Fraudulent eBay Auction For Leica M9-P

small world that account was used to try and buy a high value metal detector off me a couple of weeks ago ,i got suspicious when i invoiced it and found it was a account held in the u.k ( house next to a row of empty lock ups in east london) it was actually a bulgarian based buyer though ,and the given phone number was a re-directed number that went to the u.s.a .i canceled the sale but it seems e/bay is still letting them trade

small world that account was used to try and buy a high value metal detector off me a couple of weeks ago ,i got suspicious when i invoiced it and found it was a account held in the u.k ( house next to a row of empty lock ups in east london) it was actually a bulgarian based buyer though ,and the given phone number was a re-directed number that went to the u.s.a .i canceled the sale but it seems e/bay is still letting them trade

Interesting. Did you report it?

yep ,though trying to explain the intricacies of it to a desk operator in india is like peeing against the wind .:police::police::police:

Last edited:
It`s been removed now, hopefully that account will be sorted now

How did you know it was a hacked account?

Couple of things I always look for. If you have an account with a high feedback rating (think 400+), 100% rating: those are the accounts the hackers are after. I always check to see what they've been selling lately. If an account has been out of action for a year or more and then suddenly it's got an item listed out of the blue, especially one that's quite sought after, high priced or easy to sell on (camera equipment and computer stuff, watches, the usual suspects) that immediately puts me on high alert. That's already enough info to be fairly sure it's a hacked account.

From there, if I want to be sure I'll search all or part of the title in Google images. More often than not I'll find the same image the hacker is using. They now try to be smart and not use stock images so they'll search completed listings or Google images and choose one which looks a little less obvious. Always a good, clear image but obviously one taken by a seller.

In the listing above, however, the hacker made it abundantly clear that he didn't own the account. He tried to hide this from eBay by not posting this in the lasting description itself but if you look at the 2nd image in the listing he's begging everyone to contact him directly at a private email address, rather than messaging him through the system. He knows that if a message comes through the system the likelihood is that the owner of the account will be alerted. If you contact him via private email he'll probably try to flog it to you at a knock down price and as soon as you've paid for it he'll never be heard from again.

There's probably some other indications in the listing, too but the first couple were plenty for me.

Seems as though its been removed now.

LOL. It's a common disease so grace was duly and liberally applied. :ROFLMAO:
:LOL:
Normally I do, ... but I have an excuse .... Man flu has me by the throat :(

:LOL:
Normally I do, ... but I have an excuse .... Man flu has me by the throat :(

as long as it doesn't attack any lower, you'll be fine ;):p

In the listing above, however, the hacker made it abundantly clear that he didn't own the account. He tried to hide this from eBay by not posting this in the lasting description itself but if you look at the 2nd image in the listing he's begging everyone to contact him directly at a private email address, rather than messaging him through the system. He knows that if a message comes through the system the likelihood is that the owner of the account will be alerted. If you contact him via private email he'll probably try to flog it to you at a knock down price and as soon as you've paid for it he'll never be heard from again.
Reporting a listing for this will get a faster review of the listing and take-down than a suspected fraud report - it's easier to verify and less likely to be a malicious report.

Back