Freelander? Which one

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Thinking of buying a used Freelander but getting mixed reports about different variants.......advice welcome........looking at anything from 2005.....I prefer diesel and manual transmission........

Had a 1.8 as a loner whilst my car was being sorted out some years back (around 2009/10) - hated it. Under powered, uncomfortable and for a 1.8 thirsty. Later had the 2.0TDi - see comments previously, a friend had/has the 2.2 TDi (SD4 I think) and that seems much better. Prefer the x-trail or the Rav 4 if I were to go for that type of vehicle, have driven and used both and they are ok imo better than the freelander. Mind, if I wanted a true 4x4 I'd get a Landover defender and do the job right ;)

Had a 1.8 as a loner whilst my car was being sorted out some years back (around 2009/10) - hated it. Under powered, uncomfortable and for a 1.8 thirsty. Later had the 2.0TDi - see comments previously, a friend had/has the 2.2 TDi (SD4 I think) and that seems much better. Prefer the x-trail or the Rav 4 if I were to go for that type of vehicle, have driven and used both and they are ok imo better than the freelander. Mind, if I wanted a true 4x4 I'd get a Landover defender and do the job right ;)

Thanks...I had a defender county 110 before but it was so bloody thirsty......and Mrs Archangel will me driving this mostly.....I don't like the shape of the x trail and I might just look at the rav4

Hi, I have owned the Freelander TD4 a decent drive but to many issues with it,The IRD gave me loads of trouble which I believe is a common fault and that was the problem the freelander just had to many common faults ,also I used mine on lots of farm tracks and found it OK but since changing to a X-Trail I haven't looked back ,a much more useful 4x4 with a 6 speed box average 45mpg were I do 30% motorway and 70%combined A and B roads its a little tiresome driving around town stopping and starting but I can live with that ,servicing is a doddle as I takes me 20mins to do a oil .filter and air filter change

Reactions: ST4
Hi, I have owned the Freelander TD4 a decent drive but to many issues with it,The IRD gave me loads of trouble which I believe is a common fault and that was the problem the freelander just had to many common faults ,also I used mine on lots of farm tracks and found it OK but since changing to a X-Trail I haven't looked back ,a much more useful 4x4 with a 6 speed box average 45mpg were I do 30% motorway and 70%combined A and B roads its a little tiresome driving around town stopping and starting but I can live with that ,servicing is a doddle as I takes me 20mins to do a oil .filter and air filter change

I am still not sure about the shape of the x trail.... :(

I had a td4 for about 3 years before my current car. It was easy to live with but thirsty and had less space inside then my current a3

As said its all down to what you want from the car,the shape of the x-trail can look a bit boxy but once inside I think you would be surprised ,my favourite other 4x4 was the Rav4 ,fine as a every day motor but it didn't cut it as a true 4x4 ....

I had a TD4 Freelander 2.0 diesel for about 5 years.
I loved it, never had a problem with it- though I think that was unusual :)
I was lucky to get about 30 to the gallon which dropped to 20 at 70mph.

I'd buy another one, but I'm a Landrover freak. It's just not the same having a pretend Landrover (even if they are better cars).

Currently have a 2013 Freelander 2, XS manual. Absolutely love it. Went on a Land Rover experience just before Christmas and realised I would bottle it before the Freelander would.

Ran a td4 freelander for 7 years without any real issues.

I've had many a time an xtrail as a loan car. I never liked them. I find the shape odd, the windows seemed to low compared to the driving position. And the interior is too decidedly low rent.

I have the same issue with the Toyota and Honda. And in addition with those two the embarrassment that you car wants to hide behind a tree and weep at the first sight of a grass based slippery field.

No, for a 2005 model the Landrover drives the best, can actually handle off-road (albeit the xtrail is okish as well) and is a much nicer place to be in. I'd go for the diesel.

For around £3000 you'll get a lot of car for your money. Personally I'd go for a fully loaded HSE model and nothing less. Plenty to choose from.

Last edited:
I drive off road every day of the week ,i have driven down dirt tracks to get to the bottom of a quarry and i can say now that the freelander is a waste of time ,were the xtrail in fully lock mode eats it ...now thats my experience with both cars ,if its a every day car just tootling around then i would say the freelander is a tad more refined and yes you have the badge ,you could also do what a lot of people do and thats do away with the rear prop shaft and just have a two wheel drive for better economy ,in fact if your looking at them just check that the prop shaft is still their ...

I had a 56 plate Freelander TD4 (very last of the Mk1's) for 3 years. In that time I put 90k hard miles on it, never missed a beat! Just a brilliant go anywhere vehicle.

I'm well aware that I had a 'good one' though.

I drive off road every day of the week ,i have driven down dirt tracks to get to the bottom of a quarry and i can say now that the freelander is a waste of time ,were the xtrail in fully lock mode eats it ...now thats my experience with both cars ,if its a every day car just tootling around then i would say the freelander is a tad more refined and yes you have the badge ,you could also do what a lot of people do and thats do away with the rear prop shaft and just have a two wheel drive for better economy ,in fact if your looking at them just check that the prop shaft is still their ...
I have an Xtrail, off road it's very limited - not a lot of ground clearance and no low transfer box and although I agree that the Freelander is a waste of time off road, I wouldn't say that the Xtrail is much better.

Mind you, it did give me great pleasure to pull a Disco out of the mud with it a couple of weeks back, although I suspect that another driver wouldn't have got it stuck - it's the first time that I've had to tow a Disco with the Xtrail because it got stuck, I normally only to Landies because they've broken down:)

Compared to my old Ford Maverick, which is extremely capable off road, both the Freelander and the Xtrail are a joke.

Horses for courses and tyres for terrain! If it's for proper off road use, the tyres will be less than ideal for road use but it'll be better off road than it would be on road tyres which would be far better on the black (bonded!) stuff.
Was reasonably impressed with the 2.2 JLR lump in the XF SportBrake loaner I had while mine was in for servicing and MOT. Thought the old 2.5 TDI 200 was pretty good in the 90 I had as well. Not sure I'd go for any of the faux x 4 brigade as an on road daily drive but if that's what you want, you pays yer money and yer takes yer chances!

Horses for courses and tyres for terrain! If it's for proper off road use, the tyres will be less than ideal for road use but it'll be better off road than it would be on road tyres which would be far better on the black (bonded!) stuff.
Was reasonably impressed with the 2.2 JLR lump in the XF SportBrake loaner I had while mine was in for servicing and MOT. Thought the old 2.5 TDI 200 was pretty good in the 90 I had as well. Not sure I'd go for any of the faux x 4 brigade as an on road daily drive but if that's what you want, you pays yer money and yer takes yer chances!
I wouldn't go as far to say the x-trail was a joke,all I can say through experience and having both vehicles and used them both around the farm the x-trail is very much capable unlike the freelander ,both were using OEM tyres .

Mrs Archangel will me driving this mostly.

Nah....the mechanic will......and then the scrap yard lad as he steers it to the crusher.

Only Landy to have is a defender.....for everything else there is a good offering from Mitsubishi, Toyota or Honda......:D

Thinking of buying a used Freelander but getting mixed reports about different variants.......advice welcome........looking at anything from 2005.....I prefer diesel and manual transmission........

I ve had 2 RAV4s the latest a Mark 3 RAV4 for 8 years a 2006 model - would go anywhere quietly and efficiently initially BUT the achilles heel was MPG - 26.4 and they have extensive DPF and EGR problems around that age - as it got older it needed the EGR cleaning monthly and then it started to get DPF problems. Be very careful buying a 2006 - 2011 RAV 4 - the model before was fantatstic ie the Mark 2 was a great great car but as soon as they stuck egrs and dpfs on them they went right to pot and Toyota would never acknowledge the problem. up to 2006 ok after that beware

There is no point moaning about mpg after having bought a 4x4, comes with the territory.

Lucky if my Patrol does anywhere near 30 mpg. But it goes where I need it to.Such is life.

Last edited:
I've owned a 3-door RAV4 (NRG), bought new. "Recreational Activity Vehicle" or something like that. Although technically a 4x4 it didn't (couldn't in fact) come close to the performance that's associated with true tough vehicles. That said, of all the cars I've owned it's been my favourite. Even better than my new-style Scirocco. Great design and comfort, and it could shift too. MPG was upper 30s and better. The Land Cruiser is a different beast altogether. Wish I'd pushed myself and bought one in 2008 instead a Landrover. Might still have it.

I bought a new Defender. There were a lot of things I liked about it, but I had so many problems within a couple of months I decided I'd never buy Landrover again, and certainly not a Freelander. They've had a reputation for all kinds of problems. Kept cropping up on the forums, driving owners round the bend, so to speak.

My year and a half with the Defender made me wonder if Landrover quality control consisted of a man in a dirty brown coat ticking down a list of boxes on a greasy clipboard. "Right men! Knocking off time. As long as the wheel nuts are tight, roll her out."

Last edited:
I've owned a 3-door RAV4 (NRG), bought new. "Recreational Activity Vehicle" or something like that. Although technically a 4x4 it didn't (couldn't in fact) come close to the performance that's associated with true tough vehicles. That said, of all the cars I've owned it's been my favourite. Even better than my new-style Scirocco. Great design and comfort, and it could shift too. MPG was upper 30s and better. The Land Cruiser is a different beast altogether. Wish I'd pushed myself and bought one in 2008 instead a Landrover. Might still have it.

I bought a new Defender. There were a lot of things I liked about it, but I had so many problems within a couple of months I decided I'd never buy Landrover again, and certainly not a Freelander. They've had a reputation for all kinds of problems. Kept cropping up on the forums, driving owners round the bend, so to speak.

My year and a half with the Defender made me wonder if Landrover quality control consisted of a man in a dirty brown coat ticking down a list of boxes on a greasy clipboard. "Right men! Knocking off time. As long as the wheel nuts are tight, roll her out."

I am just back from viewing a RAV4 and landcruiser....really impressed with both..... Have gone of the Freelander idea, a you said seem to be a lot of complaints on the interweb..

If you want to actually take it off road on a regular basis , its hard to beat a defender but i wouldnt buy a new one, i'd get one a few years old thats been looked after and had all its factory fitted bugs and niggles sorted out. (or an ex army one for the same reason)... however for regular on road use they are both basic and thirsty.

If you want something thats okay off road and okay on road then I'd say a ford ranger or Isuzu denver (The hilux is overpriced for what it is and no longer has the bullet proof rep the old ones had)

If you just want a chelsea tractor which will only ever go over road on tracks or when pulling a horsebox then Volvo or BMW is probably the way forward - it will however be a total joke off road or in snow, floods etc (in the 2014 floods we spent a lot of time pulling X types and for that matter discos and freelanders, out of floods with our Ranger)

It would e a cold day in hell before i bought a freelander for any of these roles

So after some test driving and poking at 4X4 I have got a short list.
All are 2005 models and will be used driving to and from work places....and will probably never see a muddy field.

My choices are: (in no particular order)
1. Toyota Rav4 XT-R
2. Mitsubishi Shogun Sport (I have had one of these before)
3. Landrover Freelander
4. Jeep Patriot

I have now weighed up the pros and cons for all and am totally baffled in which would be the best option.

so I have decided to use this method to choose...."Which would you prefer and why!":D
all the previous advice has been greatly appreciated but if you were the car salesman which would you try to sell me..... The car needs to be practical for everyday use, easily maintained and reliable.....and be good looking and cool like me;)

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

If you are unlikely to go off road in it but would like the 4x4 option for emergencies, have you considered the Volvo XC 70 or 90?

I seriously considered the XC70 ,test drove a few, but decided that it would not be good enough off road to replace the patrol,not surprising really, but did like the build quality and comfort.

Just an option for you to consider.

S

1. Toyota Rav4 XT-R
3. Landrover Freelander
4. Jeep Patriot

1.....Hairdressers car.
2.....Reliable,crap off road, but sorta cool.
3.....Buy shares in a garage,you`ll need it.
4.....See number 3.

I hope that deep and insightful review of your choices helps......:D

If you are unlikely to go off road in it but would like the 4x4 option for emergencies, have you considered the Volvo XC 70 or 90?

I seriously considered the XC70 ,test drove a few, but decided that it would not be good enough off road to replace the patrol,not surprising really, but did like the build quality and comfort.

Just an option for you to consider.

I cant get the missus to go for a Volvo....Seems to have a dislike for them :(

I cant get the missus to go for a Volvo....Seems to have a dislike for them :(
My Mrs is the same, says it an old gits car, but I am an old git was my reply.

Seriously,the D5 versions are quite pokey, very nice to drive as well.

My Mrs is the same, says it an old gits car, but I am an old git was my reply.

Seriously,the D5 versions are quite pokey, very nice to drive as well.
Funny my missus said the same...." that you are an old git!":D and thanks for the advice

So after some test driving and poking at 4X4 I have got a short list.
All are 2005 models and will be used driving to and from work places....and will probably never see a muddy field.

1. Toyota Rav4 XT-R
3. Landrover Freelander
4. Jeep Patriot

I have now weighed up the pros and cons for all and am totally baffled in which would be the best option.

so I have decided to use this method to choose...."Which would you prefer and why!":D
all the previous advice has been greatly appreciated but if you were the car salesman which would you try to sell me..... The car needs to be practical for everyday use, easily maintained and reliable.....and be good looking and cool like me;)

1. RAV4 - really don't like it, it's a Toyota. And old peoples boring car with a reputation for reliability yet in practise I've had nothing but issues with the brand. Not a nice place to be in. More something for a blue rinse pretend suv.
2.Shogun sport - too utilitarian for my liking. More pickup truck turned into a family car. Rather old fashioned.
3. Freelander - rather common but for a good reason. Great value proposition, much nicer place to be in. Pick the right colour and trim level and it will have some presence. More true to what it is without being all utilitarian about it.

4. Jeep Patriot - kinda cool. The outlier. Quirky and different. Not as boring and old people as the RAV4, not as old and utilitarian as the shogun. And not as common as the freelander. Choose the colour wisely as it can be a bit hit and miss. I like it, but from that set I would still pick the freelander.

All my opinion of course.

Ps. To quality my post. I used to have a Nissan Patrol, Murano and Navara and test drove all the competition at the time. Also had a Toyota Prius (nothing but trouble with dealer and Toyota UK) which we traded in 1.5 years ago for our current main family car a Mercedes GL Class AMG Sport mainly because Landrover would give a penny discount and after driving it it was clearly better. My second runner and third runners are a Golf R (also 4wd) and an Audi Quattro.

Last edited:
If you get a clean, well looked after RAV4 with reasonable mileage, I really can't think of anything else you'd need. The 3-door was a delight to drive, good economy, comfortable over distances and very well designed. Good luck!

10866-1426937624-5c1e7c89fec90fa0810b052648352191.jpg

Last edited:
Bugger! The wife has just seen a Honda CRV......have to add that to the list
Really? Sounds like she is just after a small ordinary family hatchback if she like those and the RAV4 etc. May as well add a ford kuga and vw Tiguan.

Bugger! The wife has just seen a Honda CRV......have to add that to the list
Mrs Frac has one, reliability is superb and it does ok`ish off road with 50/50 tyres on it.

Reactions: ST4
What milage you going to be doing?

If you are buying an old diesel to save money then consider whats been said about EGRs, DPFs and DMFs. Short journeys aren't going to be good for any of them. Think about total cost of ownership, not just MPG and road tax (VED).

Also, the only thing that put me off the Xtrail (and only paper it had everything I wanted) was the failures reported on the turbos.

Last edited:
Back