Fox Cubs

gpa

Edit My Images
Yes
I have spent most of my free time over the past few weeks trying to track down Mr Fox who I had seen a couple of times early in the morning but could never get close enough to get a picture worth taking. After a considerable amount of detective work I narrowed down the area to small Orchard that is out of bounds and fenced off. I managed to track down droppings which then led me to what looked like a walk way deep in the undergrowth near the rivers edge. It seemed to be coming from the otter Holt so I took my chances and camped the area for several days in the evenings. Finally i was rewarded with this shot of two of three cubs(y)

I managed to get about 15 shots and as you can see as soon as they worked out where the shutter noise was coming form they were off.

Anyway here are Rooksbury Mills new additions :smashin:
Click for large:smashin:
No 1

Oh my....they are just stunning! Both the subject and how you have captured them, love the eye contact :)

Love it, natural surroundings and as said good eye contact

I hate you..........I hate your photos

Grant, I had a family of cubs living under my garden shed for a while and I just could not get a decent photograph of them.

Well done on your patients and you have got one hell of a great image here.

But I still hate you LOL

Lovely shot, I saw a fox cub at around 4:45am in the lanes on the way to work the other morning, it was just sitting bolt upright in the road as I drove towards him, then when I got within twenty yards he just ran off into the foliage at the side of the road. Next morning down another lane, I saw the sad sight of a similar sized cub laying dead in the middle of the road. Poor thing had to be as big as our cat, so could not have been too old. :(

Thanks so much for your comments everyone I can assure you they are much apreciated. Having spent considerably more time since this was taken trying to get some clean shots.............. I am comming short LOL. I am up tom at 4.30 to be there for 5am so fingers crossed I will get another chance (y)

Well as you may have seen in an earlier post I have been fortunate to track down a family of Elusive Foxes hold up in one of the otter holts at Rooksbury. The last shots I got were through a load of reeds so while I was happy I knew with some extra effort i could get some better pictures. The upshot was that i waded across the river (yes I got very wet !) and carefully cut some of thew reeds away with scissors. I have spent mucho hours waiting for the buggers to come out but unfortunately the area has been busy and there has been no show.

I went down tonight at about 6.30ish and had a wonder round and it was very very quite, was the football on ? I noticed the reed moving around allot but it was so deep in that there was no chance of a pictures, so off I trott and try and come in behind them, sure enough the two cubs ( not three as I had originally thought) were rolling around playing. I got to within about 6 feet and bang they caught my scent or I made a sound not sure which and they were gone.

Feeling pretty ****** off at this point I walked back around the side of the lake and went back to my original point and after about 30mins I was greeted this one of 8 shots before they disappeared again !

Sadly I had to shoot at ISO 1800 I think, 400mm @ F4 and 180th hand held :eek: thank god for VR as the sun had gone down behind trees.

I hope you like them as much as I do.
Click on for Large

No 1

No 2

No 3

Lovely shots - well worth the time and effort. (y)

Cheers Guys I have put a fair bit of effort into getting these so your comments are appreciated.

Lovely sharp natural shots Grant, well done on the hours and patience you've put in to get them :)

Great captures, lovely light on the second set and shows the D3's quality.

so i came to check your threads out to see what you have been doing with the 200-400! fantastic focus, i know how tricky getting the focus spot on can be in those types of scenes with high contrast everywhere.

Thanks for the comments everyone(y)

Sarpkoss Most of what I have up on my website over the past year are using the 200-400. my link to the site is on my first post if you are interested (y)

Beautiful beautiful animals... your patience was well rewarded... such sharp photos, colour spot on... well done great set :)

Thanks Jenny, been out the last couple of night but the cubs have been playing in the undergrowth and just not accessible, did get this last nigh quite late though which as always with Water Voles was a bonus.

I think I hate you too!.
Many of us aspire to take shots like yours but few of us ever achieve the near impossible.
Truly awsome.

Thanks everyone for your comments, don't really know what more to say than I am so glad you like them.

Grant

.."Sadly I had to shoot at ISO 1800 I think, 400mm @ F4 and 180th hand held thank god for VR as the sun had gone down behind trees".....pity about the high ISO...really spoilt these shots.....N O T....Brilliant clarity on that last set the eye contact on #1 is amazing...I think i like these with the foxes 1/2 hidden than any with all the body showing...so natural.
10 out of 10 and 11 for the patience.
Keith (y)

p.s. met a chap the other day and he told me he throws some bread for a nosey Cub about 9 in the evening and was willing me to try some pics (honest)...so next night I waited and just as I messing with the spare camera mt eye was drawn and I dropped the battery ....He stopped 1/2 way out of a hedge and we just stared at each other for a split second and then he was off.....I can still see him in my minds eye ...but will wait for as few days to let him recover (and for a camo sheet to arrive) B4 going again.
Sorry for that long story.....;)

Back