Formby Point Red Squirrel

Edit My Images
Yes
I visited Formby Point this morning for the first time. Mainly to practice with my 500f4. I took loads of shots. Just had a fiddle with this one in lightroom (I'm still learning). I'm far from being fully competent with this lens as I've only managed to get out with it a couple of times since buying it..
C/C, advice welcome.

red-squirrel.jpg

1D mkII / 500f4 IS / 5.6 / ISO 200 / tripod+gimbal head / some lightroom tweeking.

Well I think it is great. IF I had any criticism it is that there is a bit too much space at top but that is very minor.

I think that's really rather nice hon :)

I wonder though if a horizontal crop would work slightly better, and maybe getting rid of that plant/weed that's sticking up above the tail?

certainly a cute little fella :love:

Will be good with a crop and some sensitive PP and USM

Nice to see a shot of our native red rather than the "grey imported" stuff (y)

BTW A couple of inches off the top would help IMHO

Hope you don't mind, but I went and had a little fiddle...

Cropped, saturation bumped, cloned out the plant/weed and a final sharpen before saving.

squigs.jpg

Well I think it is great. IF I had any criticism it is that there is a bit too much space at top but that is very minor.

I disagree about the space, I think it leads you into the dark labirynth of the wood/forest.

Great capture. (y)

I'm going to have to agree with Tiler on this one - I do think that the background is a little too dark & could use some selective lightening/toning, but I also feel that its a nice "empty" space which works for me & makes the shot a bit more unusual IMHO.
Edit: after looking at this image more I think that you should possibly lose the plant at the back too (as in jojo's edit). All things considered though - a very nice shot :clap:

Good to see you back here Trev (y)

I suddenly have a 500mm F4 craving.

Guess it will pass with a few more :beer:

Back