Critique Forest Light

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm not overly keen on what flickr has done to this but I would appreciate thoughts on the image, the original is a bit more vivd and a bit less sharpened

ForestLight by Chris H, on Flickr

67 views and not a comment, either its a bit quiet in the Creative corner, my photo is perfection and stuns people into silence or it is so unutterably bad that people don't know where to start

:thinking:

Hi Chris, I love the colours, I agree flicker adjusts things here and there... there's an atmosphere there, it reminds me of some of the good views I've had while mountain biking in the past on the edge of hills looking down. I've looked back at this a couple of times while at work on break, I can't pin down what to say, but it stirs memories for me :) sorry if it's not the feedback you wanted

Thanks Gav, I'm glad it reminds you of woodland you have seen and it's nice to have some confirmation that its not over done.

Very nice image but lacks depth for my personal taste. It doesn't grab my attention at first look. Sorry but you did ask:)

Very nice image but lacks depth for my personal taste. It doesn't grab my attention at first look. Sorry but you did ask:)
Fair enough, if I may, what do you mean by "lacks depth", visually, physically, intellectually, all of those, something else?

Fair enough, if I may, what do you mean by "lacks depth", visually, physically, intellectually, all of those, something else?
I mean visually, I think perhaps some more vignetting around the edges to draw your eyes into the darkness of the forest would help. That said I am no expert.

I mean visually, I think perhaps some more vignetting around the edges to draw your eyes into the darkness of the forest would help. That said I am no expert.
I can see that, there is already some but it could stand more. I'll have a play

Chris, I like this, but it suffers the usual problem of a tree shot with too much fine stuff and not enough solid subject to catch hold of. The colours are lovely, lighting great, but it's just a little too busy IMO.

Since you have YES by 'edit my images' I've just given it a quick tweak to re-focus the eye on the middle - the crop was unintentional, and a result of copying it, but it doesn't do any harm.

If you wish, I'll be happy to delete the image.
Not my photo--5.jpg

Since you have YES by 'edit my images' I've just given it a quick tweak to re-focus the eye on the middle - the crop was unintentional, and a result of copying it, but it doesn't do any harm.

Thanks Toni, I'm quite keen on the complexity but your edit works, as does the crop I think. Could you tell me a little more about what edits you made?

OK, working in Lightroom (6) I used the circular mask tool to soften the outside.

Chris detail 1.jpg
Chris detail 2.jpg

Then it was just a case of jiggling highlights, shadows, temperature and vibrance to keep the image alive.
Chris detail 3.jpg

Lastly the bottom left corner was too bright and intrusive, so I popped a graduated filter over it, reducing the exposure and highlights a little.

I'm sure the original file has a lot more potential.

OK, working in Lightroom (6) I used the circular mask tool to soften the outside.

View attachment 350159
View attachment 350160

Then it was just a case of jiggling highlights, shadows, temperature and vibrance to keep the image alive.
View attachment 350161

Lastly the bottom left corner was too bright and intrusive, so I popped a graduated filter over it, reducing the exposure and highlights a little.

I'm sure the original file has a lot more potential.
Thanks for taking the time Toni, I'll have a play

Back