Fox Photography!

Name
Will
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm determined to get a photo of a fox, i'm obsessed with them! :D
However, the only wildlife photography i've done, is birds landing on my garden's feeder... hah

There are loads of fox photos posted, all of which I'm insanely jealous about!

Our garden has frequent visits by foxes, but they don't hang about due to our dog.. but i'm local to a country park and woodland.

I'm very keen to snag a picture, and very patient - but are there any vital tips going when foxes are concerned? :help:

Get yourself a few chickens. The ruddy foxes will be queuing up!

There's a chicken coup in the local allotments, so that would explain the frequent fox visits.. :p

That may well be a way of getting a shot. Could you arrange permission to shoot there at night? Foxes are creatures of habit and will patrol the same routes at about the same times regularly.

That shouldn't be too much of a problem to sort out, although ideally - i'd like daylight... which when foxes are involved, mornings or late afternoons/early evenings.

As spring comes on, then you should have a chance during early morning light. It really depends on your foxes!
They cub in March and April generally and will be very active during darkness and first light, even later as the adults hunt long hours to feed the cubs.

Do your research in advance and try to observe thir movements before taking your camera.

Last edited:
Get a pheasant (roadkill) and tie it on a tree branch 10ft above ground and have a stake out................. 2-3 days should do. :)

Get a pheasant (roadkill) and tie it on a tree branch 10ft above ground and have a stake out................. 2-3 days should do. :)

That should ensure the OP secures easy access to the land!:(

You've lost me?

Well, suspending dead birds where they can be easily found (near allotments in this case) is likely to cause a hysterical reaction by folk so inclined. Its been many years since I saw a gamekeeper's gibbet for the same reason.

There is no mention of allotments in the OP's first post.............or mine :)

That's only because some silly bugger suggested he gets some chickens in his garden! :LOL:

Really? Who was that then?

:D:help:

Stringing up bird corpses would certainly attract attention, and not just by foxes haha.

Hello Will, I live in Beckenham too (Elmers End) and they tend to frequent round the train line (Hayes line). Let me know when you fancy shooting them and I'll tag along (if that's ok). I live next to an allotment (next to the railway line) that the foxes visit almost every day, I may be able to get permission the access it and its well lit for an allotment.

Last edited:
As your garden has frequent visits from foxes that seems a good place to start.

Any chance of keeping your dog out of sight around the times the foxes visit?

I've found peanuts to be a good and cheap food that is useful. Foxes will eat them readily but they are too small for it to be worth the foxes carrying them off, so they stay and eat.

Foxes in your garden may also be more tolerant of humans; the ones in our garden certainly are.

Dave

Scott - Hmm, that sounds very much like the allotment at the back of my drive...it's certainly quite a large area. It's also got a small river running through it? River Beck, I think it's called... Ah cool, I'm on a Abbots Way just off Upper Elmers End road....It's a small world haha.

Yeah, for sure - if you don't mind a film user.. :p

Dave - Cheers, I'll set up and give that one a shot, when the dog's out the way for a bit.

Hrímfaxi said:
Scott - Hmm, that sounds very much like the allotment at the back of my drive...it's certainly quite a large area. It's also got a small river running through it? River Beck, I think it's called... Ah cool, I'm on a Abbots Way just off Upper Elmers End road....It's a small world haha.

Yeah, for sure - if you don't mind a film user.. :p

Dave - Cheers, I'll set up and give that one a shot, when the dog's out the way for a bit.

LMAO Yes, I'm the other side of the tracks just next to the school. I don't mind what you shoot with.

Drop me a PM.

Used to have a lovely place in Gosport where I used to take the kids and watch foxes. Used to be about 40 at one time and never ran away, but they built a housing estate over the land and ruined it, shame really, lovely animals to watch.

Back