody, and at the moment got about 20 cards lying around waiting to be downloaded.
I thinks its something maybe to do with a passion for photographer itself, but not the desire to show them, the famous photographer and one of my all time favourite was a bit like that Eugene Smith, he was send on a story for 3 weeks,3years later and over 36 thousand shot later, and at the end of the day only 36 of his shots were ever used.

:)

They've not released the international release dates yet, but it shouldn't be too far off. It won't get a wide release though, most likely to hit the independent art house circuit.

I just watched a person I highly respect give his prospective on the subject. I know you guys love the art so I thought you should see it.

:canon:

Interesting,but i think a lot of his problems are mainly due to him looking at it as art,to me i am not an artist i am a photographer and so was she,it has been unfortunate that as he said she was unable to edit her own work,so will never know what she would have liked us to seen,and what she would have taken out,are people making money out of this yes,but that has always happen.

Interesting,but i think a lot of his problems are mainly due to him looking at it as art,to me i am not an artist i am a photographer and so was she,it has been unfortunate that as he said she was unable to edit her own work,so will never know what she would have liked us to seen,and what she would have taken out,are people making money out of this yes,but that has always happen.

Photography is a an art form but some choose not to take it in that direction or use it for other reasons. I agree with the money part but if I would of come across them I would of put them in the most talent hands I could of found. I think that is the just of what Ted meant.

Photography is a an art form but some choose not to take it in that direction or use it for other reasons. I agree with the money part but if I would of come across them I would of put them in the most talent hands I could of found. I think that is the just of what Ted meant.

Or not for for other reasons,they just enjoy taking photos ?,i can see where Ted is coming from,but then you can get into the world of snobbery where only people with certain education,can tell us what is good and whats not and what we should like.
Dont get me wrong i like a good discussion on photographer,but its up to me what i like and what i dont,i do believe they could have had a better edit but the world not always ideal,and better to see them than not :)

Photography is a an art form...

No it isn't. It's a medium. Paint is a medium, too. You can make art with it or use it to cover your walls.

No it isn't. It's a medium. Paint is a medium, too. You can make art with it or use it to cover your walls.
No, as wouldn't the medium, in this case, be a roll of film?

I watched that Ted video on you tube. I agree with his point about it being a shame she didn’t get to edit what work of hers was shown. I also agree with how it’s a shame people have jumped on the novelty of it and hyped it up to make a few quid.

However she chose not to show her work off and didn’t seek other people’s views on it, so in my opinion Ted has no right to criticize her work for not being ground breaking. He’s talking about her work as if she had put it out there for people like him to decide if they like it or not. His constant apologies didn’t make it any better either. If he likes her stuff fine, if he doesn’t then fine, that’s his opinion, but she’s certainly not around asking for a critique or to be ranked against other more prominent photographers who do stick there stuff out for people to see.

I watched that Ted video on you tube. I agree with his point about it being a shame she didn’t get to edit what work of hers was shown. I also agree with how it’s a shame people have jumped on the novelty of it and hyped it up to make a few quid.

However she chose not to show her work off and didn’t seek other people’s views on it, so in my opinion Ted has no right to criticize her work for not being ground breaking. He’s talking about her work as if she had put it out there for people like him to decide if they like it or not. His constant apologies didn’t make it any better either. If he likes her stuff fine, if he doesn’t then fine, that’s his opinion, but she’s certainly not around asking for a critique or to be ranked against other more prominent photographers who do stick there stuff out for people to see.

I'm sorry but you completely missed it here. Ted was referring to the two men and the movie and how they portrayed her work as ground breaking and how it would forever change street photography. Ted simply pointed out that that was not true in his opinion. This had nothing to do with criticizing the photographer. On the contrary, he was criticizing the people who were exploiting the photographer.

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

So if an artist make a art painting is it just a painting or is it art? I say it's art And the same with photography. But it doesn't really matter because it's objective and you don't see it as art where others do.

So if an artist make a art painting is it just a painting or is it art? I say it's art And the same with photography.

Exactly my point. Owning a camera doesn't make you an artist any more than owning a paintbrush does. It's all about intent and not about the medium or the tools. :)

Can't wait to watch this film! I'm a huge Vivian Maier fan. Such an interesting story and to think that we may never have known about her if her photos and possessions were disposed. Wow

Exactly my point. Owning a camera doesn't make you an artist any more than owning a paintbrush does. It's all about intent and not about the medium or the tools. :)[/

My comment was in reference to your comment about Ted and how his problems was he considered photography an art and you said it was not. So who considers themselves artist has no relevance to our conversation. However I do sort of get where you are coming from. Like I touched on in my original response, photography is an art but some choose to use it in other ways.

Exactly my point. Owning a camera doesn't make you an artist any more than owning a paintbrush does. It's all about intent and not about the medium or the tools. :)[/

My comment was in reference to your comment about Ted and how his problems was he considered photography an art and you said it was not. So who considers themselves artist has no relevance to our conversation. However I do sort of get where you are coming from. Like I touched on in my original response, photography is an art but some choose to use it in other ways.

Photography is a an art form but some choose not to take it in that direction or use it for other reasons.

Photography is a medium and a craft which can be used to create art.

EDIT:

And I should learn to read all of a thread to see if someone else has posted what I was thinking!

So if an artist make a art painting is it just a painting or is it art?

It's art using the medium of painting. The paint on my window frames is merely painting.

A statue is art using the medium of stone carving/sculpture. The stone lintel above my expertly painted window frame is merely stone carving/sculpture.

Most mediums can have both aesthetic and utilitarian uses.

Steve.

Last edited:
Photography is a medium and a craft which can be used to create art.

EDIT:

And I should learn to read all of a thread to see if someone else has posted what I was thinking!

:D

What I find fascinating about photography is the multiplicity of ways it can be used, how it can be more than one thing at once, and how it can morph from one to another with time.

When I go to shoot a shot I envision the shot before I take it. Then I create the shot. The camera is merely a tool to produce the art but the process is photography so in this scenario the photography process is an art.

Back