Foxy In My Garden...grown up now.

Forbiddenbiker

The Enforcer
Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
I'd not seen my three garden fox cubs for months now, from weeks of daily visits to nothing ...I feared the worst, and had that in some way confirmed recently when I came across one of their little bodies rotting at the back of my garden.
Yesterday however this fellow turned up. ...She (I’ve chosen) had a poorly fore leg, railing it often although she did put her weight on it do dig at my lawn a little, so I’m guessing its just a sprain.

Got within ten feet eventually, it was as if she couldn't be bothered to take any action...maybe in pain or just exhausted or something ...she yawned all the time, lol.

These are the pretty ones I think, I may find another. C&C welcome. (y)

Fox093.jpg

Fox091.jpg

Fox094.jpg

They are great shots.

totally stunning. what lens, exif etc?

Brilliant shots............I only ever see the bushy tail dissapearing out of site !!
I know they visit my garden from "droppings" but have never seen them...on the other hand i see about 1/2 a dozen cats who like to use my garden as a place to relax/sleep and god knows what in...no wonder I see no birds.

Wish they were Foxes.
keith (y)

Blimey this forum is busy! ...Most uplifting comments guys thanks. :)

I think fortune fell my way yesterday evening with her mood (not scared), ..I spent about two hours moving towards her, she got up a couple of times and nearly left, only to return if I stayed calm and submissive.. I'm so pleased to get up close at last, its taken a few years...

Exposure was between 200th (shots below, early shots) and 60th (the top ish shots, close shots) all these at F2.8 with iso800. My cameras very bad for noise at high iso, but I found if I don't fiddle much processing wise its acceptable. Shot with the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR most at the far end. A most superb lens it is. (y)

Fox096.jpg

Fox095.jpg

Edit: More like 400iso with these last pair as it goes ..these are the first shots when it was brighter, Unfortunately my view is always south against the sun in a heavily shaded garden, so exposure is always a compromise

Last edited:
Brilliant shots............I only ever see the bushy tail dissapearing out of site !!
I know they visit my garden from "droppings" but have never seen them...on the other hand i see about 1/2 a dozen cats who like to use my garden as a place to relax/sleep and god knows what in...no wonder I see no birds.

Wish they were Foxes.
keith (y)

Lol, I know that shot, the bushy tail disappearing into the hedge, Ive got loads of those. They say you should spread dog food around your garden if you want to attract foxes ...not tried that myself, my gardens all high hedges, more of a open glade type feel. With all the concrete gardens around here its one of the only places nearby for a quite secluded rest out of view and nice and safe ...apart form that weird one eyed man that is.

Cracking set Adam, if only I could see these more often in North London.

She is a real cutie and your gorgeous shots prove it. you clearly have the patience of a saint (y)

Nice shots Adam. You can see she's still a relative youngster.

GORGEOUS! What a beautiful animal and you've captured her beautifully especially love no.2. Well done. I would be beaming if I got these! xx

:D That’s me beaming. Yeah very pleased with myself it has to be said, also just pleased to see one of them after such a long time. Bloody pain in the arse to many, and I'm totally for culling a few humanely, but they are still very photogenic aren't they, lol.

Cheers everyone. thirds my fave I think.

Nice shots Adam. You can see she's still a relative youngster.

Yeah, got that clean fresh look hasn't she. Do families stay together? I'm hoping her brother might come back too, whether I can tell the difference is another thing.

All lovely shots... my favourite is Number 2... beautiful.. (y)

Cheers all, glad you like them.

superb shots, well done - just incase you didn't notice, the sharp line halfway between the left of the foxes head and the image edge in the green, (dodgy bit of cloning?) :)

keep it up

drew

Ah yeah, well spotted, rushed those ones, that darned lone weed again. ... I've done a much better job of it in the second shot. :D ..ta. ...off to sort than now. :puke:

:D

Yeah, got that clean fresh look hasn't she. Do families stay together? I'm hoping her brother might come back too, whether I can tell the difference is another thing.
Families do tend to stay together Adam - the parents are very devoted to their young. They're not particularly territorial, and you'll even get more than one family sharing an earth. It's quite common for foxes to adopt and rear orphaned young.

As for sexing them, unless you can get close enough to see the bits that matter, it can be difficult. Generally speaking - the males tend to have a heavier build than the female which is probably your best indication, but of course you need to see them side by side really for comparison. The male tends to have a broader head and longer snout giving more of the tyoical Reynard appearance than the female if that makes sense?

Fantastic captures, you must obviously be very pleased that the time you put in getting close up is rewarded in this way.

Stunning shots, #2 and #3 are almost as though you were able to get her to pose!!

Thanks for all the comments guys :):) ...glad your liking them so much.

Families do tend to stay together Adam - the parents are very devoted to their young. They're not particularly territorial, and you'll even get more than one family sharing an earth. It's quite common for foxes to adopt and rear orphaned young.

As for sexing them, unless you can get close enough to see the bits that matter, it can be difficult. Generally speaking - the males tend to have a heavier build than the female which is probably your best indication, but of course you need to see them side by side really for comparison. The male tends to have a broader head and longer snout giving more of the tyoical Reynard appearance than the female if that makes sense?

Yeah, that does make sense, I look out for that wider head and other details, think I've noticed that last time when looking trough the shots I took in may, not sure obvioulsy.
Probably the reason I think this one is female, she is slim across the head I'm guestimating.

Cheers for that info Cedric, good chance then, fingers crossed ...I figure they might have just gone for a territory wander during the summer, :shrug: ...perhaps now its autumn there back to make their place again.

Ta mate.(y)

My gut feeling is this one is probably female - they just look cuter. :D

Fox094.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Fox095.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous :love:

A cracking set with the two above my fav's (y)

Del.

aww...I want a fox in my garden.....very cute :-D

Although not sure my rabbits would be too happy.

Great shots. Well done

Nice set Adam
the last one in post #8 really stands out for me (y)

Back