Four images from my recent Assynt trip...

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
A couple of weeks ago I spent the week up in Assynt, based in Clachtoll. It was a very productive week. Here's 4 from the trip I've posted to social media so far...

First light on Ardvreck Castle, Loch Assynt...
Ardvreck Castle by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Clachtoll Aurora, taken right from beside the cottage I was using...
Clachtoll Aurora by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Elphin Bothy and Suilven...
Elphin Bothy by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Sunrise on Quinag...
Quinag sunrise by Martin Steele, on Flickr

I have loads more to go through from an awesome week away, which I'll post at a later date :)

First and last work the best-particularly the last tbh. I like one but I would like it more with reflections and still water but they're both engaging and aesthetically pleasing images. The blurred folliage destracts though from the last - but you're forgiven - it's such a windy place I cannot see how it's avoidable. All my trips to that part of the world have been marred with wind.

Sorry to say the 2nd shot doesn't work for me - astro rarely does but there is nothing wrong with it as such. Same with the 3rd, I just don't get the appeal of the bothy as a picture but it's a nice enough example of the shot.

First and last work the best-particularly the last tbh. I like one but I would like it more with reflections and still water but they're both engaging and aesthetically pleasing images. The blurred folliage destracts though from the last - but you're forgiven - it's such a windy place I cannot see how it's avoidable. All my trips to that part of the world have been marred with wind.

Sorry to say the 2nd shot doesn't work for me - astro rarely does but there is nothing wrong with it as such. Same with the 3rd, I just don't get the appeal of the bothy as a picture but it's a nice enough example of the shot.

We had one good day for reflections, but the light didn't deliver then the wind picked back up. It was a wild week, 25mph with gusts to 57mph throughout the week, so there was no chance of reflections lol! Number 4 is possibly my favourite image from the trip...I did think of cloning the blurred heather out, but don't think I could have done it where you couldn't tell. The Aurora was just a lucky grabshot from the cottage after heading out to check elsewhere, when we got back it kicked off, so not ideal, but you make do with what's there. I like the bothy and Suilven, so :p

I like the first one very much, as a nicely rendered image of a bleakly beautiful highland scene.

We had one good day for reflections, but the light didn't deliver then the wind picked back up. It was a wild week, 25mph with gusts to 57mph throughout the week, so there was no chance of reflections lol! Number 4 is possibly my favourite image from the trip...I did think of cloning the blurred heather out, but don't think I could have done it where you couldn't tell. The Aurora was just a lucky grabshot from the cottage after heading out to check elsewhere, when we got back it kicked off, so not ideal, but you make do with what's there. I like the bothy and Suilven, so :p

25-57. Jesus. Rather you than me, 2-5mph is my limit :)

Nice set Martin I like the bothy but it may be drafty in there at 57mph

Nice mood in 1 and 3, and jealous of the aurora in #2.

It's a favourite place of mine - you should try it in the winter when it is just spectacular. Its a relatively easy walk up Quinag too, and spectacular from the top.

Fine shots and well done sir, however...… I do have a problem with the shot of the bothy, my eye is immediately drawn to the white object in the RH door and it distracts from the rest of the picture. If I were possessing the image I would tone that area down. Just my opinion though.

Nice mood in 1 and 3, and jealous of the aurora in #2.

It's a favourite place of mine - you should try it in the winter when it is just spectacular. Its a relatively easy walk up Quinag too, and spectacular from the top.
Thanks Andy, yeah a revisit once winter really hits is already pencilled in. :D

Fine shots and well done sir, however...… I do have a problem with the shot of the bothy, my eye is immediately drawn to the white object in the RH door and it distracts from the rest of the picture. If I were possessing the image I would tone that area down. Just my opinion though.
Thanks Gordon :)

Back