Free photo management software for Windows 10

kennysarmy

Yeah but can your army do this?
Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
I'm asking this on behalf of a friend who has just returned from a safari with over 2000 photographs which he'd like to somehow categorize.

He obviously has lots of similar images, but does not want to delete any!

His aim (I think) is that if someone pops round and he wants to show them some images he can select to show them, say, just his best 5 elephant photographs, or the top 20 images from a particular day or the best 40 shots from his whole trip, etc etc.

Is there anything that can do this? Obviously it's going to be him adding the tags to identify each category, unless there is something clever that can identify landscapes from portraits of people as well as do the basic stuff like know which time/date particular photographs were taken on.

I've got Photoshop CS6 and I reckon I could do something on Bridge by using the rating and label options - but as for what could do this that's free I really don't know...

Any help appreciated.

Jeff

my brother uses faststone, he used to use that before he got acquainted with photoshop and still swears by the photoviewer for viewing jpegs etc as its quick and gives a fairly accurate representation of the image (the old picture viewer always looked faded to me)

Can't you just use Lightroom? The Library module works without a licence I believe.

If he's on Windows then DigiKam is good (and is also a great image editor, albeit destructive).
Digikam is excellent. If you are processing Raw files, it is non-destructive.

Google's Picasa is still available, and can be useful as a quick photo organiser.

+1

Also is very fast, automatically sorts everything by date, has face recognition, virtual albums, automatic sync/backup to Google Photos etc.

I still use it to view/organise jpegs. Lightroom is simply too heavy and slow for this

Last edited:
Back