Found a Flash Bar

Name
Terry
Edit My Images
Yes
I have found a very small TTL flash bar that works just fine with my little Fuji EF-X20 flash guns, and would work equally well with other small guns (it says not to put more than 200gms on the outer shoe, but I am sure it would support far more than that, I suspect a more limiting factor is the cameras own flash shoe.)
It is only 11 cm long and weighs about 30gm.

What is even more important is that it places the flash head above and to one side of the lens in both landscape and portrait orientation. So it is ideal for direct flash and as fill light. It is of sufficient height for there to be no need to remove the lens hood from the XF 18-55 lens when using the EF-X20 flashes. There is no danger of it causing a shadow, as is the case with the built in flash on the Fuji X-T30 camera.

I took it apart and even the metal shoes are held in place with four screws, and it seems to be very nicely made. The top and bottom halves of the moulding are held together with eight screws. And the wiring is soldered from the camera mounting shoe with wires to a circuit board running the length of the unit with each of the flash shoe contacts soldered directly to it. So it is both simply and effectively constructed.

They seem to be sold at various prices, but I bought mine from HK for only £7.98 inc postage. What ever price you pay they seem to all be identical units.

It has found a permanent home with both my EF-X20 flashes in my camera bag.
I certainly would not suit every one or indeed much larger flash guns but the function size and price make it a very useful item indeed.

comb-shoe.jpg

Last edited:
Back