Framing my photos

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, so I’ve decided that it’s frankly a crime that I have none of my own photos framed on the walls of my house...
I have bought a couple of nice wooden frames to start me off 20x16” and I’m now trawling through my photos to choose some good ones to put in them.
This is all new to me, framing photos I mean, so my first question is...
When you frame your photos for your home, do you have a white border around your photo to separate it from the frame?
My printer that I use doesn’t offer a border on prints of that size, so if I was to decide to do that how would I go about getting a border to put in my frame?
Thanks.

Though you are not talking about selling.....you might find this thread useful? Do start at the top of the thread ;)

Do you want a border on the actual print (in which case just shrink the image to allow one) or do you mean the card surrounding the print? Making those is quite skilled, suggest you take print and frame to a local framing shop and ask them to mount it for you. Should only cost £10 to £15.....

If you're going big, I would suggest thinking about cutting your own mount. It has the advantage of allowing you to fit any dimensioned print into the frame (rather than forcing you to 5:4) A nice 1" border in a colour of your choice (although white is good) can really set a good image off.

You can get a framing shop to do it for you, or DIY (which is very satisfying and quite easy if you have the tools). I did a tutorial here.

Last edited:
If its a one off rather than cutting your own, I used these people for a handful of custom mount sizes, good service and no problems with the final products and it was very securely packagede

I have used this supplier a few times (as mentioned in other posts) and the mount cutting has been pristine, compared to some other sources where 'overcuts' & 'corner tags' needed attention, plus the packaging was also very good.

The one time I had a water damaged exterior........but as I recall the interior wrapping meant the mounts were completely dry.

Last edited:
Not sure whether you are using your own printer or not. Anyways, I always think they look nicer with a mount. If your frame is 16 x 20 in and if you wish an inch all around, you will need a print of 14 x18 inches in which case I think that would be a custom cut job or use an A3 print with a standard mount (cheaper option). As this is your first 'hanging' I would suggest just buying some mounts precut. It's only worthwhile cutting your own mounts if you will be doing a lot of mounting. And it is very important when choosing/cropping/resizing images that there is 'space' within the outer edge of the image of 5mm or more ie. remember the outer edge of the image will be under the mount.

Thank you for all the great advice and information [emoji2]
The actual frames I already have which are 20x16 inch.
I don’t print my own photos I use an online printing service.
I do use Lightroom 6 and the original idea I had in my mind was that I would be able to buy a border insert for the frame, but that’s interesting what you say about adding a border in lightroom, can I export the photo with a border added to it?
Thanks again for all the help, it’s given me some ideas to be going on with [emoji1303]

Thank you for all the great advice and information [emoji2]
The actual frames I already have which are 20x16 inch.
I don’t print my own photos I use an online printing service.
I do use Lightroom 6 and the original idea I had in my mind was that I would be able to buy a border insert for the frame, but that’s interesting what you say about adding a border in lightroom, can I export the photo with a border added to it?
Thanks again for all the help, it’s given me some ideas to be going on with [emoji1303]

FWIW I have used Tradecanvasprint @Tradecanvasprint Ben is a member here to print for me and part of the order allows for having a 13mm (as I recall?) border around the prints, they do not shrink the print............................if you order a 20 x 16 print that is what you get but with the 13mm white border around it. That border is invaluable for when mounting the prints ;) And no need to expand the 'image canvas' in PP to make the white border :)

Last edited:
I have a few 20"x16" frames and I buy pre-cut mounts to fit. https://www.cotswoldmounts.co.uk/pr...e-single-mounts/cream-core-single-mount-20x16 For 2:3 aspect ratio I get the 10"x15" image size cut-out.

In Lightroom I use the print module to set up an A3 page to print a 10"x15" image. If you are using an online print service use the Print to File option to produce a jpeg which will have the white border seen in Lightroom and will print like that when uploaded to your print service.

Card mounts are worth having as they stop the prints sticking to the glass if they are put in frames without a mount to act as a spacer.

I have decided to order some pre cut mounts using one of the suppliers mentioned above, thanks everyone for all the help and advice, much appreciated :)

I do my own framing and mounting.The Range is excellent for card,tools and frames.

Back