fp4 Pushed to 400asa

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
first off, this is my first post, so hello everyone!

I've recently shot a roll of FP4 at 400asa thinking that I could find the dev times somewhere on the interweb, but I was wrong.

Does anyone know how long I should develop for? I only have ID-11 at home & would prefer not buying more just for one roll.

Cheers,
Joe

The general advice is to add 20-30% to the development time per stop. FP4 is what, 125, so you shot it just under 2 stops difference?

The massive dev chart's difference between developing for 125 and 200 is 17.6% addition to development time at stock dilution, and 36% at 1+1. What is your usual dilution? (I know you shot it at 400, but it would likely just be a case of extrapolation)

Yeah, I'm thinking of developing at dev time + 40 - 50%, but there are some shots on there I really don't want to lose, so I'd prefer to be sure of what I'm doing. Maybe I should do a test roll or 2?
My usual dilution is either stock or 1+1

if it's really important stuff on the roll - shoot another roll at 400 and use it as a clip test roll - snip 6 inches of film off the reel and develop it for 22 minutes in ID-11 1+1, and adjust the time up or down according to your result. Film stock's cheap - re-shooting is somewhere between expensive and prohibitive/impossible.

Ok so I've done my test roll. 13mins in ID-11 at 20 degrees & it came out perfectly. My dev is quite old though, so with new stuff it's probably 10-11 mins.
I'll post the actual roll when I do it.

I seem to remember that too much of an increase in contrast was the limiting factor, closely followed by a build up of big grain clumping. Do you scan or traditional print to paper? Probably more chance to counteract the extra contrast in photo-cheat than a change of paper grade.

The reason I decided to try this was actually for the increased contrast. I'm not too bothered about a bit of extra grain, so I'll print a few of the best ones & maybe scan the rest.

i had a look in the darkroom handbook - absolute godsend of a book and it reccomends increasing the dev time by 75% with something like ID-11

Back