Formal photographic portfolio (Help)

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been asked to submit a printed, formal photographic portfolio of my work. I have no idea about what layout/paper/finish I should use, or even how I should present it. I have an idea about what images I should use but the rest is something that I have no idea about!

I have to submit them in less than A3 size, include 20 or less photographs and include technical details of the image and any pp work applied. Would I be best buying something like a photo album or is there something that would fit my needs better and look more professional? Really confused about what to do, and I only have a few days to put this together! :shrug: :bang:

Ok :)

www.dscolourlabs.co.uk are your friend. If you can get your order in quickly, and before 3-4pmish, chances are it'll arrive the next morning. Cheap and good quality prints. I strongly prefer their 'lustre' prints to gloss, but you might have your own preference.

Even unmounted will probably be ok for a college course, but if you want you might like to spraymount them onto some mount board for a more professional finish.

8x12" is a nice size, the same ratio as your camera sensor so you don't need to crop any extra, and within the A3 limitation.

In terms of selecting your images, which really is the more important bit than anything else (college course lecturers will be used to all sorts of presentation), choose your best images, that show what you really love to shoot - if you have a great portfolio of pictures of people, then a sole landscape in the middle might be a bit confusing and detract from your overall message and vision. Also, don't feel that you should include a shot that you're not so happy with 'just to show that you can do it' - having one poor shot in the middle of a load of great ones will drag the collection down. Think carefully about the order that you want to present them in too, ideally open and close with some of your best work, and work to make the portfolio 'flow' - group photos along the same theme, or colours, or moods.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
In terms of selecting your images, which really is the more important bit than anything else (college course lecturers will be used to all sorts of presentation), choose your best images, that show what you really love to shoot - if you have a great portfolio of pictures of people, then a sole landscape in the middle might be a bit confusing and detract from your overall message and vision. Also, don't feel that you should include a shot that you're not so happy with 'just to show that you can do it' - having one poor shot in the middle of a load of great ones will drag the collection down. Think carefully about the order that you want to present them in too, ideally open and close with some of your best work, and work to make the portfolio 'flow' - group photos along the same theme, or colours, or moods.

Good luck :)

You see that's where I'd differ slightly, because I'd think that showing diversity of skills and subjects would be important.

Given that the requirements are for 20 or less (which is quite a large port presentation) I'd be inclined to break it down into 4 themed sets of five shots, or even 5 sets of 4 shots - that way you don't end up with an odd ball in the middle as mentioned by above.

Having said that I've got no experience of College or Uni submissions and Dave has - I'm just going by gut feeling! :D

=====

Edit:

Whoops, sorry missed the main thrust of your question.

For printing DSCL as Dave says or Samsphotolab (he's on here).

I'd put them in a port folder, and there should be plenty of art supplies shops in Glaswee were you could pick up something decent for £15-30.

Last edited:
You see that's where I'd differ slightly, because I'd think that showing diversity of skills and subjects would be important.

Given that the requirements are for 20 or less (which is quite a large port presentation) I'd be inclined to break it down into 4 themed sets of five shots, or even 5 sets of 4 shots - that way you don't end up with an odd ball in the middle as mentioned by above.

Having said that I've got no experience of College or Uni submissions and Dave has - I'm just going by gut feeling!

I could well be wrong, thinking about it - brainwashed by reading too much about submitting to ad agencies! But yes, definitely group themes - how far apart those themes is up to you I guess. The tutors are probably looking for a basic grasp of technical stuff, but far more importantly, good clean composition, editing (ie which picture you selected) and pictures that you are genuinely excited about.

Hi Chris,

I use Loxleys in Cumbernauld they are super fast and you can go pick up your prints or they do a postal service which usually arrives next day! I ordered an A4 leather Artist portfolio case off the Internet and had my images in that which did the job as it got me in.

I noticed your from Glasgow which College are you applying for? I am also local and just done my HNC at Motherwell college and going back in August to do my HND, soo excited lol!!

Nic x

I think my portfolio case for uni came from wilkinsons. Cost £4, and it was nicer than the £20 ones in the art shop. Don't sweat it, a few good prints loose in a box will win far more points than crap perfectly window mounted and put in a bespoke book.

Hi Chris,

I use Loxleys in Cumbernauld they are super fast and you can go pick up your prints or they do a postal service which usually arrives next day! I ordered an A4 leather Artist portfolio case off the Internet and had my images in that which did the job as it got me in.

I noticed your from Glasgow which College are you applying for? I am also local and just done my HNC at Motherwell college and going back in August to do my HND, soo excited lol!!

Nic x

Thanks Nic, I will check them out first thing in the morning. The course is at Glasgow Metropolitan. I'm actually a bit outside Glasgow (prob closer to Cumbernauld) so Loxleys might be ideal. (y)

Ok got most of my photos selected and ready to go on a disc now for print at Loxleys (but if anyone wants to point out something else from my flickr I would appriciate it!)

I was wondering if I should do anything to prepare the images for print at 8x12? Should they all be 300dpi?, should I sharpen a bit more than I would for screen? Will using a different color space make the images look nicer? Sorry for all the questions but its been a long time since getting anything printed!

Last edited:
Good luck with getting into the Met they are a great college!

I always have my images 300dpi for printing and thats all I do. Loxley's are so good they colour correct any problems so the quality is always exceptional!

Nic x

Good luck with getting into the Met they are a great college!

I always have my images 300dpi for printing and thats all I do. Loxley's are so good they colour correct any problems so the quality is always exceptional!

Nic x

If your monitor is calibrated correctly then it might not be the best idea to let them correct - one persons idea of how a photo should look is not the same as anothers. I use DSCL and send my prints presized and precorrected so they do no colour corrections.

Dont know about Loxley, but DSCL give the dimensions required for each print size. Might be worth checking if loxley do the same - dont neeed to worry about dpi then. Also, DSCL allow you to embed their printer profiles within the image.

Back