Fortnightly theme......Part 01 - Light

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
52 weeks in the year, so there'll be 26 themes this following year...... Every two weeks the theme will change, on a Sunday evening at around 8pm.

The first theme, off the top of my head is "Light".

Discussion of the theme in here, and also share your photos in here too.
If you're submitting a photo, then please comment on 2 other photos...one of which should be the one preceding your post (Hope that makes sense).....Unless you're the first person posting a photo of course.

Snap away folks? (Guidelines, rules and the way we do things, can, and most likely will change over the next two weeks while we settle into a routine everyone's happy with (y) :)

Marcel.

Just like the way the light falls on the guy and the sparkle in the water jets. Obviously taken in summer. :shrug:

39077158.jpg

Thats a good photo Kissphoto.

I like the position of the male although I would have preferred if you were able to pull back a little and maybe see more of his reflection and a little more of the water spouts which although at an angle tend to split up the frame.

A question to the mods. Are we not supposed to shoot to the theme rather than raid our library for shots that fits the theme?

Thats a good photo Kissphoto.

I like the position of the male although I would have preferred if you were able to pull back a little and maybe see more of his reflection and a little more of the water spouts which although at an angle tend to split up the frame.

A question to the mods. Are we not supposed to shoot to the theme rather than raid our library for shots that fits the theme?

Yes I would like to know this also, as it was not stated I sybmitted this image taken earlier, but will withdraw it if that is the case. Confirmation plase. Kissfoto :help:

Like the way the light draws the eye to the middle of the picture. I would like to have seen more of the reflection in the water.

As for photos, I guess it is to try to encourage us to take photos, but I also personally can not see a problem with posting photos already taken.

WOW!!!!
A girl could hang that on her bedroom wall!
I really love this picture ... oh and Hun .... we dont need to see his reflection here :D

Id like to discuss here, rather then critique as I have a questions...
See, pics like this are the sort that throw me, I love it and yet Im not sure whether Im supposed to be able to see detail on the shadow in his back or not, on my monitor I cant, well its really hard to distinguish unless my face is 3" from the screen.
Im thinking that as the subject is pretty close, it feels like it matters, where if the tog was further back it wouldnt.
Can someone advise here? am I just being picky?

I'll try my best to partake in this by shooting something fresh for each theme but if toward the end of the fortnight I havent got anything, I too was wondering if it would be ok to use an older pic ... as long as it hasnt been shown before.

Either way Kissfoto, well done on a great start! (y)

i think the above photo is great. although it looks like hes stood in a water fountain in the middle of a city? is this correct? ( just looking at the steps on the out side. the light has been captured well, and as said above., could be used nicely as a poster :) good work

Ok, totaly not what you had iun mind. but its quite dificult to grab a 6000k xenon headlamp bulb pionting into your lens without over/under exposing the rest of the picture..

headlamp-1.jpg

Obviously the idea behind the fortnightly theme is to give you all inspiration to get out and shoot something fresh, so posting an older shot isn't helpful to us in that respect.

BUT, I can understand that sometimes we can't get out and shoot something new, so submitting older photos that fit the theme for comments etc would be OK.

I personally don't mind (as a member taking part in these), so I don't see why not, as long as it doesnt become the 'norm' where no one takes anything new at all....lol. How about everyone else? What do you think?

I think first and foremost though we should at least try and take the photo specifically for the theme.

Thoughts?

Yup I agree Marcel - the idea should be to get us off our buts and get out and take a photo to fit the theme. However, inevitably some of us will, by chance, have the ideal shot sitting on our hard drive that fits the bill which I think should be allowed to be posted. Maybe on the proviso that it hasn't already been posted in the past.

I really like Kissfoto's shot, reminds me of the old Health and efficiency magazine:whistle:
DoubleT's shot couldn't have been easy exposing for that.

Just to be awkward, a different take on the word Light.

Light.jpg

This was the sunset that greeted us on coming home from Dad's funeral......I've called this "Even the sky said goodbye", because it really did send him on his way in a blaze of glory. This grab shot with a phone camera doesn't really do it justice.........the light was just amazing!

TheBoss said:
The first theme, off the top of my head is "Light".

Discussion of the theme in here, and also share your photos in here too.
If you're submitting a photo, then please comment on 2 other photos...one of which should be the one preceding your post (Hope that makes sense).....Unless you're the first person posting a photo of course.

Marcel.

Will posters please stick to the guidelines ... :rules: ... or The Boss may have to consider rubbing you out ... :D

:p

Sorry, I forgot!
I would have liked to see a bit more detail in the guys back.....muscles definition etc, but otherwise i really like it. The feather (although a good idea) looks a bit false and "heavy", probably due to the strange colour.

Admin...I've made a mess of your nice thread...please feel free to tidy it up into one entry!

The image of the man in the fountain is cool, but I think I would like to see it cropped portraight without the right hand side as I feel they distract a bit.

The sunset colours are great.

0092.jpg

Removed watermark, due to comments.
Thanks for the comments so far.

Admin...I've made a mess of your nice thread...please feel free to tidy it up into one entry!

We like messes Photostar ... makes life a bit more interesting ... :D

That is a really lovely 'non-feather' ... :D ... shot you've put up and it's a great sunset that will add to your memories of a sad event ... ;)

That is a super pic Weirdo ... lovely subtle colouring and a great effect ... I think you have done well with the overall presentation ... love it ... (y)

For me though ... it would be nice to see it without the writing all over the middle bit ... even if we do understand why you feel it is necessary ... it does distract somewhat from enjoying the pic properly ... ;)

I like that shot of weirdo's the light comming in at an angle really helps define the detail in the stone.

I have a few idea's myself for a shot but I need to actually get myself motivated enough to pick up my camera!

Another question: Can we submit more than one?

I have to thank TP for doing this thread; it got me up off my a*** and playing with my new camera and took me out of my comfort zone. Trouble is, I ended up with TWO types of pix I really liked!

I guess to keep with the spirit of things I'll hold back the second pic until there are more pix on here to comment on.

Weirdo's window is my favourite so far; it's very peaceful, and I love the way the light falls and highlights the texture of the brickwork. I can't fault it.

I like 'Even the sky said goodbye' for many reasons. Granted, it's not technically perfect and it would look much better with a decent skyline silouhette (or however you spell it). But the fact it's a 'grab' shot with a camera phone, and the fact it tells a story, makes it a far more attractive picture in my eyes than the more technically perfect 'staged' ones.

On with my effort for today, 'Steve':

SteveCandle.jpg

I'm very pleased with it. Taken with my D80 at ISO 320, shutter priority 1/2.5 sec at f/4 with focal length of 28mm. In PS Elements 2 I removed all saturation then added a lot of noise to give it a look that's not colour but not mono either. I'm really quite chuffed, but of course open to feedback.

I've still got one or two more ideas for 'light'... but I guess I'd best not peak too early!

That is a very good pic Andrew ... a good composition and some sympathetic processing too ... (y)

Only comment I would make is does it really need the tea lights by his elbow ... :shrug: ... for me I think they distract more than they add ... :D

Thanks PS. It's not a self-pic. I tried the same with Sunday's model Dan (without the tea lights at the elbow) but that time it didn't work half as well as this one.

The tumbleweed was because it looks like the fortnightly theme has already dropped off as it's not been a rip roaring success so far. Shame, because I like the idea of being 'forced' to try new things. I'd say already in 2007 I've taken over 10 pix that are better than my best pic of 2006!

:tumbleweed:

I took this outside York Minster at the photo meet on Saturday, it was just starting to get dark...

_DSC4180.jpg

ok so this is the comment for the image preceeding mine....

I really like the idea and the sepia toning of yourr shot ajdesq, but I feel you need more light in the eyes?

My favourite has to be Steve's red feather, a god interpretation of the theme too, the detail is superb!

it was your usual admin team efficiency at work marianne

Hi,

I didn't know how to attach my theme picture to my post, so have added it to my gallery as '2007Theme1_Light', sorry if it inconveniences. I'll learn how to do it properly by next entry (honest!)

My comments on previous two pics
York - I love the detail of the church in the back with the oldy woldy light, would have preferred to see more of the arch in the background and less / maybe none of the paving at the bottom of the pic.

Candlelight - I like this, it's nice and moody and works well with the portrait. I would not have noticed the tealight on the elbow had it not been pointed out, but find myself agreeing.

Hope my entry not too late - I was at least inspired to get out as there was a storm brewing today and I wanted to get cloud shots with shafts of light at the local church, but then this composition kind of jumped out at me.

Jas

As per post yesterday, hopefully my attempt at adding my pic will work...
Theme1_Light.jpg

Back