FOV advise req'd

Name
Bruce
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently used a GoPro to capture a game played by my Football club,At about 170 deg it almost took in the entire pitch,I've been asked to investigate how a serious way to capture the game using 2 cams to reduce the fisheye effect and provide a view of the pitch in order to evaluate the structure of play/formations at set play etc for analysis,One company claims a dual cam setup was available but has been withdrawn,My google search has not identified the FOV specs which I estimate to be about 60/70 deg and the equipment to provide joint display to represent a video providing coverage of the entire pitch,Any info appreciated.

It depends on how far back from the pitch you can get the camera.

Even then, you'd probably need to create a video overlay of slightly curved lines to deal with lens distortions.

I can use a gopro from a gantry but the FOV which i believe to be about 170 is not quite enough and of course the fisheye results in a significantly curved video, I have an appointment today with a company, I am looking to use 2 cameras,One for each half of the pitch,Positioned some 10 metres high and 4 metres from the edge of the pitch,The cams will feed a DVR,Happy to post conclusions.

Distance camera to pitch is then SQRT(10^2 + 4^2)m = SQRT(116)m = 10.77m

Assuming that the pitch is 100m long, each camera has to cover 50m of one touch line. (You need to check this as I believe the rules allow some variation - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football_pitch)

Then assuming that the camera is placed 1/2 way along the touchline with the camera orientated so the way it's facing is perpendicular to the touchline (i.e. the camera body is parallel) then 1/2 the required field of view is:
tan angle = 25/10.77
tan angle = 2.32
angle = 66.7

So the field of view of the cameras to get fully both halves would be 133.4 degrees. The image would be distorted though, so to judge offside, distance between things etc., you'd need to either undistort the image or create a simple overlay etc.

Distance camera to pitch is then SQRT(10^2 + 4^2)m = SQRT(116)m = 10.77m

Assuming that the pitch is 100m long, each camera has to cover 50m of one touch line. (You need to check this as I believe the rules allow some variation - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football_pitch)

Then assuming that the camera is placed 1/2 way along the touchline with the camera orientated so the way it's facing is perpendicular to the touchline (i.e. the camera body is parallel) then 1/2 the required field of view is:
tan angle = 25/10.77
tan angle = 2.32
angle = 66.7

So the field of view of the cameras to get fully both halves would be 133.4 degrees. The image would be distorted though, so to judge offside, distance between things etc., you'd need to either undistort the image or create a simple overlay etc.
Thank you for this info,We got a demo using a single camera,It needed to be some 14/15 metres from the edge of the pitch before it captured the complete field of play,By this time play is not detailed enough,I am trying to discover if a 2 camera system can display a split screen picture,So far CCTV equipment can display a number of boxes on a single screen,I am looking to have a system where a quick review can determine shape/formation at set pieces etc,It is not permitted to access the footage and engage the ref for instance,It would be for analysts,Any advise appreciated.

Last edited:
Back