Fowlmere: the visitors

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
It's been a good while since I last stopped a stranger at random and asked to take their portrait. Inspired by @blakester and numerous others I thought I'd try to make a bit of a project of it, rather than my usual elaborately lit and processed studio stuff. It's definitely time I learnt how to photograph people who are neither models nor performers.

I quite often pop out from work at lunchtime and visit a local bird reserve but - bar the odd bad snap of a kingfisher - I've never developed much interest in photographing the wildlife. I though it would be interesting to create portraits of the other visitors through the seasons and see what comes of it. I'm going to try to photograph anyone who's willing rather than selecting interesting-looking people, but they may end up getting culled in the end.

I'm quite pleased with the first results but they're not at all what I had in mind. I was working too quickly, somewhat conscious that I was interrupting people's visits, and fell straight into a default head & shoulders shot. I was also just going for my usual walk around the reserve and shooting more or less where I found people rather than waiting at a good location with nice light.

Next time I'm going to lurk at one or two spots and try to include more of the environment.

I found that my conversations with the visitors started to come out almost exactly the same. Nearly everyone was there for the same sorts of reasons. I also need to think about the sort of expressions I want to capture, and whether I want my subjects to make eye contact. Most visitors are in a similar state of mind, fairly tranquil, out to relax, mildly surprised to be jolted out of their reverie by an uncouth photographer. I can't decide whether to make use of that or to try to get more of a reaction.

I also can't decide whether to leave the images entirely unprocessed or present them - as here - with a little bit of toning. My head tells me to leave them but I find myself applying a little polish by way of toning and curves tweaks.

Rachel was my first subject. She was a little shy and somewhat surprised to be asked, but entirely willing. Rachel visits most weeks and enjoys the peace and quiet. Ironically at the time there was a car alarm going off in the distance. (Another learning point - I'd used my default studio portrait lens for Rachel, which is too long for me to get close enough to make effective use of my hand-held reflector.)

John was next. He's been visiting this reserve and numerous other local ones for years. He's not a fanatical birder but is very knowledgeable all the same. He'd seen an otter and hoped to spot a kingfisher later on.

Next up was Marlene. Marlene was over from the Eastern Netherlands ('the very mountainous bit') visiting her daughter in Cambridge. We discovered that I'd been to her home town to attend an acrobatics festival some years ago. She particularly enjoyed how accessible the reserve was to those of limited mobility; The Netherlands doesn't have anything like it.

Feedback, both on the images and the direction of the project, is very welcome.

Hi Simon.

Just as I love browsing Iain's thread, I like this one too! General thoughts are that you've done well to engage your subjects - although Marlene looks a little wary. Great exposure and choice of DOF work well to compliment the subject.

#1 is a corker. Slight tilt to the head, nice half-smile, enough jacket to know it's "cold outside" which compliments the rosy glow to the cheeks. nice blue eyes open wider than your other two subjects.

#2 suffers from (you?) being slightly further away, although the OOF trees to the left really work well as a complimentary background. Maybe a 16:9 crop just to remove a bit of the coat off the bottom which is competing for attention with the subject? Difficult though if you want to retain the same image dimensions through the project 'cos #1 is a perfect composition (for me)

#3 seems like another step further back and the coat now dominates the frame. The subject looks like she's leaning away from the camera and the wary expression and white hair-white background make this the weakest of the three shots for me.

Love the idea. Love the "normal" people. Love the little backstory. Suggestions going forward.. Concentrate on your backgrounds. You've got 2 out of 3 spot on. Consider getting your subject to stand up straight so that the head is separated from the body and the slouched shoulders are squared off. Rachel has a better stance than John probably because women slouch less than men. Consider a slight angle to the body with the head turned towards the camera. Or a tilt to the head - again Rachel's shot shows just how well this works.

Bookmarked!

Great start to your project Simon.
I'm sure it has a lot of potential with regards to people to photograph.
You've said about a default head and shoulders shot, this resonated with me. I've found that approaching strangers and asking to make their portrait easier if it is just H&S as opposed to a full or 3/4 body shot. A lot of people can feel quite self conscious posing and I feel this leads to quite a stiff pose unless I suggest poses.
Reference the conversations coming out exactly the same, I've found that too at times. Other times you'll meet people who are utterly engaging and love to talk haha. Thinking of the Humans of New York project, those people seem to spill their inner most thoughts, fears etc. I think he is a victim of his own success now that he is so famous, people are almost waiting to one day come across Brandon Stanton for their 15 minutes of fame.
I do like your portraits, and see nothing wrong in adding a little polish as you put it. As I said above, the project has a lot of potential, through the seasons, different people, foliage, colours etc. It could also give an enormous sense of place. Good luck!

Reference the conversations coming out exactly the same, I've found that too at times. Other times you'll meet people who are utterly engaging and love to talk haha.!

People are wonderful and amazing (for the most part) That's why I love projects like this and the Strangers.

Hi Simon.

Just as I love browsing Iain's thread, I like this one too! General thoughts are that you've done well to engage your subjects - although Marlene looks a little wary. Great exposure and choice of DOF work well to compliment the subject.

#1 is a corker. Slight tilt to the head, nice half-smile, enough jacket to know it's "cold outside" which compliments the rosy glow to the cheeks. nice blue eyes open wider than your other two subjects.

#2 suffers from (you?) being slightly further away, although the OOF trees to the left really work well as a complimentary background. Maybe a 16:9 crop just to remove a bit of the coat off the bottom which is competing for attention with the subject? Difficult though if you want to retain the same image dimensions through the project 'cos #1 is a perfect composition (for me)

#3 seems like another step further back and the coat now dominates the frame. The subject looks like she's leaning away from the camera and the wary expression and white hair-white background make this the weakest of the three shots for me.

Love the idea. Love the "normal" people. Love the little backstory. Suggestions going forward.. Concentrate on your backgrounds. You've got 2 out of 3 spot on. Consider getting your subject to stand up straight so that the head is separated from the body and the slouched shoulders are squared off. Rachel has a better stance than John probably because women slouch less than men. Consider a slight angle to the body with the head turned towards the camera. Or a tilt to the head - again Rachel's shot shows just how well this works.

Bookmarked!

Thank you for taking the time to comment in detail! I actually prefer #2 to the others because it has more context. If anything I think I need to be wider still and use a deeper depth of field to show still more of it. We'll see what happens when I try it.

As for Marlene - I stuffed up the focus on the most engaging shot of her. For this frame she was drawing herself to her full height. I know the coat dominates - it does in person too. She had a piercing intelligent gaze kind of perched atop a voluminous purple coat and I wanted to capture that. You're right, it would have come across better if I hadn't lost her hair against the sky.

I'll consider a slight angle to the shoulders in future. I consciously didn't do that with these folk, probably as a reaction to my habit of over-posing models in the studio. In fact I gave very few directions, concentrating mainly on chatting while shooting, though I only took half-a-dozen frames of each at most.

Great start to your project Simon.
I'm sure it has a lot of potential with regards to people to photograph.
You've said about a default head and shoulders shot, this resonated with me. I've found that approaching strangers and asking to make their portrait easier if it is just H&S as opposed to a full or 3/4 body shot. A lot of people can feel quite self conscious posing and I feel this leads to quite a stiff pose unless I suggest poses.
Reference the conversations coming out exactly the same, I've found that too at times. Other times you'll meet people who are utterly engaging and love to talk haha. Thinking of the Humans of New York project, those people seem to spill their inner most thoughts, fears etc. I think he is a victim of his own success now that he is so famous, people are almost waiting to one day come across Brandon Stanton for their 15 minutes of fame.
I do like your portraits, and see nothing wrong in adding a little polish as you put it. As I said above, the project has a lot of potential, through the seasons, different people, foliage, colours etc. It could also give an enormous sense of place. Good luck!

Thank you! I think perhaps Americans like to talk more than Brits?

I'm wrestling with the posing thing. It's tempting to go towards a slightly fashiony environmental portrait - where the subject is arranged to suit the composition and not really so much to make eye contact with the camera - but I like the immediacy and character of the headshots, and anything more elaborate would take much longer.

I agree Ian.
Simon, this project will really grab you I'm sure.

Either I'll fail to find a style and working method over the next couple of weeks and give up, or I'll get completely drawn in and won't be able to put it down. I don't usually have a middle ground.

@juggler
Simon, I dabbled with wider portraits as well as head shots at the beginning of my second round of strangers but latterly the wider shots have fallen away.
I think, in the case of your project being so location specific would one not wish to continue with wider portraits to give that sense of place?
Alternatively, the clue is in the title, people seeing your project know where it was shot.
I do like head shots, filling the frame with the person, it's all about them isn't it?

@juggler
Simon, I dabbled with wider portraits as well as head shots at the beginning of my second round of strangers but latterly the wider shots have fallen away.
I think, in the case of your project being so location specific would one not wish to continue with wider portraits to give that sense of place?
Alternatively, the clue is in the title, people seeing your project know where it was shot.
I do like head shots, filling the frame with the person, it's all about them isn't it?

You're quite right - I'm going to experiment with a variety of lengths to see where it takes me.

Interesting project, subscribed :)

Let me know when you are there and I'll avoid going, you really don't want a pic of my ugly mug o_O I really like what you've captured so far really natural looking. I really admire you and Iain for doing these kind of projects something I haven't got the confidence, or skill, to even attempt.

Just a word of caution I've heard there's been a few cars broken into, the car alarm you mentioned may of been another one, so don't keep any valuables on show, assuming of course you drove there in the 1st place.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Great start Simon, hope you had a lovely Xmas :D
So far I'm rather liking the soft tones of the backgrounds and definitely drawn to the guy no2, he just has one of those lovely grandad faces lol..
I shall keep a look out and see how this progresses.

Interesting project, subscribed :)

Let me know when you are there and I'll avoid going, you really don't want a pic of my ugly mug o_O I really like what you've captured so far really natural looking. I really admire you and Iain for doing these kind of projects something I haven't got the confidence, or skill, to even attempt.

Just a word of caution I've heard there's been a few cars broken into, the car alarm you mentioned may of been another one, so don't keep any valuables on show, assuming of course you drove there in the 1st place.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks for the heads up.. and in return, I'll be there weekday lunchtimes :)

So.. I've been slow in updating this thread and not getting out as often as I should. This project tends to fall down the list a bit when I've got decorating, family stuff or studio shoots to do.

Fowlmere #4: Dusty by Simon Carter, on Flickr

Dusty was perfectly willing to take part and grasped the idea behind the project instantly. He barely stopped chatting for a moment, principally about his lifelong love of wildlife and the various nature reserves he knows in this part of the world. He lives very close to another one but visited Fowlmere for a change.

Thanks Dusty!

Fowlmere #5: Rob by Simon Carter, on Flickr

Rob was rather shy and slightly taken aback to be asked, but entirely willing to talk part. He's a photographer too, though principally interested in wildlife photography. His lens was considerably longer than mine and in a full camouflage jacket. Somehow photographing another photgrapher is considerably more intimidating than shooting someone who doesn't tend to hide behind a camera. In this image I was compensating for the intimidation factor and trying to capture some of the intensity in Rob's eyes.

He gets to Fowlmere as often as he can, and on the day I photographed him he had his utterly charming 4 year-old daughter Imogen with him.

Thanks Rob, and Imogen too for your patience.

Fowlmere #6 Natasha by Simon Carter, on Flickr

I caught Natasha on a rare day out – she was visiting Fowlmere with a friend because she unusually had a day off and – in her words – the light was beautiful. She was very interested in the project and concept as a whole.

Natasha’s a paediatrician; I only realised after we’d parted that I’d photographed her on the day of the junior doctors’ strike here in the UK. I’ve no idea whether Natasha was on strike or not but I’m guessing so. ‘Junior’ doctors is something of a misnomer which includes the bulk of the UK’s hospital doctors. They work very hard in challenging circumstances, made constantly more difficult by successive governments.

Thanks Natasha!

Tech stuff: I was deliberately shooting into the light but the slight breeze meant that I couldn't keep my hand-held reflector & scrim still where I wanted it. Consequently there is more flare than I really wanted, and the image has taken a slight battering during processing. Next time it's windy I'll ask someone else to hold the reflector or shoot in a different direction.

Fowlmere #7: Piu by Simon Carter, on Flickr

Piu was the partner of Natasha - see number #6 - they were visiting Fowlmere together on a gorgeous hazy day.

We chatted so much about the 100 strangers project and what a great idea it was that I entirely forgot to chat to Piu about himself.

I was also in a bit of a hurry to take the shot, having spent so long wrestling with my reflector in the wind while photographing Natasha. It's all a learning experience, though.

Thanks Piu!

So.. I've been slow in updating this thread and not getting out as often as I should. This project tends to fall down the list a bit when I've got decorating, family stuff or studio shoots to do.

That's the perennial frustration with projects when you have more pressing things to consider. :(

I've nothing to say about the photos, because you seem to know what you're doing and doing it well. (y)

That's the perennial frustration with projects when you have more pressing things to consider. :(

I've nothing to say about the photos, because you seem to know what you're doing and doing it well. (y)

thanks!

It's nice to have some background projects - but when I get interested in a thing I find it difficult not to do it 100%. I'm hoping this project will remain a constant low-level background one.

I also hope the photos will become interesting - as opposed to competent - as the set grows, the seasons change and my interaction skills improve. We'll see.

Very nice photos Simon. I'm not the greatest so take with a pinch of salt if you like :) I like the way the tree (to the right) in #3 frames her, but I also find it somewhat...distracting. That's just nit picking though. Otherwise I like them all, #2 in particular. I like the way the background is subtle but gives context. And I like the processing as is. I'll be looking out for more.

Very nice photos Simon. I'm not the greatest so take with a pinch of salt if you like :) I like the way the tree (to the right) in #3 frames her, but I also find it somewhat...distracting. That's just nit picking though. Otherwise I like them all, #2 in particular. I like the way the background is subtle but gives context. And I like the processing as is. I'll be looking out for more.

All opinions welcome, thanks for taking the time to write.

Hi Simon. Great stuff you getting out and about. Not the easiest thing in the world to do. As is the general feeling in the above comments you got a great natural pose in the first. I can't offer any crit some images are most likley going to be technically spot on but maybe not the best to veiw. People are people and some have the x factor :) Hope it goes well good luck !!

Gaz

Fowlmere is one of my haunts, might capture me there one day if you are unlucky, don't forget to put a few bob in the helter skelter cashpot near the visitors shed

Stand out portrait of this latest batch is Rob's for me Simon.
It's the intensity of his look but also the closer crop too and the slightly more contrasty look when viewed in comparison to the others.
Opposite to that though, I also enjoyed Natasha's portrait for the slight flare.

Good work!

That's totally fab... I really wanted to do something like this, and it's still in my box of projects (I've just not been brave enough to start)... but I have a sort of theme, but will require a bit of 'balls' on my part to ask the question... (don't ask).
Anyway, kudos to you, asking total strangers for a photo is gutsy, ballsy and well... more ka-hoonas than I have.

I find vegetables far less stressful and you don't even have to ask them...

That's totally fab... I really wanted to do something like this, and it's still in my box of projects (I've just not been brave enough to start)... but I have a sort of theme, but will require a bit of 'balls' on my part to ask the question... (don't ask).
Anyway, kudos to you, asking total strangers for a photo is gutsy, ballsy and well... more ka-hoonas than I have.

Sorry Simon, don't wish to derail your thread but......
Come on @sunnyside_up, Bethy, don't leave us hanging, what's the question? :D

I wish I could say it gets easier. My choice of time & location means that I have a lot of busy middle-aged male software engineer bird spotters to choose from.

I do find asking people easier than candid street stuff, though, but I enjoy that too. I'd been putting this project off until I had a reflector I could hand hold in one hand 'cos it just wouldn't be possible otherwise(!). And then I was given one for Christmas, so here we are. I need to control as much as I can, obviously.

*as for your question needing 'balls'....
I sincerely hope that it's nothing to do with a message earlier today. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. What's the worst that could happen?

wow, sorry I am late to your thread, somehow I thought it would be about birds. ha-ha. Love the idea and the portraits are stunning. Not a lot to add apart from I am looking forward to seeing more . I need to pluck up the courage for and take some portraits to include in my bus series

Last edited:
I've only just noticed this thread, Simon - forgive me. It's a decent project and you've already made a really good start. One thing I learnt from Iain's project is to pick a spot you want to use as a background (light, scene, etc) and wait for someone to come along. That way you should be able to get away without a reflector, which may put people off?

Aha! Well slap my thigh and call me Susan, great thread revival! How's the project going Simon? @juggler

I've only just noticed this thread, Simon - forgive me. It's a decent project and you've already made a really good start. One thing I learnt from Iain's project is to pick a spot you want to use as a background (light, scene, etc) and wait for someone to come along. That way you should be able to get away without a reflector, which may put people off?

I don't think the reflector puts folk off, I don't get it out until we've chatted for a bit. The backgrounds are an issue. I've tried waiting for ages to wait for someone to come along but I invariably get bored and wander off.

Aha! Well slap my thigh and call me Susan, great thread revival! How's the project going Simon? @juggler
It's completely stalled for a number of reasons / excuses..

I've taken on a studio share so most of my energy has been going into that.
I stopped when I got ill - but am slowing recovering.
My reasons for doing the project were never the strongest. The aim was to create portraits of anyone, not just interesting looking folk, as a way of improving my own skills. Unfortunately I'm not quite interested enough in the average lunchtime visitor - a middle aged male office worker with an interest in birds and few social skills - nor in the wildlife itself to really motivate myself. If I was passionate about the birding scene then it might be different. As it is they're mainly random headshots in uninteresting light of ordinary folk with whom I don't share an interest.

The fact that I'm not motivated actually strengthens the reasons for doing it - shooting to a brief is a worthwhile skill in itself. I'll see whether I can get going again soon.

Back