Forum Meetups

W

whiteflyer

When I first got a DSLR years ago, I was looking for things and places to shoot, and Talk Photography had meetups, I remember one at Bolton Abbey and Blackpool maybe one in Liverpool too if I remember right.

I've not bothered with photography for a few years now (for personal reasons) but wondered if there are still meetups or was this just in the early days when there where fewer members.

It was before my time, but mostly as I recall reading, these were organised by TP'ers and not by the Admins, although @Cobra did organise some himself. The F&C crows tended to have regular meetups before covid, again organised within that self-selecting group on the forum.

As Lindsay says, most of the meetups were member driven - we did have a couple of "official" get togethers, but they took a hell of a lot of organising, and to be honest, wherever we sited them, 2/3 of the country moaned about the location. And, of course, this was back when we had something like half a dozen or more additional mod's over what we have now...

but basically, I guess that the best advice is quite simply

IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME.

We used to have fairly regular London meets about ten years ago or so and those also expanded out to Chris's (Cobra's) territory around
places like Whipsnade.
There's an entire subforum set up for arranging them if you scroll down to 'Community' on the forums list.

also expanded out to Chris's (Cobra's) territory around
places like Whipsnade.
The MEGGA meets were fun, sadly the moans about location, and the failed attempt by a couple of members "up North" to run one pretty much killed it off.

As per @lindsay's comment, anyone is free to start their own meet.

And as Mark @DemiLion say's there is a sub forum for these. HERE

If anyone wants to organise something, we can make sure it's publicised forum wide.

I've been to several and they are always good. The filmies are probably the only group doing anything at the recently but I'd be up for a meet-up sometime next year.

And I think, if I'm being brutally honest, that quite a few core members of the various meets have now very sadly died.

And a fair few others (Yv for example) have left quite a long time ago.

It's far better members stating where they are going. Where you can park and the time they will be at a given time. If people wish to join them they do, if not there is no moaning or any sorting out to do.

It's far better members stating where they are going. Where you can park and the time they will be at a given time. If people wish to join them they do, if not there is no moaning or any sorting out to do.
That's how it works / has worked in the past, when meet ups have been arranged.
Meet at a Pub, coffee shop, landmark, at a given date and time.

Reactions: Nod
Its hard to see how people could meet up without a time, date and location.

I did post a while back about a West Midlands meet and 3 of the 5 responses were from me lol.

I think one or two people responded and that was it.

I'd be up for a meet but there appeared to be next to no interest when I created a post. Then again, perhaps it was because people just don't know me so didn't reply. Who knows.

Last edited:
I did post a while back about a West Midlands meet and 3 of the 5 responses were from me lol.
Perhaps in the new year we could have a bit of a push to get people to watch the meet ups forum so that they get notifications for posts in there.

Hope to start the London Wanders again next year (2023)
First one will hopefully be Kings Cross to Regents Park along the canal with stop offs along the way.
Last one started at Holborn and took in some lesser known places along the way ending at the Tate Modern.
Very pleasant lunch stop at a historic pub The Mitre just off Hatton Garden.
Covid and family health issues prevented any activity on my part the last couple of years.

I'd be up for a London wander next year. I've not been to the smoke for a few years apart from a couple of business meetings in the Shard in the last 18 months, so it would be nice to have a meander for some togging.

Yes, we have lost some good members, one way or another :(
Yup, there were some lovely people, a few of who I met in Brighton at a photography workshop way back when TP was a smaller place and I was a younger man..
CanonBob was one who really helped me out a few times.
I'm sure there are still many lovely people but sadly I've not met anyone from here for many years.
I'm a long way from London but mum is there so I do get up to visit at times, so I'd be another who'd be interested if I can arrange it..

Last edited:
Please excuse my ignorance, what is F&C ! ?
Film and Conventional, or fusty and crusty, take your pick. Although there is nothing conventional about it or the people these days :)

>Cross post with @stevewestern <

I remember the Chester zoo meet-up that someone organised met a few people then :)
was a while ago

Hope to start the London Wanders again next year (2023)
First one will hopefully be Kings Cross to Regents Park along the canal with stop offs along the way.
Last one started at Holborn and took in some lesser known places along the way ending at the Tate Modern.
Very pleasant lunch stop at a historic pub The Mitre just off Hatton Garden.
Covid and family health issues prevented any activity on my part the last couple of years.

I would love a London meet up as I apx 45mins away via train. What has put me off is the price of rail tickets now, plus eating and drinking in London is even more expensive now.
I have gone up on a Sunday though it is fairly quite not so many bars & pubs are open to grab lunch etc !

I would love to get som Pano's, architecture and scenery images of London !

I would love a London meet up as I apx 45mins away via train. What has put me off is the price of rail tickets now, plus eating and drinking in London is even more expensive now.
I have gone up on a Sunday though it is fairly quite not so many bars & pubs are open to grab lunch etc !

I would love to get som Pano's, architecture and scenery images of London !
In the past they have been midweek during term time for obvious reasons.
Kings Cross area itself since it's been redeveloped looks like it deserves exploration.
Some of the older shabby parts along the canal are interesting too and worthy of a few photos.

Rail fares off peak aren't too bad especially with the plethora of railcards available now.
Keep away from poncey craft beer gaffs and the prices aren't too bad especially if you can still find an old style pub or caff.

Born, lived and worked in London for over forty years so know my way around reasonably well.
East End, City and West End are my speciality subjects, ok with Docklands, but it's changed a lot since I was a kid.

Last edited:
I think that most people hiding from the KGB doesn't help encourage responses :)

I would love to join you guys on a photo walk-about, but I'm on the other side of the channel, and then some....
Maybe we could join you then, love a bit of Eurostar action and always good bargains to be had.
Whereabouts are you?

Sorry if you took that literally, just an expression I've heard since I was about 5 :)
Its a new one to me, guessing you ain't a Londoner then
When I was a kid the tally man was the main one to be avoided

Its a new one to me, guessing you ain't a Londoner then
When I was a kid the tally man was the main one to be avoided
No, my parents came from Bookham and Abinger, and I was brought up in the South West :)

CanonBob was one who really helped me out a few times.
Ah yes, @Canon Bob
I met him a handful of times, incredibly knowledgeable, very helpful and an all round good guy.

He's still dropping by from time to time, but hasn't posted in over a year, sadly

Ah yes, @Canon Bob
I met him a handful of times, incredibly knowledgeable, very helpful and an all round good guy.

He's still dropping by from time to time, but hasn't posted in over a year, sadly
Did he live in France or maybe that's someone else i'm thinking of?

Did he live in France or maybe that's someone else i'm thinking of?
He moved out there several years ago, but he still popped over for a meet occasionally.

Well since moving "darn souff" I've joined 3 Meetup groups for this very reason.
I don't know the area and have been on several enjoyable outings. Highest number attending was 15 and lowest 6.
I live 55 mins by train from Waterloo so a London meet would be of interest. All I ask is it starts at 11.00am at the earliest so that I can use my Senior rail card.

Another thing I'd like to do is astro. Again I do not know the area and am a bit wary of arriving on my own (in the dark) at some remote car park (which may be being used for "other activities!)

Just to add, most Meetup outings cost £3.00, pays for the website.

Well since moving "darn souff" I've joined 3 Meetup groups for this very reason.
I don't know the area and have been on several enjoyable outings. Highest number attending was 15 and lowest 6.
I live 55 mins by train from Waterloo so a London meet would be of interest. All I ask is it starts at 11.00am at the earliest so that I can use my Senior rail card.

Another thing I'd like to do is astro. Again I do not know the area and am a bit wary of arriving on my own (in the dark) at some remote car park (which may be being used for "other activities!)

Just to add, most Meetup outings cost £3.00, pays for the website.

Most people want to get an off peak return or use a railcard so that sort of start time makes sense.
Last time I prebooked an East Coast Main Line 1st class and had some breakfast on the way down.

So how many people who have posted in this thread "Watch" (follow) the meeting place forum?

Back