Formatt-Hitech Firecrest Holder experiences

Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone. I am in the process of shifting from Canon to the Fujifilm X system. I was also interested in purchasing a new squared filters system instead of the Cokin P I actually own. I am considering the Nisi V5 pro and the Formatt Hitech Firecrest, although I am leaning towards the second one. The only concern I have, especially after reading some old comments on the net, is that the Firecrest system has a rubber ring on the holder aimed at stopping light leaks. The concern is that this ring could scratch the first slot filter. I am here to ask if whoever own this system has ever experienced this problem.

Thanks

I have it and not experienced any issues with the gasket, it's not the sort of material that would cause scratches imo, but obviously it's worth keeping an eye on it to make sure you don't get any grit or something stuck on it, although I'm not sure how you'd manage that. I only use the first slot when using the big stoppers where I need the light seal. The built in polariser works well, but I also have a second filter attachment ring for use without the polariser. You don't need to do this as the polariser unscrews but it just saves faff ;)

The gasket material is a dense foam, not rubber, the same as is traditionally used on the backs of dark ND filters.. There is a lot of faff factor involved with the firecrest, I can't speak for the Nisi as I have never use any of their products. A major disadvantage is the need for step rings, the only lens you can get a dedicated adapter ring for is the 10-24mm, though you don't strictly need it the, there is no vigentting with the supplied step ring. I don't personally feel there is anything like enough quality in the firecrest holder to warrant its price tag.

The gasket material is a dense foam, not rubber, the same as is traditionally used on the backs of dark ND filters.. There is a lot of faff factor involved with the firecrest, I can't speak for the Nisi as I have never use any of their products. A major disadvantage is the need for step rings, the only lens you can get a dedicated adapter ring for is the 10-24mm, though you don't strictly need it the, there is no vigentting with the supplied step ring. I don't personally feel there is anything like enough quality in the firecrest holder to warrant its price tag.
You don't need step rings for a number of lenses now as they've brought out a couple more. I have one for my 18-35mm that eliminates the vignetting that was there previously when the polariser was attached.

I think it's pretty well made tbh, but I don't think any of these higher end holders are worth their price. I tend to use mine without the slide on covers unless I'm shooting with a big stopper and want it totally sealed.

You don't need step rings for a number of lenses now as they've brought out a couple more. I have one for my 18-35mm that eliminates the vignetting that was there previously when the polariser was attached.

I think it's pretty well made tbh, but I don't think any of these higher end holders are worth their price. I tend to use mine without the slide on covers unless I'm shooting with a big stopper and want it totally sealed.

Fuji X lenses as per the OP - though I do stand corrected, the 100-400mm and 16-55 have a 77mm thread which you can get a direct adapter for too, and the 50-140 can use the same 72mm one as the 10-24. That just leaves all the primes and the 'kit' zooms to rely on step rings.

Mine is assembled with covers at the moment, otherwise I'm likely to lose all the bits! Easy enough to fit a grad through the vented caps, the covers are necessary to stop the loosened slot retaining screws just dropping out when no filters are in place!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuji X lenses as per the OP - though I do stand corrected, the 100-400mm and 16-55 have a 77mm thread which you can get a direct adapter for too, and the 50-140 can use the same 72mm one as the 10-24. That just leaves all the primes and the 'kit' zooms to rely on step rings.
D'oh, forgot it was for the Fuji system :facepalm: ;)

One of the main benefits of the firecrest holder is the price of it with the built in polariser. Its quite a bit cheaper than the Lee foundation holder and the Lee landscape polariser. The quality of the hitech firecrest holder isn't as high as the Lee equivalents, but for my amateur use its ok and i find the polariser wheel is much easier to use than turning the Lee polariser which could be easy to accidentally leave fingermarks when turning it.

Last edited:
I picked up the Nisi V5 Pro Holder last week along with a couple of "standard" Nisi Filters (Little Stopper, Big Stopper & 0.9 Grad) and its very similar to the Firecrest really, doesn't have the plastic shell like the Firecrest but I tended not to use that anyway, happy enough with the Nisi, works fine and its quite compact for sticking in a bag. Came with a Hard Leather Case which I think would be handy for travel but I picked up a Lowepro 100 S&W Filter Pouch which fits the filters and holder.

I picked up the Nisi V5 Pro Holder last week along with a couple of "standard" Nisi Filters (Little Stopper, Big Stopper & 0.9 Grad) and its very similar to the Firecrest really, doesn't have the plastic shell like the Firecrest but I tended not to use that anyway, happy enough with the Nisi, works fine and its quite compact for sticking in a bag. Came with a Hard Leather Case which I think would be handy for travel but I picked up a Lowepro 100 S&W Filter Pouch which fits the filters and holder.
Have they fixed the 'clip' now as I was going to buy this until I read repots of filters falling to the ground?

Thank you all for your replies. I don't think the firecrest holder is that expensive. In the "continent" it is sold for around 170-180 euros but includes the holder, 3 rings, pouch and 82mm polarizer. The same Lee (or regular Formatt-hitech aluminum holder) with a 105mm polarizer costs more than the double. Just the 82mm polarizer costs almost the same as the whole kit. By the way I like the plastic cover, it is not mandatory to use it but is there in case of need. On the other hand I read of light leaks problems both for the lee and Nisi V5 holders even with the foam masks attached to the filters (it seems like sometimes they are too thin an not adhere to the holder).

In the "continent" it is sold for around 170-180 euros but includes the holder, 3 rings, pouch and 82mm polarizer.
The forecrest holder should include all of those items wherever it's purchased (they are all packed in the same place in Wales as far as I'm aware). Costwise it's a great way to include a polariser if you are new to filters.

The plastic covers are to stop light leak around the edges of the filter. I only use them if using ND filters and no grads. Like @snerkler i use grads in the second slot.

Another question: in case of use of one ND filter which already has a gasket installed (i.e. Lee or Haida), it should be removed right?

Another question: in case of use of one ND filter which already has a gasket installed (i.e. Lee or Haida), it should be removed right?

Just fit it backwards with the gasket on the filter facing outwards

Back