Forums Upgrade....

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Just to let you all know, we are going to be upgrading the forums to the latest version of VB very soon, the Front of site will vanish also for a short while, we will get the forums back up and running as soon as possible, though we dont have an exact day/time yet!

We will endeavour to keep the switch as quick and painless as possible, the main forums will return first, with the front end soon after, the gallery will not be affected this time.

Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding!

:D

Wot - you mean the best is going to get better !?! :clap:

I don't think anyone will complain at this Matty - we will all applaude I am sure.

Well done you guys and a big, deserved thank you from me for one but I am sure I will not be alone ... :thumb:

Best, seasonal wishes to all, :smilenod:

Aye so if the forums aren't working at some point, do not panic.
Do not adjust your set.

Normal service will be resumed as quickly as possible on the Picadilly line, detours are in place etc etc.
:)

Venomator said:
Wot - you mean the best is going to get better !?! :clap:

I thought they said "upgrade" ;)

:shock:

about bloody time too, old software, grump, grump ;)

Warspite said:
I thought they said "upgrade" ;)

:shock:
Originally Posted by Venomator
Wot - you mean the best is going to get better !?!

Umm yeah ... bit like Nikon and the D200 :smilenod: :whistle2:

:thumb:

heh! Thanks Venomater, glad you like it!

Forums will be off line from Midday tomorrow i think, so while your waiting perhaps you would all like to take a Photo for this months competition, Things Around the Home?

It might be an idea for everyone to go through their private messages and copy anything they don't want to lose as we can't guarantee everything will stay intact. Also if you have a personal signature and avatar, make sure you can easily replace those once the forums come back online.

We will try to keep everything intact but wont be assisting in recovering that sort of data in the unlikely event of it being lost.

Last reminder to all members, check and empty your pm's of anything important and make sure that you can upload your avatar and signatures again, should anything go wrong in the upgrades. :)

The forums have just been opened again after a nightmare upgrade. Due to the time taken we have not yet had time to test all the functions or bug check. If you find something wrong please report it immediately in the Ideas and Suggestions Section

Please report all issues in one thread only.

Thank you for being patient while the upgrades are being performed.

Further changes will be introduced as we finish and customise the layouts, this could result in loss of connection/time outs or us having to close the forums temporarily with no notice.

Again we are sorry if this affects you. We are doing our best to minimise downtime.

the layout will alter slightly when Steve has regained his strength, so it looks almost the same as the old one, there are lots of little things see!

Take your time chaps. Everyone will understand and if they don't well.... :nunu:

Not sure if this is a bug or not as I can't reproduce it now.

I have lost my computer room for the xmas duration... so I am using an old laptop. This laptop has never been to TPF before.

I opened the home page no problem but when I clicked the forums link I got page cannot be found every time. I then logged in (once I remembered the pass I had used ) and then clicked the same link and it worked.

So I then logged out - got a cookies cleared message - and the link still worked.

I can't test it but it seems like a first time visitor cannot get to the forums via the main link. Sorry if it is just this laptop and a wild goose chase :)

Thanks Robert for reporting.

I have just logged out and cleared cookies, then tried what you said and all seems to work fine for me. I also tried it on a second laptop belonging to my better half, that also worked without issue.

I also just checked the URLS and they are identical from the link on the homepage to the actual address on the forums. I cant duplicate your issue and everything seems fine but at least we have it reported if someone else suffers the same problems :)

log out and back in, i had this nd that cured it!

clear your cookies after loggin out Joe, that might do it

We have changed the whole way the forums mark threads read, the forums now stores where you have been and what you have read at database level. It maintains that info inbetween sessions too so if you half read some posts but not all in a section, when you return it will still show as being red even if there are no new posts.

If you wish to mark all things read at the end of your visit just click on the "mark all forums read" link at the bottom of the main forum listing.

This is a much better method of tracking than on the old forums and one of the main reasons for us taking the time and trouble to upgrade.

Steve said:
We have changed the whole way the forums mark threads read, the forums now stores where you have been and what you have read at database level. It maintains that info inbetween sessions too so if you half read some posts but not all in a section, when you return it will still show as being red even if there are no new posts.

If you wish to mark all things read at the end of your visit just click on the "mark all forums read" link at the bottom of the main forum listing.

This is a much better method of tracking than on the old forums and one of the main reasons for us taking the time and trouble to upgrade.
Steve, is that default in vb 3.5.2 (my forum isn't busy enough to tell if it does the same!) or did you install a hack/plugin/extension? Cheers!

It is not default but is one of the three standard options.

Admin CP > General settings > Thread/Forum Read Marking Type > Database (automatic forum marking)

Ooooh, just noticed the "similar threads" section at bottom of some of the threads. Was that there before ? What criteria does it pick up on out of interest, as I can't see it on some threads that have similar titles ?

I think it uses keywords in thread titles, or in the posts. I'm not sure how accurate it is

It uses keywords and search indexes but only works on new threads, thats why for some threads they are not appearing and for others there are similar threads being shown.

It is possible to fine tune the accuracy but I have not had time to alter and play with the variables.

Watch it guys...before you know it , Steve will have it tied into Amazon suggesting books & retailiers for camera gear ;)

Back