Freedom Monument, Riga

Name
Bob Sinclair
Edit My Images
Yes
Great photo with two points from me. Is the statue truly vertical? Can you crop it so the statue is slightly more off centre? I think the blue effect is great as is the detail. Welcome.

Oooh, shall I be first? (Edit: not quite)

There's vignetting (dark corners and sides) which you would aim to avoid with better equipment, or correct in post processing . . . or even add for effect. I don't mind it here.

There's a lean to the right.

I would prefer to see all the plinth and some of the ground, or a bird, so I could get a sense of scale.

The oversaturated sky works well with the subject.

I hope I meet Matt's crit guidelines - please be gentle if I don't!

Great photo with two points from me. Is the statue truly vertical? Can you crop it so the statue is slightly more off centre? I think the blue effect is great as is the detail. Welcome.

Thanks for this Russell. Do you mean I should deliberately crop to put the statue at an angle or to one side of the frame? I'm not sure I follow what you mean.

Oooh, shall I be first? (Edit: not quite)

There's vignetting (dark corners and sides) which you would aim to avoid with better equipment, or correct in post processing . . . or even add for effect. I don't mind it here.

There's a lean to the right.

I would prefer to see all the plinth and some of the ground, or a bird, so I could get a sense of scale.

The oversaturated sky works well with the subject.

I hope I meet Matt's crit guidelines - please be gentle if I don't!

The vignetting I actually added in Elements with the Burn tool as I thought it would draw the eye into the centre of the frame. I know what you mean about a lean to the right but I've checked that centre line on the plinth with the grid in elements and it is vertical!

I suppose I know the scale as I see the subject in context, but I've got another shot with the bottom of the plinth here:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3129/2773774189_7fe01c8323_b.jpg

Do you think that is better?

Right you are! The base of the statue is horizontal and the plinth and statue are vertical. The "herbage" at the base of the statue certainly slopes and maybe the pattern of the stonework contributes to it not looking vertical. Sorry for not checking before commenting.

Thanks for letting us see the other shot. I've still got no sense of the monument's comparative size, but isolating it against such a clear sky is a major part of the message, which is quite overpowering.

Hi Eaglet,

See why you put the vignetting in, however, I think your second picture is superb. It sort of cries out for something else, perhaps a bird as suggested or a moon! Always worth a try adding either in ps. It may work.

Best regards

Chris

Thanks for this Russell. Do you mean I should deliberately crop to put the statue at an angle or to one side of the frame? I'm not sure I follow what you mean.

Do you think that is better?

I meant that the line up the centre of the pillar is not vertical and should be. When you had a straight version of the image I was suggesting that you crop in a way which takes that central line from the pillar away to one side or the other. So that it looks something like this:

2780439417_3084c7f08a_o.jpg

I didn't do any thing about the vignette in the crop.

Last edited:
I see what you mean Russell. Not sure about it though, seems to my eye that the space on the left now needs something more as Chris has suggested. Being a newbie at this it would be really helpful for me if you could explain why you think this is a better crop.

Usually a pic that follows a rule of thirds thing works better - so its just a case of re-framing what you've already done. Google the phrase - but images that conform tend to be more successful.

388303359098493820.jpg

/edit - how rude of me - its a cool photo - just needs to be re-framed as above.

And welcome to the forum

Last edited:
Back