Forums All

CJC

Name
Carolyn
Edit My Images
No
Hello. I was following a thread regarding a good choice to get to replace a Canon Pixma 610 and
cannot retrieve that thread, so here I am.

A fellow 'Dave' was posting about the printer he wanted for his wife per her requests...I had to replace
my Canon Pixma 610 to make it compatible with new Mac. We got an Hp Envy Inspire 7255e which
is the absolute worst. I realize now that this site is about 'photos' which I do not do but the info seemed
pertinent for me and my issue here.

What are thoughts out there for what I should buy?
I do want clear and sharp text, duplex,......
I do not do photos so all those features aren't in my particular goals.
I am not confident that I understand the specific differences in the TS or TR lines.

I had some negativity about the Canon's MG...maga cartridges....not sure why.

Any input is appreciated.
CC

Hi, welcome to TP.

I've moved your thread to 'Printing and Presentation' as the 'Site Help and Support' forum is more for site related issues.

As you say, this is a photography forum but I'm sure someone will be along soon to help with your query.

Hi Carolyn. We have an Epson WF2930 printer that will do duplex, scans, copies etc, and qualilty is fine. If you can afford it, an Epson Ecotank will give you tanks that are intended to be refilled by the user to save money.

We previously had an HP jobbie for 7-8 years, and it was always temperamental. I will not buy another.

Hello. I was following a thread regarding a good choice to get to replace a Canon Pixma 610 and

A fellow 'Dave' was posting about the printer he wanted for his wife per her requests...I had to replace
my Canon Pixma 610 to make it compatible with new Mac. We got an Hp Envy Inspire 7255e which
is the absolute worst. I realize now that this site is about 'photos' which I do not do but the info seemed

I am not confident that I understand the specific differences in the TS or TR lines.

CC
Hi

I used to have the Canon TS8250 and was excellent but thirsty. It was used as a general printer as well for a limited number of photos.

Since sold, replaced by an Epson ecotank A3+ printer.

You have not mentioned your budget but consider this .....

AFAIK the Epson WF printers have good reviews
The none Ecotank versions will cost more to run (depending on the cartridge sizes and usage demand). With the Ecotank versions they cost more upfront but the ink lasts ages......a high usage rate will shorten the time between topups but the ink is less expensive when compared to cartridges.

All the best with finding a printer to suit your needs.

Pretty simple really. Doesn't sound to me like she'll be doing a lot of photos so simply find an inexpensive printer that does photo's also. between HP, Epson amd Canon my choice is Canon even though I've had a problem getting a camera to work again. Finally gave up and threw it away. had one of those small Epson 4x6 printer and the plug came out of the wall while it was on and that was the end of the printer. Had a couple maybe three HP's and they did everything I asked of them but short life. back them they didn't have ink that dried by the time the print was done. Have also had several Canon's and regardless my problems with their camera I haven't had a problem one with any canon printer. So my choice for you would probably be an 8.5" Canon. Not because they are all that much better than HP or Epson but simply because I've had better experience with them. Your mileage might vary!

CC

If you're not printing photos and only need A4 then look at colour laser printers, usually print/copy/scan and tend to work out a little cheaper than traditional inkjet in the long run. In my experience they're a lot less prone to problems too. Prices upfront are comparable with the ecotank type inkjets

CC

Do you need colour?
What sort of budget do you have?

As you don't don photos have you considered a laser printer?

I would always recommend a laser print to anybody not printing photos. Monochrome laser printers are cheap as are toners, you don't have to worry about block nozzles, they just work.

Colours lasers are a bit more expensive and you need 4 toners instead of one but third party toners can be found on Amazon for a lot less than originals. I have an HP colour laser printer in my office. I think it cost me about £180 9-10 years ago. I printer a fair bit but toners last me about 6 months and I buy third party toners on eBay for around £50 a set of 4

Monochrome lasers can be had for around £80-£90 and their toners can be found for as little as £15-£20 and they'll see you through 1500-2000 pages.

Last edited:
Back