Free culling tool for Lightroom

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Normally I use Photo Mechanic to browse through pictures, cull them and select favourites before importing the survivors to Lightroom.

That's pretty fast (and save LR a lot of work) but it's quite pricey. So I was really interested in this which popped up on FB today

https://fstoppers.com/apps/fastest-...w-photos-now-100-free-fstoppers-readers-69246

It's a new app that lets you browse raw files really fast, select and star them and then send your selects into Lightroom. Also, LR honours the star ratings and colour tags. I've had a very quick play and it seems to work well.

Free if you follow the FStoppers link.

Oh, in further testing, it's pretty easy to make it crash :(

But, you know, free.....

Not these days, but you would also want it to integrate with C1 not LR.

I could use something like this - if it works.
I lost 1500 shots from the Superbikes at the weekend due to a hiccough in Faststone Viewer so I'm not a happy chappy!

I could use something like this - if it works.
I lost 1500 shots from the Superbikes at the weekend due to a hiccough in Faststone Viewer so I'm not a happy chappy!

It works fairly nicely. 3 issues so far

1. If you try to do a lot of stuff while it is doing the first render of files then it can hang for quite a while.
2. It takes quite a long time to render 100MB tiffs. It's not really designed for that but there seems no way to filter a folder by file type.
3. It starts at the top of the folder and renders one picture after another until it gets to the bottom.

So.....if you throw it a folder with a lot of high res files and several tiffs and start punching buttons like a press snapper on Red Bull then it's going to hang. And it will probably hang when you have something urgent to do.

Pretty good for free - but there's a reason pros buy Photo Mechanic.

Been looking for an alternative to bridge for file sorting, will give this a shot on my next batch :)

Thank you. Appreciated. Worth a punt anytime if you don't own anything like this (I don't) so I'll be giving it a blast after I get home today.

I just use Windows Photoviewer for an initial cull, free, quite quick with Raw, gets the job done.

Back