Non UK Four days in Prague

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
Going to Prague next week for four days been doing a bit of planning on Trip Advisor on where to go, more to get an idea of places that are near together so can do them on the same day. Looking for any advice from anyone that has been. Thanks in advance.

Watching this with interest as we are off there for four days later in the year.

A lovely city :) While everything is fairly close together, and within walking distance as you say learning where things are is a good idea otherwise you'll be doing an awful lot of walking. The Charles Bridge connects the two sides of the city well around the touristy bits, so it's worth learning whereabouts it is! There doesn't seem to be a great deal of public transport around the tourist areas as it's old, thin cobbled streets so we just walked everywhere. Maybe somebody else that's been may feel differently.

On the one side of the river you have the castle etc, definitely worth a visit just be careful which tickets you buy for the castle. You can get into the inside for free, then pay for each section you want to go in. Or you can buy what you think is everything only to find you have to pay extra to go up the tower, like we did :LOL: On the same side, a little further round is Petrin tower which is also good, a nice walk from the castle to the tower through the park. If you aren't good with heights though I would be wary of going up the tower, the stairs are outside, and it sways in the wind :exit: brilliant views of the city from up there though!

On the eastern side of the river is the Old Town Square where lots of the walking tours start from, many of them free and you just tip your guide at the end, just look for the umbrella with your language on! There are also lots of places to eat here, although on the square is dearest if you go along the side streets they tend to be a little cheaper. Also on the square is the famous clock, make sure you catch the clock on the hour. Don't worry, there will be a crowd! Up towards the river again from the Old Town Square is the old Jewish quarter, which is now designer shops etc. However there are still some synagogues that are worth a visit as they're memorials and museums to the Jewish population that lived there before the Nazi's arrived, the Spanish synagogue is particularly impressive. Photography isn't really allowed in them though, even with a photography ticket (which you pay extra for) but worth the experience. If you wanted a walk to Letna Park it is up this way also, just walk over the bridge from the Jewish quarter and you're there. There are also a couple of boat tours that leave from up here.

Further over on the eastern side is Wencesles square, where the shops are but there's a large museum at the top, it was closed for refurbishment when we were there so can't comment! if you google the Velvet Revolution, you'll see lots of the images are from here.

There are lots of opportunities to get above the city in the old towers which cost a couple of pounds a time but give brilliant views. If you were only going to do one, make sure it's the one on the eastern side of the Charles bridge :)

If cocktails are your thing, we found a nice little place called Hemingway bar, small little quiet place with some really good bar staff. The kind of place with a menu but would make you anything you wanted. A good place to stop for a bite during the day is a place called the Grand Orient Cafe, Art Deco style and brilliant food but at cheap prices, the strudel was superb :p

I'm heading back to Prague in February for a few days (Third time over there) so will view with interest any new suggestions, however the places I've visited so far when I've been are basically a tourist trap list!

1. Charles Bridge, standard location cracking bridge and great for some early morning shots when its quiet, mobbed other times!
2. Prague Castle - we went up here one day and had a wander around, cracking views from up here and the castle itself wasn't bad!
3. Old Town Square - theres loads to see and do here, the Astronomical Clock is quite a popular attraction in the square itself and the Jewish Quarter around too.
4. Wenceslas Square - this is the main shopping area of the city and isn't in itself an awful lot to write home about (its basically 24 hour slot machines and UK shops like Next and M&S, loads of cafes and cars though and unlike some city centre locations in European Capitals it isn't actually that expensive to sit outside and people watch!! We loved sitting outside in February 2 years ago with a gas heater and a blanket!
5. The National Museum building sits at the top of the square however this is closed for refurbishment at present (has been for a number of years now)

Cracking city though, easily one of the most beautiful cities I've visited, I've seen a few other things I want to visit when I return in Feb this year, including the Old TV Tower which is now a viewing platform, bar and hotel! http://towerpark.cz/en/observatory+2

We joined a walking tour which started in the square next to the ornamental clock and finished over the river via the Charles Bridge at the castle. Also included lunch at a local cafe/restaurant.

We also went to the opera (Don Giovanni) in the evening. Never been to the opera before, enjoyed it a lot.

This was taken from the roof bar at the hotel we were staying in. Across the river from the old town.

Last edited:
Cannot add much to what has already been said in this post apart from this guy is worth a viewing with his guide to all things Prague.The guys in one of his videos gives some alternatives to the usual Prague tourists spots. I found just walking around Prague and "getting lost" was the best thing for finding some hidden gems.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt7oj318jVQi7vRbc1bNjJA

I went to Prague last year in October for a week loved the place the beer was excellent Dudak the stand out beer for me!

One place that is worth a visit if time permits is this place below catch the train out of Prague Station is 40 minutes out of Prague.about £8 return lovely place. plus there are several stops you can get off and get the feel for the Czech republic

https://www.hradkarlstejn.cz/en

Last edited:
Ah, we are staying at Questenberk Hotel. Never been to Prague before so this thread has given me some clues as to where I will go with my cameras

Ah, we are staying at Questenberk Hotel. Never been to Prague before so this thread has given me some clues as to where I will go with my cameras
I think the shot from the hotel roof bar was taken with the long end of a 70-300mm. So it was/is a good vantage point, but some distance from the old town.

Well I'm just back from 4 days in Prague and loved it, third time visiting but managed to squeeze in most of the standard things to do including a wander around Charles Bridge, a night-time visit to the Tower on Old Town Square, some great views from up there!
We also did a "Beer Spa" which was a little odd, basically sitting in a batch of hops, malt and water while drinking from your own self-service beer tap!!

We were lucky enough to have this as the view from the Tower at the top of our Hotel Room:

20170217 - View from the Tower - Hotel Paris Prague by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

I didn't end up going to the Zizkov TV Tower, partly because the view from the hotel was brilliant but also because I hadn't packed a longer lens than 100mm so I didn't think it would be long enough!! Great city as ever though!

@chrism_scotland - I can recommend U Jezulatka - as a Hotel - very small boutique hotel - but it is just next to the Charles Bridge on the Castle Side.
For all:
In prague what I can recommend - Visit Zlata Strana (near Hradcany - its a Prague Castle territory)
Old Town on both sides of Veltava River
Zizkov Tower
Very close to the Charles Bridge there is small garden where in the summer you can see peacock walking around
Kampa - little island on Veltava near charles bridge
Green Petrin
Skoda Museum in Mlada Boleslav - 40 miles away - but worth visiting !!!!

Going to Prague next week for four days been doing a bit of planning on Trip Advisor on where to go, more to get an idea of places that are near together so can do them on the same day. Looking for any advice from anyone that has been. Thanks in advance.
How did the trip go?

I did the trip in January - tried an all nighter around the castle but I can't cope with cold weather so back to bed I went at 2am

Kampa Hotel is great.

The Three Roses is excellent for food and beer. We also had an excellent meal at the Blue Duckling. Would actually like to go when it's warmer and do it properly.

Zizkov Tower

:eek: Why have I not seen this before with all the threads and pics of Prague I've seen over the years! :confused: :LOL:

That is a stunning building, like nothing I have ever seen before. I've been tempted by Prague, but that tower makes me want to go that little bit more. :)

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

Last edited:
OK - holy thread revival batman!

Heading to Prague again at the end of the month-ish, only this time with my wife, not as a lads weekend. Any further suggestions?
I've suggested a spa, then sent her the link to the beer spa.... :D

There is not much I can add about Prague that hasn't already been very well mentioned above.
There is also a firing range outside the city, which of your are interested in that sort of thing is quite good.
Also there is a YouTube channel that a local tour guide posts. Which are very good and explain many things to do and see in the city that are not in most guide books.
I will have a Google and post it here.

we stayed in the kavalier hotel about 2k out on the tram line very nice city

Firing range is something I do on the lads weekend in January, topgun prague, very good.
We're off on Sunday, I'll be checking out the David chezny art around the city, there's an infinity book tunnel in the library. I've listed lots of unusual things to find and see so I'll see what comes out..

We're staying in a small boutique hotel just off a side road close to Charles bridge, pickedfor location and because it has a full breakfast. :D

Last edited:
Back