Freesat or Freeview ?

Which do you consider the best choice for quality ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Edit My Images
Yes
Have cancelled my Sky HD TV package from next month and going to use either Freesat or Freeview. I have both Freesat & Freeview built into my tv, As my wife wants to be able to record two channels while watching a third (depending on the mux I think the term is) I will need a new box. I'm told apparently Sky will still charge a fee if I want to use the Sky HD box for recording.
The Humax Foxsat 500 seems to have the best reviews at the moment, only it seems a waste as I already have Freesat and Freeview. Is there a recorder only that has the same benefits as Humax boxes?

Should we go Freesat or Freeview ?

you cant get Dave, Fiver or FiveUS (is it still called that) and the music channels sucked...main reasons we left Freesat (shame because the humax box was awesome).

I reckon the Freesat with Humax is much better quality than Freeview, mind you, never used a Humax to see Freeview.

Why not have both, our TV already has a freeview decoder built in (most new TV's have this), plus we also have a Humax box. Best of both systems and it is all free.

Forgot to mention if you still have one of the old analog satellite systems, then just point it at Hotbird and you will get Eurosport in English free as well.

Shame Freesat is missing those few channels (couple of music, Dave etc.) but personally I don't miss them.....

Other than that theres really not a lot of difference now HD is shared between both formats.

I stopped my sky package over a year ago and the card still works in the box for freesat, also have freeview built into the TV
Both have the odd channel that you can't get on the other

As luck would have it, I just printed off a channel list for Freesat today as I felt there must be more than there was when I got it for the World Cup last year, so feel free to check out the so-called 150 channels http://www.freesat.co.uk/what-you-get/our-channels

If you want HD it'll cost you a new box, and it becomes a case of weighing one up against the other. My TV has Freeview built in and I had a Sky dish, so Freesat was an easy choice when I wanted to go HD as Freeview HD wasn't available up here then.

Are you in a cable area? Virgin are offering the tivo box for free to new customers. That can record 3 channels at once and if you get phone and broadband with them it costs about £3 a month for the tv on top....

Other than that you'll need to spend £200+ to find a box that will record two channels at once on freeview. The register did a top 10 HD box review: http://www.reghardware.com/2011/10/11/ten_freeview_hd_recorders/

Recording two and watching a third channel is quite a rare feature on a lot of the twin tuner pvrs. Most let you record two but force you to watch a pre-recorded programme.

Back