Format Festival.

Just me then. :)

Having visited the website I'm not surprised you're going alone!

It took me an age to workout where it is and what it's about - certainly in terms of 'Format', that web site leaves a lot to be desired :(

I bought the book of the previous one at the Photography Show, and got the free locations map. If it were nearer, I'd seriously consider going; but Derby is rather off my beaten track.

Here's what appears to be the mission statement:

"The 2017 edition of FORMAT will explore the theme of HABITAT through varied narratives and imagery that document the worlds around us. We will share the experiences and stories that coalesce as we negotiate our complex existence, including the flora, fauna, landscapes and the lives within.

HABITAT will look broadly at landscape, environment, mobility, migrations, digital worlds, ideas of home and displacement, conflict and regeneration and all the spaces that we live in including work that considers our short or long term impact on the world locally and internationally."

Which reads as if it was written by someone hardly out of nappies. So are we to take it seriously?

The mere fact that the mission statement was written in that way indicates as clearly as anything can that the organisers take it deadly seriously. It is written in the accepted style of a serious artistic endeavour. Whether others take it seriously is another matter. Personally, I have a different agenda (for want of a better term) than that of the art world photographers who I see as having a restricted world view. But that's a big topic!

ANyone who has the catalogue of the previous Format will know what to expect - it's from the same viewpoint as (for example) the Brighton Biennial.

I agree that the website is absolute tosh. Minimalist style over sadly-lacking apparent content. Having looked through the entire site and downloaded the event pdf I am still pretty much non the wiser. For a photography exhibition there is a complete lack of visual imagery to entice the potential visitor. It is probably very good, but if so, it is completely underselling itself.

The mere fact that the mission statement was written in that way indicates as clearly as anything can that the organisers take it deadly seriously. It is written in the accepted style of a serious artistic endeavour. Whether others take it seriously is another matter.

ANyone who has the catalogue of the previous Format will know what to expect - it's from the same viewpoint as (for example) the Brighton Biennial.
My point was that whatever the worth of the enterprise, such copy was obviously delegated to & produced by a juvenile, which hardly helps the cause. It's immature. Thus whether or not the cause is serious, it's impossible to tell. A poor move.

The mission statement is written in the dialect the art world of today uses- artspeak. ;)

The mission statement is written in the dialect the art world of today uses- artspeak. ;)
Surely. But I've read tons of artspeak that was far better constructed. This one is just weak and shoddy, as if done casually in haste. Thus it gives a poor message when it's intended purpose is to promote something.

The 2017 edition of FORMAT will explore the theme of HABITAT through varied narratives and imagery that document the worlds around us. We will share the experiences and stories that coalesce as we negotiate our complex existence, including the flora, fauna, landscapes and the lives within.

Could've used the "Oxford comma" ;)

Having studied at Derby, and been to loads of events at two past FORMAT festivals, I'd gently suggest that it will be a worthwhile day out, especially if you can catch some of the events. Saw some brilliant work, met some great people, one time I ended up having dinner with 8 Magnum photographers...

And I am, in the very strongest terms, not into 'arty farty' stuff...

Having studied at Derby, and been to loads of events at two past FORMAT festivals, I'd gently suggest that it will be a worthwhile day out, especially if you can catch some of the events. Saw some brilliant work, met some great people, one time I ended up having dinner with 8 Magnum photographers...

And I am, in the very strongest terms, not into 'arty farty' stuff...

I went to Format 15 - a study day on the Saturday, then spent Sunday visiting other exhibitions on my own. I really enjoyed it, plus there's some great places to stay and eat.
Couple of Blog entries
http://www.nineelmsphotography.com/blog/?p=1967
http://www.nineelmsphotography.com/blog/?p=1976

Some stunning work to look at, the Chinese books in St Werburgs church, Philip Toledano’s exhibition, when I was six, the Person building

I'd say these festivals are really worth a visit. I'm trying to work out a weekend I can revisit. Last time we stayed in the Cathedral Quarter hotel, nice, central, had breakfast with Micheala Strachen :D

We have a photography festival in Cardiff too for anyone in the south West.

Back