Free BOWENS Gear

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a phone call from a Bloke who said he was going to the Dump with some Flash gear but if i got there first i could have it -- so i rushed out to Doddinghurst and he loaded a huge heavy case into my motor containing 4 Bowens Studio Flash heads 1980's era, Stands, umbrellas, slave cells, mains leads, spare modelling light bulbs and what he said was a 'Blackout Cloth' but turned out to be the best quality 'Changing Bag' !! Two of the heads will charge up but will not flash -- maybe the 'trip circuit?' but I used one 200w and a 400w Monolite which work. There were no Camera Synch leads but i have one for my original Bowens.
BOWENS has now gone broke so no more repairs.
P7173901.JPG P7173903.JPG

Last edited:
Honestly, unless you have an interest in preserving outdated gear, I'd consign the heads to the local recycling centre (or put them on eBay for parts) as I'd expect the cost of repair to far outweigh the value of the units, or indeed the cost of something newer! Also although I'm no Bowens expert, I feel they are pre 80's and the models numbers used didn't actually reflect the WS output with the 200's actually being 125ws and 400's being 250ws. from memory. Oh and some Bowens lights from this era actually had mains trigger voltages, so be very cautions using a sync lead!

Last edited:
These heads were built like tanks for their day still plenty of life in them yet if you are using them for your hobby as along as you can keep them serviced regularly..didn't realise those repair places were still on the go I used to use the one in dorking many moons ago..the problem you have with the heads that wont charge or flash is the capacitors are gone.. used to be about a £30 repair and is usually the only thing that ever goes wrong with them..you will probably still be able to get capacitors for these or newly uprated ones..don't try and repair them your self though you need someone who knows what they are doing..they can give you a nasty shock..:D I speak from experience after curiously opening up a head when I was a lad to see what was inside them..:eek: regarding the high voltage trigger on them if you get one of the kenro triggers they wil work fine with your camera or there are other ones on the market that will trigger them as well as it looks like you have all the slave cells there so you only need the trigger and cable set that kenro do..to save blowing the electronics on your hot shoe..

Last edited:
Honestly, unless you have an interest in preserving outdated gear, I'd consign the heads to the local recycling centre (or put them on eBay for parts) as I'd expect the cost of repair to far outweigh the value of the units, or indeed the cost of something newer!

Pretty much, might be worth keeping the flash tubes (assuming they're still working) but beyond that it's not really worth any investment especially as it's L fit.

Weren't the flash tubes on these solder in, non-user replaceable?

Well they say non-user replaceable but they really mean is don't muck about if you don't know how to avoid electrocution.

I can't think of any tubes that were soldered in permanently as it's a nuisance even for a shop and I'm far from certain as I've never actually had one of these monoblocks but I think the tube is part of the small reflector assembly, so you remove the whole thing between heads.

Edit, here we go:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372350927605

Last edited:
Back