Fox approaches woman having a picnic...

And the other story that goes with this is that one of the Glasgow universities (I forget which without looking for it again and I can't get it wrong or I'll upset my partner..........) has done a study that shows that urban foxes are diverging from rural foxes in their brains and even the shape of their faces. They're adapting like dogs when they began to be domesticated. But they're far from cute and cuddly, and this is what some people just don't understand.

The problem with practically encouraging them like this is sooner or later they will grab something far more serious than a sandwich.
https://metro.co.uk/2018/02/15/killer-urban-fox-attacks-baby-bouncer-sneaking-family-home-7314171/
It's not nice when something like this happens, but it is extremely rare.
However, in this case, the family knew the fox had been hanging around the garden, had previously killed a neighbours cat, yet in February, the back door was left open, and the baby was left unattended in the living room.

Last edited:
It's not nice when something like this happens, but it is extremely rare.

It's not an isolated case, I would never let a fox in my home
The urban ones do seem to be becoming less timid and not so inclined
to run or hide

Last edited:
After the trailcam footage I got last night, I'd be happy never to see another fox near my garden

One of our dogs has brought fox poop into the house twice to chew on.... :hungover:
Choice would be easy for me!

:coat:

Have a family of four in my back garden all through the night, the Vixen pees but there's nothing else. :)

Last edited:
And the other story that goes with this is that one of the Glasgow universities (I forget which without looking for it again and I can't get it wrong or I'll upset my partner..........) has done a study that shows that urban foxes are diverging from rural foxes in their brains and even the shape of their faces. They're adapting like dogs when they began to be domesticated. But they're far from cute and cuddly, and this is what some people just don't understand.
I’m sure you know (I think it’s been on TV) that a Russian bred captive foxes selecting for tameness and got very tame foxes in very few generations.

From my post in the what annoyed me today thread

A neighbour was worried because she hasn't seen the hedgehogs she feeds on her patio for a few,
asked me if I could set up the trailcam
Hedgehogs didn't appear until much later the usual, one was happily feeding whilst the another watched, waiting it's turn.
Next thing a fox dashes across the patio and grabs the waiting one, turns and runs off with it, lots of noise
A later clip showed a hedgehog try hard to get back across the patio area towards the food, wasn't moving well
Later clip showed another hedgehog stopping sniffing around where the injured one first stopped
I've had clips of the hedgehogs and foxes together in my front bit and they never took any notice of each
normally, but looking back, the last encounter about a week ago, the hedgehog did stop when it saw the fox,
turned and scuttled off so perhaps it's happened before
I've always been told that foxes don't harm healthy hedgehogs, seems it's not true

Don't know what has changed, previously foxes would clear the hedgehog food this one didn't even try , perhaps it's a new on to this area and
not one of the resident pair, still annoying and sad to see.
I have another video of a hedgehog with an injured hind leg so this might explain that too

Don't know what has changed, previously foxes would clear the hedgehog food this one didn't even try , perhaps it's a new on to this area and
I have another video of a hedgehog with an injured hind leg so this might explain that too
Gardens are being turned into “watering holes” and we know that doesn’t always end well :(. Its possibly causing concentrations of animals in close proximity that may encounter each other more rarely normally. Maybe our back gardens are the ”Wuhan wet markets“ of U.K. ;(.

Or maybe foxes have always snacked on a few smaller hedgehogs. As I mentioned earlier my terrier had no difficulty killing them once he had the knack. I won’t go into details here :(.

Some time ago I remember posting about a couple of people I saw on TV (May have been 40 years ago) who fed a “horde” of badgers in their conservatory (they were there too) each night -- they are probably dead now from TB ;).

Gardens are being turned into “watering holes” and we know that doesn’t always end well :(. Its possibly causing concentrations of animals in close proximity that may encounter each other more rarely normally. Maybe our back gardens are the ”Wuhan wet markets“ of U.K. ;(.

Could be, but we have had both foxes and hedgehogs here for years, foxes eat whatever is left out,
previously I have footage of them going onto the patio and eating the dried hedgehog regularly left out.
Last night only fox I saw was the one that dashed in took the hedgehog and dashed out again in a few seconds

That is a shame, however I guess size-wise the Fox would consider it fair game ... not the easiest snack though!
Mine seems to have so far avoided any confrontation though I have no doubt that the Fox has seen it as I have seen him chasing around the hedge looking for something that obviously moved.

I have footage of them going onto the patio and eating the dried hedgehog regularly left out.
You feed them dried Hedgehog and then complain about the Foxes? :eek:

:LOL:

You feed them dried Hedgehog and then complain about the Foxes? :eek:

Not me, my neighbour but they seems to like it and thrive on it, gets cleared every night, even last night
without the help of the foxes
Damned expensive, £8 for 2kg bag that doesn't last that long

Ps I doubt it contains dried hedgehog :p

Interesting last night, fox followed a hedgehog onto the patio, got spooked by the camera
but continued to sniff right at the back legs, lady in the house must have looked out of the french
doors, fox saw the curtain moved and made a hasty exit
About an hour later hedgehog feeding but side on to the entry point, fox comes in and hedgehog curls
up, after a couple of sniff fox leaves and doesn't come back for the rest of the night , but may have
been hunting elsewhere

Last edited:
Not me, my neighbour but they seems to like it and thrive on it, gets cleared every night, even last night
without the help of the foxes
Damned expensive, £8 for 2kg bag that doesn't last that long

Ps I doubt it contains dried hedgehog :p

Is the hedgehog food your neighbour puts out in the open? If so, then that could be at least part of the problem as the foxes will be attracted to the food and therefore encounter the hedgehogs more.

I used to put wet dog food out for the hedgehogs, but the local cat ate it. I then tried dry dog food. The cat left that alone, but the foxes ate it. The solution was to make a hedgehog feeding station with baffles so the fox can't get in and weigh it down with planters(at the moment I reckon it weighs about 9kg in total).

Although the fox can't get to the food, it did try for a while. Now when foxes come in the garden they have a nose around, pee and or poo and leave so they don't meet a hedgehog that often.

Fox trying to get in the hedgehog feeder -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52PQbbkrm-I

Dave

Is the hedgehog food your neighbour puts out in the open? If so, then that could be at least part of the problem as the foxes will be attracted to the food and therefore encounter the hedgehogs more.

I used to put wet dog food out for the hedgehogs, but the local cat ate it. I then tried dry dog food. The cat left that alone, but the foxes ate it. The solution was to make a hedgehog feeding station with baffles so the fox can't get in and weigh it down with planters(at the moment I reckon it weighs about 9kg in total).

Although the fox can't get to the food, it did try for a while. Now when foxes come in the garden they have a nose around, pee and or poo and leave so they don't meet a hedgehog that often.

Fox trying to get in the hedgehog feeder -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52PQbbkrm-I

Dave

I have this image in my mind of a Fox walking back up the path with a Hedgehog box on its head. :LOL:

Yes it always has been, when I fed them I just had a dish.too.
She is going to look into getting a box for the food so only the hedgehogs can get
it as local cats do snack on it.

It's strange I have a lot on video with the foes and hedgehog close together with no interest in each other,
Last couple of days it seems the fox has no interest in the food, just taking the hedgehogs

Don't think I've put this up before, but this was the first time I thought there might be a problem,
as you can see the hedgehog isn't using it's back leg, which is typical fox damage

View: https://youtu.be/bsr1i-VUnrw

It looks as if the hedgehog has lost a foot, but it still seems to be getting about OK, though it might not survive another fox.

Dave

BTW What trail camera do you use? Its quality is far better than mine.

Yes it always has been, when I fed them I just had a dish.too.
She is going to look into getting a box for the food so only the hedgehogs can get
it as local cats do snack on it.

It's strange I have a lot on video with the foes and hedgehog close together with no interest in each other,
Last couple of days it seems the fox has no interest in the food, just taking the hedgehogs

Don't think I've put this up before, but this was the first time I thought there might be a problem,
as you can see the hedgehog isn't using it's back leg, which is typical fox damage

View: https://youtu.be/bsr1i-VUnrw
A problem may be that now it’s acquired a taste for hedgehog it may carry on and possibly teach it to its offspring etc :(.

Back