Freecycle win

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Picked up a collection of older SLRs.

Might give me the push to start again :)

Working through them to see what is there.

So far a Minolta SR-TR101 almost mint in a leather case with a 55mm F1.7 lens and a 100 F3.5. (battery dead but I guess a repalcement is out there)

A mint Olympus OM2n (almost certinaly keep this) as I have a lens for it already. nice an compact.

Dacora Digna - case a little worst for wear - is this medium format? can't figure out how it works let alone how you would wind the film on ?? hinge dodgy. eek the lens poped out !! I gues this one might be a step to far for now (where can you buy the film and get it processed?)

Mamiya/O??? somthing or other but one of the lens has defiinately suffered from the dreaded mould.

Sunpack flash almost looks unused in its box and some odd filters.

An odd minolta APS SLR ?? almost a film version of the Sony NX, Pen etc... battery cover broken so now absolutely useless.

All for nothing :) :D :) :D :) :D (y)

(added to the two lipstick video cameras which although are circa 1990's and one was orignally for sale at £2.5k are not that special anymore and I haven't got all the bits too make them work either :( )

Dacora Digna - case a little worst for wear - is this medium format? can't figure out how it works let alone how you would wind the film on ?? hinge dodgy. eek the lens poped out !! I gues this one might be a step to far for now (where can you buy the film and get it processed?)

Dacora Digna is a 120 Roll film camera. You don't rewind the film, just wind it onto another spool and move the empty one over to recieve the next film. Processing by a number of places, but i've used peak imaging with good results.

Dacora Digna is a 120 Roll film camera. You don't rewind the film, just wind it onto another spool and move the empty one over to recieve the next film. Processing by a number of places, but i've used peak imaging with good results.

Are there any "manuals" webistes on how to use it ? i'm guessing it is pretty basic.

why does the lens on the front rotate is that focus and how would you know it was in focus anyway? then are two levers ?

Are there any "manuals" webistes on how to use it ? i'm guessing it is pretty basic.

why does the lens on the front rotate is that focus and how would you know it was in focus anyway? then are two levers ?

There's a manual here - camera looks pretty simple to operate, the manual's 10 pages long and in german but I got the gist of it :)

I'm guessing that the camera is scale focusing - you guess how far you are from the bit you want in focus, then set that as the focusing length, and press the shutter. Not the best thing in the world for wide aperture narrow DOF shots, but these cameras were pretty much the happy-snapper type cameras of their day. More for getting a picture of Auntie Rose and the kids on the Beach at Scarborough than anything else.

The cameras came with different lenses. If yours is the same as the one in the manual, then referring to the image on page 2, the dot on the top of the lens marked 3 is the focusing reference, the focus ring is 4. Put the picture of a face to the dot for closeups (1.5-3m), as it's set in the picture for group shots (3 to 8m) and the trees at 3 o'clock for landscape work(8m+).

120 film is quite easy to find in most towns. Almost every camera/photo shop I know localy stocks at least the odd roll of Fuji Pro.

Loading is pretty straightforward, if you Google "loading your Holga" you'll get several YouTube videos that show (near-enough) the simple process.

As long as you make it clear to them that it's C41 colour negative (and you stick to this type of film, such as Fuji Pro) then I'm finding more and more places to get film developed. My local Jessops does, but one girl behind the counter looked at the roll and said, "We'll have to send it away", until the other pointed out it was C41 (not slide) and so their standard developing machine could process it no bother. Process only mind, you have to scan it yourself.

There is a copy of the manual available here. However it is in German.. but it does have pictures. Babelfish (or Google Translate) are your friends.

Settings look pretty straightforward.. three apertures set by the rear-most lens-dial (sunny, light cloud, cloudy), a fixed shutter speed and you have to guess the focus and set using the front lens dial to portrait (1.5-3 metres), group (3-8 metres) or landscape (8+ metres). This type of focus is typical of consumer cameras of this vintage and works well enough.

However.. the settings are based on slow film speeds (17/10 DIN, 40ASA) Worth running a cheap roll of ISO100 through it to see what results you get.

It might need some TLC, but this type of camera is a fun way of getting big negatives. And definitely more stylish than a Holga. If you decide you don't want it.. .. .

Back