Foxy went a-huntin'

Great catch Russ :LOL: ... no not you, the Fox!!!!
Would love to see mine a little more during the day.

Great catch Russ :LOL: ... no not you, the Fox!!!!
- and I thought you meant both of us:p
- shame you can't see yours more in the daytime Roger, but at least you're getting some great night time close-up video in you garden :)
- unfortunately the farmer's just sprayed the paddock grass so I'm not sure what effect that will have on the wildlife there!

Russ

unfortunately the farmer's just sprayed the paddock grass so I'm not sure what effect that will have on the wildlife there!

Russ

Spraying is seldom good, any idea what it was (insecticide or some sort of nitrogen product)?

Spraying is seldom good, any idea what it was (insecticide or some sort of nitrogen product)?
- last time they sprayed, it was to kill the ragwort to safeguard the horses in the paddock - unfortunately it was windy on the day and the over-spay damaged the new growth on my laurel hedge. This time I'm not sure, but it had a smell reminiscent of creosote strangely.
- the paddock belongs to the YWP and they try to keep us informed of activities in their properties - last time they suggested we cover the hedge with old sheets when they spay, can you believe!! I can feel another email coming on.

Russ

We got a pretty bad case of over spray a goodly few years back Russ farmer backed right up to my boundary yards from all my raised beds and clobbered everything. Me being largely organic it was terrible. I didn't realise they were liable to compensate,ha my neighbours did. I had no choice but to claim they put us back years killed all our food. So maybe a kindly word/email to the neighbour that they best be covering your hedge or you'll have to claim for damage off their insurance next time .

Jeepers why not pull the ragwort , it's a way better option unless it's completely taken over,too much like hard work probably:banghead: Sorry mate I find these things frustrating ;)

Anway nice to see the fox avec bunny better than peanuts huh:LOL:

We got a pretty bad case of over spray a goodly few years back Russ farmer backed right up to my boundary yards from all my raised beds and clobbered everything. Me being largely organic it was terrible. I didn't realise they were liable to compensate,ha my neighbours did. I had no choice but to claim they put us back years killed all our food. So maybe a kindly word/email to the neighbour that they best be covering your hedge or you'll have to claim for damage off their insurance next time. Jeepers why not pull the ragwort , it's a way better option unless it's completely taken over,too much like hard work probably:banghead: Sorry mate I find these things frustrating ;) Anway nice to see the fox avec bunny better than peanuts huh:LOL:
- Cheers Stu :)
- I've just had a visit from the Head Groundsman at Yorkshire Wildlife Park (YWP)which owns the paddock behind my house and he has promised to email me prior to spraying; to not spray if its windy; to keep further away from our hedge and to hand pick ragwort adjacent to our hedge! Seems like a result. After all YWP needs to keep it's neighbours happy otherwise we could raise all sorts of objections to their noise and groundworks as they extend the Park to add further animal attractions. Live and let live!

Russ

You've got to wonder what kind of wildlife park it is if they resort to spraying everything to control one species....
- Good point Jerry, especially as YWP prides itself on it's conservation activities. I think another word, this time with their Ops Director, is in in the offing! :)

Russ

Very tidy shot Russ - nice to see them in daylight :)

Les

You've got to wonder what kind of wildlife park it is if they resort to spraying everything to control one species....

And as for your experience Stu, the mind boggles at the idiocy of your farming neighbour.

and some:banghead:.......to back up he had to stare at my raised beds full of my food It wasn't an oversight. He wanted to tidy up a patch of nettles Jerry. just over the fence. A completely horrible experience, he sort of destroyed 20 years of work here. I know it isn't much and is humble but the way I garden means a myriad of life lives beside me. I personally don't like all these sprays. you just garden with mum nature not fight her. He clattered it:mad: whole of my little mini ecosystem wrecked, it's taken years to come back. The apples are probably just recovered now maybe it's 8- 10 years back. The rosacea family took an absolute hiding

Jerry I don't really go around suing folks I'd rather we sat down had a chat and sort,the problem out. Very much a live and let live guy like Russ stated above But it went via this insurance because my neighbour had a show garden. I was astounded by what they had to pay me Their claim was bewildering,mind the consequences. As the years have rolled by I suppose I now know why it was what it was.

I simply had no idea I had that resourse to claim against them in that way Jerry so mentioned it in case Russ wasn't aware either. He's probably way more worldly wise than me mate probably you all are :LOL: But being sprayed by neighbrours is a bit left of the norm so maybe worthy of mention.

take care

stu

My heart goes out to you, Stu, about your garden. But it looks like it was a few years ago so hopefully you've got over it by now. I can't say i blame you at all for going through insurance. We have had terrible problems with our neighbours. The first thing was spraying pesticide over the garden fence to kill some brambles in ours (we're organic too) and I wish we'd put a stop to it at that moment, because it went on to worse things. I ended up calling the police and although there was nothing legally that could be done, they do know now that they can't do anything they want without ramifications. I never thought about insurance!

Thanks for the kind words Jerry ,we are OK now but at the time not so much.!! Sorry a bit breif I don't want to take Russ's thread to far off topic..

Sorry about the neighours, it seems so lame to say but why can't folks be nice,just a little care and thought goes so far in life.;)

Very good shot,Russ. Sad but very good :)

I recall a girl, years ago, becoming very ill because of the farmer spraying the fields next to her home in Chichester and she started a campaign.I think one result was that there has to be a couple of metres no-spray gap from the boundary. Doesn't the wind carry it ??? I've just Googled her. Georgina Downs. Back to 1983 onwards.

Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgina_Downs#Early_life

About her campaign https://theecologist.org/profile/georgina-downs

To 'alert' you both...Stu and Jerry.
i hope you have enough clout to persuade him/her to make changes.

Thanks for the kind words Jerry ,we are OK now but at the time not so much.!! Sorry a bit breif I don't want to take Russ's thread to far off topic..

Very good shot,Russ. Sad but very good :) I recall a girl, years ago, becoming very ill because of the farmer spraying the fields next to her home in Chichester and she started a campaign.I think one result was that there has to be a couple of metres no-spray gap from the boundary. Doesn't the wind carry it ??? I've just Googled her. Georgina Downs.
- many thanks John, and thanks for the info too! :)
- certainly a 2m spray gap would not have helped in my case as there was a strong/blustery wind at the time. I'm hopeful that they will abide by there stated guidelines next time, but in the meantime I will be contacting the Ops Director at YWP to emphasise my concern!

Russ

Back