Review Formatt Hitech 85mm Aluminium Filter Holder Review

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Having purchased a 10 stop filter from Hitech earlier this year, I experienced some issues with my Cokin filter holder, in that it allowed light to leak into the camera, as the gasket wasn't a great fit.

I recently found out that Hitech also make filter holders, so the sensible voice in my head said, well if Hitech make the filter, and Hitech make the holder, it should be a perfect match. However in reality the answer was 'not quite'.

Firstly the holder itself is modular, in that you can add and remove 'layers' as necessary. It's well finished and well constructed, and comes ready assembled for a 3 filter setup. It also contains a few spares in the box just in case you lose a screw.

IMG_1735_2516_zps5a3106a3.jpg

IMG_1735_2516-2_zps4e9f9eb8.jpg

IMG_1733_2514_zps7480fcda.jpg

IMG_1733_2514-2_zps07b3902d.jpg

The images above show the filter holder, and it's brass screws holding everything together. The idea being you loosen the screws to insert the filters, and then tighten again to hold in place.

This works well in principle with the 10 stop, as can be seen here:

IMG_1738_2529_zpsa2dd9b15.jpg

IMG_1738_2529-2_zpsc617aa66.jpg

However on turning the filter holder over, it becomes obvious that the gasket doesn't fit the holder, and light can again leak through.

IMG_1741_2532_zps7980e6b7.jpg

I've written to Hitech, and they've promised to send me out some gasket material (although it's not arrived yet).

Another question I had in my mind when purchasing, was whether my existing Cokin adaptor rings would work with the Hitech holder, and on receipt of the Hitech ring, I can see that it is different. It has a bevelled edge, that allows the use of the thumbscrew on the filter holder, to keep it in place. This is a perfect fit, whereas the Cokin screw doesn't really sit well in the holder, and there's no ridge to hold it in place - so anyone with Cokin rings will have to buy Hitech ones instead.

IMG_1744_2548_zpsa79d55d3.jpg

The ring on the left is the Hitech one, the ring on the right is the Cokin one. I think you should be able to make out the difference between the two.

In terms of the filter holder, I can't fault it. I think it's well made, well designed, and will deliver great results. However that won't be until Hitech send me some more gasket to fill the gaps - so here's hoping that they'll send it soon.

Don't forget you also have the width of the adapter ring to fill that gap between the gasket and the filter holder - that should seal any light leakage.
Your photo shows the holder with no adapter ring fitted.

Don't forget you also have the width of the adapter ring to fill that gap between the gasket and the filter holder - that should seal any light leakage.
Your photo shows the holder with no adapter ring fitted.

You're right - but when the ring is fitted - the gap is still there :) Formatt said tonight that extra gasket was on the way :)

I have the 100mm Hitech holder but use a Lee Big Stopper in it instead of the Hitech Pro Stopper. The gap is there without an adapter in mine but the ring covers all of the gasket on the Lee filter so its not a problem.
I've not however seen what the Hitech one is like in the 100mm Hitech holder.

Edit - I find Hitech customer services to be pretty good - I've visited the factory twice now as well (seemed a good idea whilst I was over that way:))

Last edited:
I didn't realise they were based around where I grew up and went to school.. Their customer service guy explained that some of the earlier 10 stop filters were designed before the newer holder, and so didn't have enough gasket - so they happily send it out FOC to anyone that finds they need it. (Although they forgot - and have promised to send it in the morning).

Back