Framing and Aperture Layouts

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure if this is best posted in here or in business...

Im trying to push frames but I am struggling with the frame layouts, sizes and combination of photographs.

How do you work it? How do you show clients framing layouts before they order and how to you go about advising them what will work and what won't?

Do you have 3 or 4 standard layouts for each size of frame you offer or do you let the client pick the photographs they like them make them fit in a frame size of their budget?

Im thinking I should be trying to make up 3 or 4 layouts for each frame size and trying to advise clients which picture would work with which frames?

Not sure if this is best posted in here or in business...

Im trying to push frames but I am struggling with the frame layouts, sizes and combination of photographs.

How do you work it? How do you show clients framing layouts before they order and how to you go about advising them what will work and what won't?

Do you have 3 or 4 standard layouts for each size of frame you offer or do you let the client pick the photographs they like them make them fit in a frame size of their budget?

Im thinking I should be trying to make up 3 or 4 layouts for each frame size and trying to advise clients which picture would work with which frames?
Matt
I registered with Ultimat - their frames are superb! they also have a small display book that shows a few styles.

You could just use a digital layout and use Photoshop?

Yes if you have a digital image of the frame you can use the one they like. Create some clipping masks and you can drop your image right into the chosen apertures on the screen.

I recently started offering mounted multi-aperature frames and montages (all photographs on a single sheet of paper).

My current process is:
- client chooses their photos
- depending on their requirements I email back one or two options, with jpeg proofs
- They come back with any changes & then I go do it!

I do have a few templates in photoshop - I'm building a library of them the more I do.

I've started designing them differently which is making it quicker, I got a A0 piece of graph paper laminated (from http://www.olicanauk.co.uk) and then use non-permanent markers to look at how sizes would work together. Works really well for 4+ photos.

Yeah, this is what ive done up until this point, designed the layout then took it back to the client. All my shoots are geared up for orders to be taken on the day so designing a layout needs to be quick and efficient.

I think I need to put the time in now and design them just to pop the chosen photographs into.

Wall stud investment must be taken into account. They can not be placed anywhere. Understand the importance of this investment is necessary to know the materials, which are applicable to the preparation.

Last edited:
mikehykes said:
Wall stud investment must be taken into account. They can not be placed anywhere. Understand the importance of this investment is necessary to know the materials, which are applicable to the preparation.

.???

It seems like that you have problem with the framing and layouts that how to show against clients but sorry to say that I don't know anything about that. I will try to find out the solution of it.

Bare in mind the client choosing a frame and mount that doesn't 'go' with the image. Plus the time they spend choosing which takes up your valuable time when you could be seeing more customers.

Have you thought about offering a final product. A small selection of Frame and Mount combinations?

Show them the frame style with the image. It's your image and you want it to be displayed as you would want to. As a creative you know what will suit your images and the client sighs with relief they haven't got the dilemma of choosing. It makes it easier for you, less time consuming and the client is happy.

I have put together photoshop files - for example "P L P L 9x6 9x6 9x6 9x6.psd" is a frame with four cut outs, two portrait two landscape all at 9x6. I can then export images from lightroom at the size in question and then just drag them around behind the mat. I then save the file in the clients 'viewing' directory and it gets shown to them along with all the other shots.

Frame selections are limited, but I have all the frame samples in the studio.

Back